• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Purp

I, for one, believe that you can never go home again. As Purp mentioned, new coach and new team since he was once there. Would be interesting to see.

He must be one super weird dude though. This has really changed my opinion of him, not negatively really, just more of a really? Really, you’re that weird guy? I mean I get not liking coworkers, but hardly ever going out with them, when there’s not many of them to begin with...? Not attempting to learn the language very much (if true)...?

Now, sources are saying Real would be willing to tear up his contract and let him to leave to China for free. That says a lot. But I mean, if the dude found Spain weird, China would be like Mars for him.
I think he'd fit well at White Hart Lane even with the new manager and changed roster. No clue about the weird dude vibe, though. I think his style would mesh well with the current roster and MP's style and I know the fans would welcome him back.

My only concerns are really 2.

1) He's 30 and has a history of injuries so you can't pay the kind of money he's currently making to a guy like that at his age. If RM is paying half his salary I think that becomes more practicable, though.
2) The midfield and forward lines in Spurs' formations are littered with talent so who comes off the pitch to make a space for him? It could be a good thing for both Bale and the club, however, if there is so much depth that he can find more rest between outings and keep himself healthy.

For me I think Cissoko has established himself as a fixture in the center of the park, which allows Erikson to roam more into wide positions and really anywhere he wants to go. Neither of those guys should come off the pitch for anybody. Son, likewise, has established himself as an entrenched regular. And I haven't even mentioned Dembele or Dele Alli. If you introduce Bale into this mix Dele will become a more regular sub unless you go with 5 in the midfield and Kane alone up top.

Clearly Kane is a striker who should always be in when healthy. You could maybe put Bale, Son, or Erikson in behind Kane with the others out on the wings to create more space in the midfield for everyone. The trouble is, you guys like Harry Winks and Oliver Skipp get fewer chances as a result.

The #2 conundrum is a nice problem to have, but is the reason why I said previously it may not be the most responsible way to spend money. I think you need to spend on a right back to replace Trippier for sure, but it's hard to pass on a talent like Bale who still has a few great years left in him if he comes at a bargain price.

tcujsauce

Digging Bayern’s UCL third kit. Probably going to have to shell out some cash for one of dems.

Still trying to get my voice back from Houston.

Chongo94

I present to y’all, Carlos Valderrama’s new hair style....

15140aa15d39bdf596559edff2840608.png

TAINTed frog

Gareth Bale, scorer of the winning goal in two of the last six European Cup Finals, has been told to go away by Madrid. So much for gratitude. Apparently, since he earns $17m per year AFTER TAXES, he has refused a reduction in wages and told them "scheiss you pay me." Which I would do too. Supposedly RM wants €60-70m. Spurs rumored to be interested, with Madrid paying half his salary.

Spurs fans here: would you all want him back?

edit: €60-70m; it's early and I haven't had my requisite two cups of coffee yet.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/soccer-transfers/story/3903943/zidane-a-disgrace-for-bale-comments-agent

It's all pretty wild. His contract with Real is breathtakingly awesome for him. I don't blame him *too* much for just hanging around. He makes close to $400,000 A WEEK...

Shoot, continue to recover over the next 6 months to a year, maybe he comes back to some degree the way he was even though he'll be ~ 31. But collecting $400,000 a week and sticking it to Real may be what he wants do.

Purp

Seems dubious to me b/c it says the federation is including payments it makes to the women's pro soccer league for salaries paid to national team players. That's certainly a subsidy the men don't get, but I don't think it's proper to include that outlay in comparing compensation received for games played in the national team kits.

It does help their case that they make subsidies to the professional women's league to grow that game. If they're making similar subsidies to MLS and not disclosing it in this report that would be dishonest, but I don't think they are.

I do think these numbers reinforce the stance that, as a percentage of revenue generated, the women are paid better than the men and that is more than equitable for the women. The figure about losses sustained in matches hosted domestically is also compelling. It's clear the women aren't generating as much revenue b/c there's no way their matches cost more than those the men play, yet the operating loss sustained for the men was 10% of the loss sustained on the women.

Eight

Seems dubious to me b/c it says the federation is including payments it makes to the women's pro soccer league for salaries paid to national team players. That's certainly a subsidy the men don't get, but I don't think it's proper to include that outlay in comparing compensation received for games played in the national team kits.

It does help their case that they make subsidies to the professional women's league to grow that game. If they're making similar subsidies to MLS and not disclosing it in this report that would be dishonest, but I don't think they are.

I do think these numbers reinforce the stance that, as a percentage of revenue generated, the women are paid better than the men and that is more than equitable for the women. The figure about losses sustained in matches hosted domestically is also compelling. It's clear the women aren't generating as much revenue b/c there's no way their matches cost more than those the men play, yet the operating loss sustained for the men was 10% of the loss sustained on the women.

this starts getting to a place where the women need to be very, very careful what they are trying to accomplish.

my understanding is that the us is one of a very few countries that combine the men's and women's soccer associations under the same entity.

the women's league can not survive without the ussf and i really don't think they want to start standing on their own revenues versus sharing the revenues.