• The KillerFrogs

Poll: What QB gets the most B12 snaps

Pick Him-Who gets the most snaps in B12 play?

• Delton

Votes: 40 29.4%
  • Collins

Votes: 14 10.3%
  • Duggan

Votes: 57 41.9%
  • Rogers

Votes: 20 14.7%
  • Baldwin

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.5%

• Total voters

netty2424

It's kind of ridiculous how much a kid's 247 or Rivals recruiting ranking weighs into how "good" we think they are, and how that seems to definitively set their ceiling as a player. If Collins was a 4-star recruit and played exactly the same way he played last year we'd all have a completely different opinion of him right now. If Shawn Robinson had been a 2-star kid with only a few offers, nobody would have wanted him to see a field again after the 2017 Tech game. Instead, since he was highly recruited, we raved about his pretty incompletions and nice spirals.

Tom Brady split time with Drew Henson his senior year at Michigan. Kurt Warner couldn't get a D1 offer. Drew Brees had to go to Purdue because nobody down here really wanted him. I could name about 50 others. A kid can become a completely different player at 21 than he was at 18. Who the heck knows how this will all play out, I'm just glad it looks like there's going to be some real competition.
247/recruiting rankings are useful. 99% of fans aren’t recruiters or have the time to evaluate all kids across the country. It’s definitely not an exact science, but it can be helpful.

That said, I get a kick out of the “this is a huge get” comments when a kid commits after watching a thirty second hudl highlight video.

McFroggin

I think Collins could be fine. It’s possible that his last season experience could mean the game will slow down for him. The tough part is that although he didn’t turn the ball over like SR, he did nothing that made us better on 3rd down and red zone conversion rates. We didn’t have a QB last year who could keep drives going with their arm. While Collins was a surprise that he could “run” from the RPO, I don’t think any of us think he could do that more then a 3-4 times a game. He’ll win or loose the job with his arm.

It’s a shame that this QB competition will be so much fun and we won’t know anything about it until the actual season starts

Collins had the best deep ball last year. He brings a legit downfield threat. Downside is that he often skips balls on short passes. Could be freshman jitters. He will be ready this year.

Eight

247/recruiting rankings are useful. 99% of fans aren’t recruiters or have the time to evaluate all kids across the country. It’s definitely not an exact science, but it can be helpful.

That said, I get a kick out of the “this is a huge get” comments when a kid commits after watching a thirty second hudl highlight video.

i would counter with jalen reagor's hudl video.

you could see he was different on the lateral pass that goes wrong and ends up as a touchdown against ennis and the screen pass that gets blown up by highland park and ends up a touchdown show the very same skills you see on the screen pass against baylor that jeremy sites as reagor's signature play.

LawFrog504

Good point...
Who thinks Andy Dalton was a good quarterback for TCU?
In Andy’s soph year his stats were 182 completions of 307 attempts for 59.3% rate. He played in 11 games for 2242 yards with 7.3 yards per attempt. 11 Tds to 5 int. for a 129.2 rating.
Mike Collins played in only 5 games, was 79 of 140–56.4% for 1,059 yds with 7.6 yards per attempt. He had 6 Tds and 2 int. with a 131.3 rating.
I would not rule out Mike Collins in this discussion. Just saying. I also remember the Trevone Boykin haters before 2014. Quarterbacks grow up and game slows down. We’ll see….
I've seen it all. Truly. My god. Honest question, how much fentanyl do you pour into your coffee to convince yourself of this crap? What sober, IQ>55 person believes this?

Michael Collins sucks. End of story. He 4 hops intermediate routes and has no useful mobility. If he's the QB this fall then that blows, because we are wasting probably the greatest roster of individual talent we've ever had. It should also signal the beginning of a criminal investigation into the offensive staff, that we have 5 guys in the room and he's the best we can do. Get a grip folks

tcumaniac

I've seen it all. Truly. My god. Honest question, how much fentanyl do you pour into your coffee to convince yourself of this crap? What sober, IQ>55 person believes this?

Michael Collins sucks. End of story. He 4 hops intermediate routes and has no useful mobility. If he's the QB this fall then that blows, because we are wasting probably the greatest roster of individual talent we've ever had. It should also signal the beginning of a criminal investigation into the offensive staff, that we have 5 guys in the room and he's the best we can do. Get a grip folks
giphy.gif

jake102

It’s one thing to be a game-manager for a juggernaut program that recruits 4 and 5-stars by the boatload.

TCU needs a game-changer at QB to contend for the playoff.

Big 12 title, maybe not, but playoff, yes

That wasn't the statement that was provided. "I can't remember the last time a game manager made it into the playoffs or during BCS"

jake102

If I'm just basing it on what I've seen between the two playing actual games instead of second hand reports about practice.

Definitely an interesting angle on it. Collins certainly looked like a better QB in real Big 12 games than Delton.

If you converted the poll statistics into odds, there's HUGE value on whatever you could get on Collins, basically at 10%.

asleep003

Collins' background is a little more pedigreed than most may realize. He won 3 consecutive state championships. As a Sr in Connecticut, he threw 54 TDs/ was 1st team all state/ plus finished 5th all time in career TDs, for the state.

This means that there is proof of leadership/ knows how to win/ definitely can throw the ball/ and we saw in 2018, he has very serviceable wheels.

netty2424

Collins' background is a little more pedigreed than most may realize. He won 3 consecutive state championships. As a Sr in Connecticut, he threw 54 TDs/ was 1st team all state/ plus finished 5th all time in career TDs, for the state.

This means that there is proof of leadership/ knows how to win/ definitely can throw the ball/ and we saw in 2018, he has very serviceable wheels.
My high school was bigger than the entire state of Connecticut.

Froggish

The thing most working against Collins is what we’ve seen of him...The question is was his uneven play due to his own ineptness, inexperience, Cumbie, or poor play around him...We’ll find out...He was essentially 1-3 in games he started or took most the snaps in. Not to mention that in those 4 games he played against some of the poorest defenses in the league.