• The KillerFrogs

Bob Lilly is 80

Eight

Still the Greatest Dallas Cowboy ever IMO !

i know bob was the cowboy's first ever first round draft pick, curious who actually was the first cowboy player..

among the players taken before bob in the nfl draft that year are mike ditka, billy kilmer, and herb adderly who played with bob on the cowboy team that won their first super bowl.

Dogfrog

Lilly was a unique athlete 6-5, 260, strong and very quick. Hard to block - strong enough to stand blockers up, then seemed to almost slide off blocks and ran people down as well as anybody ever. Truly all time great disrupter.

Leap Frog

Glad the article mentioned Don Floyd, who teamed with Bob at tackle to form a wrecking ball machine.
Don was a two-time first team All- American ( on either offense or defense) while Bob was the greatest on defense.
Floyd is not talked about much-- maybe because he died so young, and is not remembered as much as Lilly.
Anyway, in 1959, they killed Longhorn hopes of a natty, and tore up Don Meredith and the Mustangs fine bunch.

Frog DJ

Leap - thanks for mentioning Floyd! He was a truly fantastic player, who opponents simply could not stop. Yet, as you say - he's often overshadowed by Lilly's gargantuan presence.

Bob Lilly was a tremendous player, but he was an even nicer guy to kids who idolized him. I grew up less than a mile from the practice field, and rode my bike over to watch practice.

Most of the players would ignore a skinny, red-headed 10-year old kid, but Lilly went out of his way to make me feel special. He'd smile and yell, "Hey Red, how ya' doin', today?"

I can clearly recall sitting on the grass one day, when he walked over and sat down next to me. He chatted like we were old friends, and I just floated home on Cloud Nine!

Happy Birthday to one the best TCU players of all time. Even though you told me to call you "Bob," I could never bring myself to call you anything other than "Mr. Lilly."

Go Frogs!