• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

PO Frog

talking with some friends who are high school coaches the frogs have got some guys on their coaching staff that are really liked and i think they do a good job of establishing relationships.

the impression i have been given is that the coaches could use some "back office" support in the branding and marketing.
That's the type of thing GP bragged on the most at the last recruiting dinner...back office behind the scenes folks. If we are still deficient, maybe he doesn't realize it.

Eight

That's the type of thing GP bragged on the most at the last recruiting dinner...back office behind the scenes folks. If we are still deficient, maybe he doesn't realize it.

i think we have hired to recruit in a specific way and when i talk to friends in high schools tcu is not the most creative in marketing and branding the program to high school coaches and players.

netty2424

talking with some friends who are high school coaches the frogs have got some guys on their coaching staff that are really liked and i think they do a good job of establishing relationships.

the impression i have been given is that the coaches could use some "back office" support in the branding and marketing.
What exactly do “back office” people do in recruiting.

From a marketing perspective, what is it that UT does that TCU doesn’t? I ask seriously bc I couldn’t tell you the last time I noticed any type of marketing campaign UT has put out that wasn’t advertising by one of the major networks for an upcoming game. Not like UT themselves were paying for that.

Eight

From a marketing perspective, what is it that UT does that TCU doesn’t? I ask seriously bc I couldn’t tell you the last time I noticed any type of marketing campaign UT has put out that wasn’t advertising by one of the major networks for an upcoming game. Not like UT themselves were paying for that.

texas back office does a great deal of work using the various social media platforms to create a brand that has become very popular among high school prospects, they use the platforms to establish relationships with individuals and groups in the communities they are targeting for recruiting,

this isn't about creating a facebook page or an instagram account. they are driving targeted content out to prospects, to individuals and groups who might be involved with the prospects and are using the platforms to establish relationships with these kids.

a common theme from kids when they commit to texas is the relationship they have established with carrington and samples (before he left for smu) and these are two guys who are staffers.

biggest equivalent for tcu would be the work hernandez did in recruiting plant.

MTfrog5

Funnel kids to the right donors is what Carrington does

Moose Stuff

Based on the hype and edit jobs that other universities are employing I’d say your right. As for our coaching staff, I think they are excellent in front of kids but their evaluation process is far to slow. TCU will rarely win 4/5 star recruiting battles being the 20th team to offer a kid. We get on the top recruits way to late in the process. I’m sure it’s somewhat related to not wanting to waste bandwidth on long shots but why not swing for the fence more often

You realize that this post is essentially telling a guy who might be the best evaluator in the Big 12 and one of the best in the country that he and his staff aren’t evaluating the right way???

netty2424

texas back office does a great deal of work using the various social media platforms to create a brand that has become very popular among high school prospects, they use the platforms to establish relationships with individuals and groups in the communities they are targeting for recruiting,

this isn't about creating a facebook page or an instagram account. they are driving targeted content out to prospects, to individuals and groups who might be involved with the prospects and are using the platforms to establish relationships with these kids.

a common theme from kids when they commit to texas is the relationship they have established with carrington and samples (before he left for smu) and these are two guys who are staffers.

So is TCU not doing these things? If not, why do they feel like they don’t need to?

Eight

So is TCU not doing these things? If not, why do they feel like they don’t need to?

i can only tell you what i am being told and what i am told is texas is doing the best job connecting with recruits and their communities via the social platforms.

i think a big part is the mindset and backgrounds of the people who work in those areas.

carrington was actively involved with on campus recruiting at uh, chang is very savy with the platforms, as was samples.

carrington is very, very tapped in to houston inner city and relates very well with the recruits as he is mid 20's and comes from a background that makes him very relatable to them. he got his job at uh in large part to a chance meeting with kevin sumlin in a pappadeaux's bar carrington was working and he asked sumlin how he could get into college coaching. all jokes aside the guy sold himself.

samples played at ut, is fairly young and is very, very tapped in to dallas via his dad.

horns director of high school services is bob shipley who have been coaching in texas for a number of years and was a head coach for several.

consider texas up until last week had carrington, chang, and samples are working on recruiting.

tcu's director of recruiting might be a great person, but the resume just isn't the same. she was an equipment manager at tcu, intern then ga for compliance, went to okie state to head up compliance for 8 months and then came back in 2017 to take over director of recruiting.

CountryFrog

All of what you're saying may well be true but do you really think social media and "back office" people are why Texas is popular among high school kids? Texas has been popular along high school kids for about 100 years and will continue to be for the next 100 years because they're Texas.

