• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why TCU won’t hesitate to start true freshman Max Duggan this season

Bob

"I fear that some on this board are underestimating Purdue."

No worries if the team stays at the Lafeyette Holiday Inn Express.

Purp

Not sure why … the Boilermakers went 5-4 in Big 10 play, beating both Ohio State and Iowa.
Outside of Rondale what exactly worries you about them?
They also were 6-7 last year with a loss to Eastern Michigan. The 5 years before that they went 7-6, 3-9, 2-10, 3-9, and 1-11. I know Jeff Brohm has them on the upswing since his arrival but they are a middle of the pack B10 team in a conference that is very top heavy
They also lost a huge number of starters. They under-performed last year

Yeah, I ain't skeerd. After they beat tOSU I watched several more Purdue games and was stunned they managed to beat tOSU as bad as they looked. They had one player on offense last year who helped them beat tOSU along with a special fan moment adding a little extra motivation for the group in that game. Aside from that game they were worse than Baylor. They have lost a lot from that unimpressive team last year, though their best player is returning. I just don't see CGP getting beaten by a single player on a one-dimensional offense that hasn't faced a defense this fast to include the one at tOSU.

If we lose this game it will not be because Purdue is better than us; it will be because we turn the ball over too many times, kick FGs instead of score TDs, and generally beat ourselves. Purdue does not make me nervous.

jake102

Yeah, I ain't skeerd. After they beat tOSU I watched several more Purdue games and was stunned they managed to beat tOSU as bad as they looked. They had one player on offense last year who helped them beat tOSU along with a special fan moment adding a little extra motivation for the group in that game. Aside from that game they were worse than Baylor. They have lost a lot from that unimpressive team last year, though their best player is returning. I just don't see CGP getting beaten by a single player on a one-dimensional offense that hasn't faced a defense this fast to include the one at tOSU.

If we lose this game it will not be because Purdue is better than us; it will be because we turn the ball over too many times, kick FGs instead of score TDs, and generally beat ourselves. Purdue does not make me nervous.

Bottom line - if we lose to Purdue, it doesn't really matter anyways

TAINTed frog

If we lose this game it will not be because Purdue is better than us; it will be because we turn the ball over too many times, kick FGs(/misses FGs) instead of score TDs, and generally beat ourselves. Purdue does not make me nervous.

Agree. And, if that's the case, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season (even if it's only game 2). In my opinion (outside of the injuries) those are top reasons for our poor play last year.

Purp

Agree. And, if that's the case, it doesn't bode well for the rest of the season (even if it's only game 2). In my opinion (outside of the injuries) those are top reasons for our poor play last year.
I agree with the caveat of our QB situation. I think most of our turnover and offensive struggles last year were QB related. A true freshman starting against Purdue should be much improved by the time he starts at the end of the year. Also, a 5th year senior starting against Purdue could be much worse than a true freshman starting later in the year. All things being equal, though, you're exactly right.

CardFrog

I would be surprised (very) if we lost to Purdue and if our QB situation is truly in flux I would expect that we would run the ball, control the clock and let a GMFP defense do what it does best. I agree with all that say if we lose there, we have bigger problems than we expected.The only chance I see for Purdue is it's a home game. 31-17 Frogs with a late score by Purdue making it look closer than it was.

TooColdU

By the time we play Purdue, they’ll be playing their 3rd game. They start @ Nevada, then vs. Vandy. Maybe that’ll help us have more film on them, or it could help Purdue figure things out.

Either way, it sucks that the game is at 7:30. I don’t think Coach P will give Duggan his 1st real start in a night game on the road.

Purp

I would be surprised (very) if we lost to Purdue and if our QB situation is truly in flux I would expect that we would run the ball, control the clock and let a GMFP defense do what it does best. I agree with all that say if we lose there, we have bigger problems than we expected.The only chance I see for Purdue is it's a home game. 31-17 Frogs with a late score by Purdue making it look closer than it was.
I'll be surprised if they reach double digits. My only slight concern would be us reaching double digits, but that's only a slight concern due to zero knowledge of our QB situation. I just can't see is getting shut down with any of these QBs, though. If Delton is running the offense at Purdue then it'll be because he is best situated to beat Purdue and we'll have a plan to move the ball with him.

