• The KillerFrogs

Tuesday Trivia - Summer Doldrums

Limp Lizard

The crazy deep freeze of '83, when the temperature plunged so far that buried pipes froze and burst around Campus. We lived in the fabulous old Westcliffe Manor, and it was without A/C for most of the Spring as they dug up and replaced the plumbing. The cold went as far south as the Rio Grande Valley, where oranges froze solid on the trees and the majestic old palms lining the roads all died.
That was by far the worst cold spell on record. I had just moved back to the area after 5 winters up north and felt like I had brought back winter from Indiana/Connecticut. From DFW weather.org: "On December 18, 1983, one of the severest Arctic cold snaps in modern day plunged into Texas. The mercury dipped below freezing at 7:00 am on December 18th and remained below freezing until 2:00 pm, December 30th, for a record of 295 consecutive hours of freezing/subfreezing temperatures. This of course made December 1983 the coldest December on record for Dallas/Fort Worth with an average monthly temperature of 34.8°F. This is 12.1°F below normal for the month and 4°F colder than any other cold December of record. The coldest temperatures recorded during this period was 5°F on December 22, 1983." Lots of guys working on the holidays in single-digit temps with water around the freezing point...really felt sorry for them. 12.29 days at or below freezing!!!

My strangest at TCU was in the Spring of 1966 when one morning I looked out my window at Milton Daniel and saw my car, parked on Stadium drive almost completely submerged, with water about halfway up the lawn between Stadium and MD (pre-Moncrief, obviously). Had to get a brand new interior in my car, which was not as good as the original.:(

Froginbedford

That was by far the worst cold spell on record. I had just moved back to the area after 5 winters up north and felt like I had brought back winter from Indiana/Connecticut. From DFW weather.org: "On December 18, 1983, one of the severest Arctic cold snaps in modern day plunged into Texas. The mercury dipped below freezing at 7:00 am on December 18th and remained below freezing until 2:00 pm, December 30th, for a record of 295 consecutive hours of freezing/subfreezing temperatures. This of course made December 1983 the coldest December on record for Dallas/Fort Worth with an average monthly temperature of 34.8°F. This is 12.1°F below normal for the month and 4°F colder than any other cold December of record. The coldest temperatures recorded during this period was 5°F on December 22, 1983." Lots of guys working on the holidays in single-digit temps with water around the freezing point...really felt sorry for them. 12.29 days at or below freezing!!!

My strangest at TCU was in the Spring of 1966 when one morning I looked out my window at Milton Daniel and saw my car, parked on Stadium drive almost completely submerged, with water about halfway up the lawn between Stadium and MD (pre-Moncrief, obviously). Had to get a brand new interior in my car, which was not as good as the original.:(

Yep, a pre-dawn cloudburst shut down places all over town that didn't normally flood....Lots of folks late to school/work that day....

Armadillo

November 9th, 1991. The infamous TCU v atm Thursday night game on ESPN. Crazy cold front blew thru that afternoon. Incredibly windy and COLD! And an absolute horrible game. Not the craziest weather event I witnessed at TCU, but the one I associate with a TCU sporting event.

Purp

November 9th, 1991. The infamous TCU v atm Thursday night game on ESPN. Crazy cold front blew thru that afternoon. Incredibly windy and COLD! And an absolute horrible game. Not the craziest weather event I witnessed at TCU, but the one I associate with a TCU sporting event.
Worse than the Baylor freezing monsoon game?