• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

Purp

Kind of assuming it will be much larger than the frame, or they’ll some how relocate the speaker system and the screen will extend to to edge of the frame where the speakers used to be mounted on the ends.

Didn't CGP or ADJD say it would go from flag pole to flag pole? In that first picture that's from the middle of the two left most tunnels to the middle of the two right most tunnels. That's about where the front upright is in the 2nd picture on the right side and significantly wider than the supports. Gonna be yuuuuge if true.

TCUdirtbag

Still too small

I got internet murdered when I said this a year ago. Sure it’s a very nice upgrade but it’s still meh in terms of what’s being built today across the P5.

And I take issue with the “it’s slightly bigger than Baylor’s” argument. It’s also quite a bit further from the field / other fans (back and up). So that kind of cancels out at best.

Brog

I got internet murdered when I said this a year ago. Sure it’s a very nice upgrade but it’s still meh in terms of what’s being built today across the P5.

And I take issue with the “it’s slightly bigger than Baylor’s” argument. It’s also quite a bit further from the field / other fans (back and up). So that kind of cancels out at best.

Can't help but wonder what it would actually take to please us.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
Good Lord. You're at the game! You don't need to watch it on the TV, it's right there in front of you! If you wanted to watch it on the TV, you can stay at home and do so. Besides, they're going to do little but run commercials on the damned thing constantly, so getting a moment's peace during TV commercial breaks will be un-possible.

It will only make the "Gameday Experience" that much more miserable.

HFrog12

Somewhat agree and feel that if they are up there they might as well do a video board that is top 5 in the country. However, it will still be in the top 15 videoboards across all of college football. I wouldn't necessarily say its meh...

I think I would rather them keep those extra dollars and keep upgrading player/recruiting amenities. LSU just kicked it up a notch.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...includes-dedicated-sleeping-pods-for-players/

netty2424

Can't help but wonder what it would actually take to please us.
Good Lord. You're at the game! You don't need to watch it on the TV, it's right there in front of you! If you wanted to watch it on the TV, you can stay at home and do so. Besides, they're going to do little but run commercials on the damned thing constantly, so getting a moment's peace during TV commercial breaks will be un-possible.

It will only make the "Gameday Experience" that much more miserable.

It’s a video board. No one(maybe very few) in the stadium is watching the game on that video board. It’s primarily there for replays, kiss-cams, and recruiting.

But the reality is, and like it or not, this is the current landscape of college(and pro) football. It’s the bells and whistles that attract the big talent.

And before someone takes it too literally, no one is coming here because we have a video board bigger than Baylor. But it is the sum of the parts. It’s one of the many features staff can use to sell the program as a whole.

Tell me y’all understand this?

netty2424

Somewhat agree and feel that if they are up there they might as well do a video board that is top 5 in the country. However, it will still be in the top 15 videoboards across all of college football. I wouldn't necessarily say its meh...

I think I would rather them keep those extra dollars and keep upgrading player/recruiting amenities. LSU just kicked it up a notch.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...includes-dedicated-sleeping-pods-for-players/

Some funnies in the twitter comments.

FWIW, I remember seeing some North Endzone "Enclosure" mockups years ago as part of an AGC master plan briefing with CDC where he was trying to sell the ultimate Phase II/III of the remodel. The scoreboard was moved up on top of the north EZ and was MUCH bigger, practically the entire width of the north endzone... So, although I think the North EZ is at a minimum 5 years off (if ever), that may be why they aren't putting as much into this board... It's life might be short in that location with another build coming up.

For those who don't know or remember, the North EZ was once thought to add:

Another set of suits, club suits, and house a "TCU Athletic Club" that would enhance the offering for both Student Athletes and also offer a paid service for Alumni in the area. All the stuff you otherwise would have thought of. I think part of the inspiration was moving some space from the current Rec and Tennis Center to this Club and opening space in those areas for further enhancements there.

But, this was many years ago now, so I'm sure at this point this is all wrong.

For the record, a quick google tells me TCU's new video board will rank #9 in the country once installed, as measured by Sq Feet (the preferred measurement for these kinds of things):

108’4” wide and 48’6” high = 5,268 sq. feet

1. Auburn (10,830)
2. Oklahoma (7,849)
3. Texas A&M (7,661)
4. Texas Longhorns (7,370)
5. Miami (6,715)
6. Arkansas (6,286)
7. USC (6,000)
8. Michigan State (5,300)
9. TCU (5,268)
10. Arizona (5,264)
11. Mississippi State (5,217)
12. Ohio State (5,208)
13. Minnesota (5,208)
14. Baylor (5,029)
15. Memphis (4,704)
23. Texas Tech (3,800)

Salfrog

Tier 1
FWIW, I remember seeing some North Endzone "Enclosure" mockups years ago as part of an AGC master plan briefing with CDC where he was trying to sell the ultimate Phase II/III of the remodel. The scoreboard was moved up on top of the north EZ and was MUCH bigger, practically the entire width of the north endzone... So, although I think the North EZ is at a minimum 5 years off (if ever), that may be why they aren't putting as much into this board... It's life might be short in that location with another build coming up.

For those who don't know or remember, the North EZ was once thought to add:

Another set of suits, club suits, and house a "TCU Athletic Club" that would enhance the offering for both Student Athletes and also offer a paid service for Alumni in the area. All the stuff you otherwise would have thought of. I think part of the inspiration was moving some space from the current Rec and Tennis Center to this Club and opening space in those areas for further enhancements there.

But, this was many years ago now, so I'm sure at this point this is all wrong.

This what I remember also. That's why I was confused as to why the new suites on the east side didn't go all the way to the end. I figured this was going to be the first phase of closing in the NEZ, then the next would be to have the video board go side to side to enclose that area.

I guess the rest will be done in 2 or 3 more phases, but I could very well be wrong.

HFrog12

For the record, a quick google tells me TCU's new video board will rank #9 in the country once installed, as measured by Sq Feet (the preferred measurement for these kinds of things):

1. Auburn (10,830)
2. Oklahoma (7,849)
3. Texas A&M (7,661)
5. Miami (6,715)
6. Arkansas (6,286)
7. USC (6,000)
9. TCU (5,268)
10. Arizona (5,264)
12. Ohio State (5,208)
13. Minnesota (5,208)
14. Baylor (5,029)
15. Memphis (4,704)
23. Texas Tech (3,800)

Unacceptable, should be top 5. (sarcasm)

LeagueCityFrog

This what I remember also. That's why I was confused as to why the new suites on the east side didn't go all the way to the end. I figured this was going to be the first phase of closing in the NEZ, then the next would be to have the video board go side to side to enclose that area.

I guess the rest will be done in 2 or 3 more phases, but I could very well be wrong.

TCU was told the cost on that north endzone project would be an additional $40 million so it got shelved for now.

My guess is that Lupton Stadium gets some more magic next with a near scrape job renovation minus the new coaches offices and Louden Training center.

After that and the East Side expansion has been fully absorbed and TCU has collected all the money on the capital side AND if TCU football is still piping hot, then I would expect TCU Athletics to pull the North Endzone project back out and go after more younger alums and keep this purple train a moovin'.

LeagueCityFrog

1. Auburn (10,830)
2. Oklahoma (7,849)
3. Texas A&M (7,661)
5. Miami (6,715)
6. Arkansas (6,286)
7. USC (6,000)
9. TCU (5,268)
10. Arizona (5,264)
12. Ohio State (5,208)
13. Minnesota (5,208)
14. Baylor (5,029)
15. Memphis (4,704)
23. Texas Tech (3,800)

What was the square footage of the previous Amon Carter jumbotron they took down this Spring?