• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

CountryFrog

i think you are under estimating the impact of the texas support staff in their recent recruiting success again in certain parts of the state they have not been able to penetrate.

samples was hired at smu as a wide receiver coach and has never coached why? his connections in dallas.

when mensa left uh, lsu made a big push to hire carrington. why? his connections in the houston area.

it isn't simply about knowing the high school coaches, but also the personal trainers, sponsors for 7-on-7 etc....and these connections matter in recruiting.

in response to the utilization of the social media platforms i think many of us on here are viewing this from our perception and not the mindset of teenager who basically are who you are targeting in recruiting.

my kids are on their phones all the time keeping in touch with friends etc... and that is the norm for them. you put our son on the phone and you might get 2 minutes out of him as opposed to if you text or message him.

go back and read the comments in the article a few weeks back about what some of the kids didn't like about recruiting.

what tcu has done is great, but i do not agree that the benchmark going forward is we have done better than schools are size with our resources.

if that is the attitude we are to take going forward lets start counting the day for this to end. anyone who makes their living know off commission knows that each day you have to get up and start the process all over. that nothing stays the same and when your competition changes around you and gains and edge you either try to keep up or lose ground.

if the ultimate goal for tcu is to compete for big 12 titles then that means we are gong to go head to head with ou and texas for recruits. yes, they have big advantages, but this current roster includes a number of kids that were signed by tcu and sought by those schools.

in the end it is gary's choice how his program is run be it recruiting, coaching staff, players etc.....he also has made mistakes at times and there are areas that can be improved.
The goal is to compete for conference and national championships which we have done some of. But we're never going to consistently out recruit Texas or Oklahoma (at least not in the recruiting rankings). I'm fine with just winning lots of games and until that comes to an end then I'm not going to worry about all the intricate details of recruiting and social media any more than I worry about how Whataburger makes my spicy bacon burger. Just make it and give it to me with onion rings and spicy ketchup.

Eight

The goal is to compete for conference and national championships which we have done some of. But we're never going to consistently out recruit Texas or Oklahoma (at least not in the recruiting rankings). I'm fine with just winning lots of games and until that comes to an end then I'm not going to worry about all the intricate details of recruiting and social media any more than I worry about how Whataburger makes my spicy bacon burger. Just make it and give it to me with onion rings and spicy ketchup.

no one said tcu had to out recruit texas or ou.

the roster tcu has this year is built with players that tcu won away from ou and texas, but the staff and the tactics have changed in austin and norman.

not a reason to panic nor redo everything, but if you don't evolve with the changes in your competitive environment things get difficult to keep up.

this isn't anything i will lose sleep over and it was brought up simply as a point of discussion on what is supposedly a site for discussion (no deference to you country as you are one who is willing to engage in conversation up to your point of tolerance without accusing others of being a troll).

asleep003

I'm not going to worry about all the intricate details of recruiting and social media any more than I worry about how Whataburger makes my spicy bacon burger. Just make it and give it to me with onion rings and spicy ketchup.

What brand of spicy ketchup do they use.... plus are the O-rings of the beer batter variety or of the crispy variety....

Last edited:

CountryFrog

no one said tcu had to out recruit texas or ou.

the roster tcu has this year is built with players that tcu won away from ou and texas, but the staff and the tactics have changed in austin and norman.

not a reason to panic nor redo everything, but if you don't evolve with the changes in your competitive environment things get difficult to keep up.

this isn't anything i will lose sleep over and it was brought up simply as a point of discussion on what is supposedly a site for discussion (no deference to you country as you are one who is willing to engage in conversation up to your point of tolerance without accusing others of being a troll).
That's fair. No doubt evolution is always needed in all this stuff.

Dogfrog

if you are accusing me of being a troll so sorry

Don’t be so defensive. If the Russians hire folks to infiltrate social media, and the CFP organization hires media trolls to to post positive arguments about the playoff, why wouldn’t UT use their back office people in this way? Seems to be a growing trend. Otherwise what do these social media dweebs do besides waste people’s time?

yurintroubl

So is TCU not doing these things? If not, why do they feel like they don’t need to?
I interpreted the "communities" thing to mean they (UT) had more people entrenched in the areas they heavily recruit (naturally facilitated by the huge # of grads in those areas). I imagine some form of a pro-horns echo chamber enveloping the majority of a recruit's potential influencers (coaches, teachers, community leaders/activists, perhaps entertainers, etc...) so that the recruit essentially thinks there is only one logical choice.

I dunno. I know A&M is a cult... wouldn't surprise me if UT was as well.

CryptoMiner

With dead period over TCU holding its final camp of the season and some interesting visitors expected. One I hope will get extra attention:

Devin Grant ATH (LB/DE/RB) 6-3/235 AS Antonian HS currently committed to Colorado. Exciting and versatile player..

Froggish

With dead period over TCU holding its final camp of the season and some interesting visitors expected. One I hope will get extra attention:

Devin Grant ATH (LB/DE/RB) 6-3/235 AS Antonian HS currently committed to Colorado. Exciting and versatile player..

That guy seems like he would fit into GPs wheelhouse. Tiny school prospect that was clearly better then everyone else on the field.

Farmfrog

I’m trying to figure out why so many on here are wondering how CGP runs his recruiting. He does it his way and feels it is the best way. I think Gary has changed whenever he has felt the need and will continue to do so. I would love to have the top class every year but that is totally unrealistic.

I can’t wait until the season starts.

Paint It Purple

I’m trying to figure out why so many on here are wondering how CGP runs his recruiting. He does it his way and feels it is the best way. I think Gary has changed whenever he has felt the need and will continue to do so. I would love to have the top class every year but that is totally unrealistic.

I can’t wait until the season starts.
Didn’t CGP send his staff to Alabama 2-3 years ago to study and learn from how Bama recruits? That makes it seem that GP is willing to learn from the best and change. At the time, it thought it was pretty cool that Saban would allow such insight.

SuperBarrFrog

Didn’t CGP send his staff to Alabama 2-3 years ago to study and learn from how Bama recruits? That makes it seem that GP is willing to learn from the best and change. At the time, it thought it was pretty cool that Saban would allow such insight.

Yup. And in exchange Bama assistant coaches got to come learn about out fast paced offense and won the national title again that year.

Ron Swanson

A tricky situation. Heard a while back the staff was in contact with Bishop and hoped nothing would come of it. I trust the coaches and kid looks like he just had a brain fart or something but it was a big one.

Heck of an athlete and sure they did enough due diligence so we shall see.
Is this the kid that tried to videotape himself having sex without the girl knowing it? If so, it’s bad but not terrible.

I’m not saying it’s ok to do that, but the act isn’t as bad as the “felony sex” whatever charge listed on his record makes it sound (IMO).