Wexahu

FWIW, the preseason magazines say Purdue should be pretty solid on defense and they’ve got some talent at WR. The QB is a senior but he hasn’t done much yet and the interior O-line is probably the worst unit on the team.

Wexahu

Duggan was the Iowa state gatorade player of the year.

I think Shawn Robinson was the Texas Gatorade POY and we all saw how ready he was to play his true freshman year. I’m hopeful about Duggan but most likely he’s gonna need a decent amount of time to get up to speed.

LeagueCityFrog

ESPN College GameDay put out a Facebook post today highlighting TCU as the potential #3 team this year to win the National Championship per Phil Steele. We better beat Purdue. Did anyone watch them get massacred against Auburn in their bowl game last year?

If not, here you go....

tcumaniac

I think Shawn Robinson was the Texas Gatorade POY and we all saw how ready he was to play his true freshman year. I’m hopeful about Duggan but most likely he’s gonna need a decent amount of time to get up to speed.
Yeah. But Shawn was lazy, didn’t watch film, didn’t practice hard, and ultimately put in minimum effort to get by. It worked in high school, but his laziness and lack of motivation clearly caught up with him in college.

Max Duggan is the opposite of all of those things.

4th. down

Just going to leave this here...

game 1 - Delton, Collins, Duggan
game 2 - Delton, Collins, Duggan
game 3 - Delton, Duggan, Collins
game 4 - Delton, Duggan, Collins
game 5 - Duggan, Delton, Collins

Yep, on the road @ Iowa State, big game. We gotta win this one and Duggan saved us from an embarrassing loss to Kansas the week before. If Duggan takes us to a win here, we're off to the Big 12 Championship game.

Purp

While Dugan is a great young kid, he isn’t starting material yet. Collins and Delton have the lead. Baldwin could push for time by Purdue.
Baldwin won't take a single snap in fall camp. Best case he starts practicing after week 1, but that is no guarantee. He's not going to magically be ready to play against Purdue with only 2 weeks of practice and conditioning. If he does we're set for a bigger disaster at QB than last year. Since I don't think our QB situation is worse than last year I'm going with 0% chance Baldwin sees the field against Purdue.

netty2424

Baldwin won't take a single snap in fall camp. Best case he starts practicing after week 1, but that is no guarantee. He's not going to magically be ready to play against Purdue with only 2 weeks of practice and conditioning.
And that’s assuming he gets over the biggest hurdle and gets his waiver. Which I’m not convinced he will.

mesohornedfrog

ESPN College GameDay put out a Facebook post today highlighting TCU as the potential #3 team this year to win the National Championship per Phil Steele. We better beat Purdue. Did anyone watch them get massacred against Auburn in their bowl game last year?

If not, here you go....

A little misleading.. The Steele article was on best bets, i.e. teams that are not expected to compete for the national championship (>10-1 odds I think it was) that he argued would be a good ROI for bettors. Utah was #1 at 75-1 odds to win.

Frankly, all this talk about Duggan being ready to start, as a true freshman, in the Big XII is crazy.

There are several reasons why he will not do well for us:

1) Red hair. When has TCU ever had a QB with red hair that was good? Exactly. Plus, red hair = devil. He might as well be left-handed, and born on Friday the 13th under a full moon too.

2) He's from Indiana. You know who else is in Indiana? Andrew Luck. Is he any good? NO!

3) He's only 6' 2". Even Gunner could tell you that ain't tall enough. Can you name one good QB in the country in the past few years that did anything who was 6' 2" or less? I didn't think so.

4) His name is Max. We had a QB here a couple decades ago named Max, and he got cut from the Cowboys because he missed meetings or was late. So, QB's named Max are unreliable. Nuff said.

So, you all need to put down your crack pipes and get real. Plus, I have strong inside knowledge that the starting QB for the frogs will be none other than Coree Wrojers. He's coming back baby!!