The constant woe is me act by some on here (I'm not saying this to you 8 it's just general people) about recruiting is so tired. TCU blows away pretty much every similarly sized school in recruiting every year and blows away many schools much larger in recruiting every year. I'd recommend looking at all the programs who wish they could've done what TCU has done over the last 10 years (that includes every program in this state) instead of constantly wishing we could get every single recruit that schools with 10X the enrollment and 100X the alumni get, all while losing to TCU's recruits just about every time they play each other.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
All of what you're saying may well be true but do you really think social media and "back office" people are why Texas is popular among high school kids? Texas has been popular along high school kids for about 100 years and will continue to be for the next 100 years because they're Texas.

The constant woe is me act by some on here (I'm not saying this to you 8 it's just general people) about recruiting is so tired. TCU blows away pretty much every similarly sized school in recruiting every year and blows away many schools much larger in recruiting every year. I'd recommend looking at all the programs who wish they could've done what TCU has done over the last 10 years (that includes every program in this state) instead of constantly wishing we could get every single recruit that schools with 10X the enrollment and 100X the alumni get, all while losing to TCU's recruits just about every time they play each other.
Agree completely. How many programs would not trade the last 10 years with TCU? It’s a pretty small number. Can frogs do better? Maybe. I’d hate to change what’s working and find out it doesn’t.

helcap

Texas has only missed a top ten recruiting class twice since 2006 ( I didn't bother to go back any further ). So its not like they have recently invigorated their brand with social media. As Moose Stuff posted earlier , recruiting lots of high ranked players has not historically been their problem.

Froggish

You realize that this post is essentially telling a guy who might be the best evaluator in the Big 12 and one of the best in the country that he and his staff aren’t evaluating the right way???

Remind me where I criticized GPs ability to evaluate..I simply mentioned being the 20th team to offer a player may not be the best way land a guy.

Last edited:

Eight

i think you are under estimating the impact of the texas support staff in their recent recruiting success again in certain parts of the state they have not been able to penetrate.

samples was hired at smu as a wide receiver coach and has never coached why? his connections in dallas.

when mensa left uh, lsu made a big push to hire carrington. why? his connections in the houston area.

it isn't simply about knowing the high school coaches, but also the personal trainers, sponsors for 7-on-7 etc....and these connections matter in recruiting.

in response to the utilization of the social media platforms i think many of us on here are viewing this from our perception and not the mindset of teenager who basically are who you are targeting in recruiting.

my kids are on their phones all the time keeping in touch with friends etc... and that is the norm for them. you put our son on the phone and you might get 2 minutes out of him as opposed to if you text or message him.

go back and read the comments in the article a few weeks back about what some of the kids didn't like about recruiting.

what tcu has done is great, but i do not agree that the benchmark going forward is we have done better than schools are size with our resources.

if that is the attitude we are to take going forward lets start counting the day for this to end. anyone who makes their living know off commission knows that each day you have to get up and start the process all over. that nothing stays the same and when your competition changes around you and gains and edge you either try to keep up or lose ground.

if the ultimate goal for tcu is to compete for big 12 titles then that means we are gong to go head to head with ou and texas for recruits. yes, they have big advantages, but this current roster includes a number of kids that were signed by tcu and sought by those schools.

in the end it is gary's choice how his program is run be it recruiting, coaching staff, players etc.....he also has made mistakes at times and there are areas that can be improved.

Eight

If a kid is picking Texas because glorified street agents are better at social media than TCU, they probably wouldn’t have made it playing for Patterson

you don't think tcu has relationships with trainers and team sponsors for 7-on-7 teams and you think samples and carrington are street agents?

LeagueCityFrog

Any new commits coming soon? If TCU is consistently #3 in the Big XII recruiting rankings every year until we win our next national championship, I'm good with that.

Let's win the Big XII this year and seen where the chips fall!

If we go up to Indiana and punish Purdue at their place in week 3, we will know a great season is coming.

MTfrog5

you don't think tcu has relationships with trainers and team sponsors for 7-on-7 teams and you think samples and carrington are street agents?
Carrington literally acted like he was a secret visitor to get people talking. Maybe it was because he never had a chance to get recruited so he wanted to know what it was like to put a uniform on. YesI 100% consider both of them street agents. Patterson is more respected than Herman based on a the Texas high school coaches poll that was done recently so I’ll take that over anything else.

Eight

Agree completely. How many programs would not trade the last 10 years with TCU? It’s a pretty small number. Can frogs do better? Maybe. I’d hate to change what’s working and find out it doesn’t.

the thing is changes have been made over that time period.

the program hasn't been static, staff changes have been made, there has been some big transition as some very valued long time friends retired, new people have come into the program, and changes have been made in recruiting.

luper had a big, big impact in some of the changes along with a staff member who i can't remember their name who left a few years back.

kenny perry and zarnell fitch both held the title of director of high school relations before moving to other positions.

brian hernandez played a key role in the recruiting of adam plant.

no one is saying you have to throw out everything you have done in the past, but evolution is needed when you are in a competitive sales environment.