• The KillerFrogs

Your Three Favorite TCU Games

Froginbedford

I remember the Iowa State coach (McCarney?) being angry at the end of the game....Seemed he just didn't believe an MWC school could beat a Big 12 school....

Last edited:

Dogfrog

I remember the Iowa State coach (McCarney?) being angry at the end of the game....Seemed he just didn't believe an MWC school could beat a Big 12 school....

Yea he had to be pretty frustrated. Pretty sure I remember him being very gracious in his comments though. Always respected him.

Frog-in-law1995

This reminded me of the RGIII Fluke game. Has that been mentioned? I believe it was 35-0 at half time and may well have been 42-0 at half had we not run out of time. Scored a TD on ever first half possession. Complete dominance made extra sweet b/c it was baylor. But not just any baylor team; it was an RGIII baylor team talking all kinds of B12 boat leading up to the game getting absolutely boat raced in every single possible way. Darn baylor and darn RGIII. I think that was also the game roid rage coach got into it with some fans coming off the field.

And this first half dominance reminded me of the Texas game at Amon G. back in 2015 when we hung 30 on them in the first quarter and eventually got up 50 something to nothing.

Neither of these are top 3 for me, but that baylor game may be close to top 10 for me.

That was he game where that Baylor defender forgot how to run while chasing Wesley on a long TD. Somebody had a great gif of that guy falling down.

Froglaw

Football

Ut v. TCU- 1976 - TCU lost 81 - 16

My sister was a freshman and my Dad took everybody that would fit in the company van. Snowed to beat all heck. Coach Royal was targeted with snow balls. My high school girlfriend and the rest of the females headed to Colby at half time. Dad and I stuck it out.

Sun Bowl with Dad.

TCU v. Stanford in Fort Worth. The last game Dad went to before passing.

Dogfrog

Football

Ut v. TCU- 1976 - TCU lost 81 - 16

My sister was a freshman and my Dad took everybody that would fit in the company van. Snowed to beat all heck. Coach Royal was targeted with snow balls. My high school girlfriend and the rest of the females headed to Colby at half time. Dad and I stuck it out.

Sun Bowl with Dad.

TCU v. Stanford in Fort Worth. The last game Dad went to before passing.

81-16 was a rough one. I was a student drinking boot bourbon in the stands. It was ‘74.

Limp Lizard

81-16 was a rough one. I was a student drinking boot bourbon in the stands. It was ‘74.
After the game I was amazed at the statistics. Yardages were not all that different. But we had turnovers and penalties all day, giving them some really short fields. Plus late, they had fresh 4th teamers, who were more talented than our starters. Thank God for the 85 scholly limit!

Big Frog II

Sadly it did not snow at the 81-16 game. I wish we could have used that as an excuse. It snowed 2 years later in 1976. I think we lost that one by about 31-0. I did get to throw snowballs at Darrel Royal and company though.

Froglaw

I'm sure you're right on the score and the year.

I remember Chancellor Moody telling everyone at the pre-game BBQ in Daniel Meyer that the weather favoured TCU.

Snowed like there was no tomorrow.

Ut killed the Frogs. It was 1976 and I'm too lazy to look up the score.

Virginia Frog

I'm sure you're right on the score and the year.

I remember Chancellor Moody telling everyone at the pre-game BBQ in Daniel Meyer that the weather favoured TCU.

Snowed like there was no tomorrow.

Ut killed the Frogs. It was 1976 and I'm too lazy to look up the score.
1976 UTX at TCU, I was there too.

There was about 6-8" of snow on all the east-side bleachers. No one (stadium mgmt?) made any effort to clear the snow off for the students. The snow was overnight, not during the game, so there was plenty of time for someone to do something. The field then had a turf and the snow was cleared-off - so the weather had no real effect on the play of the game. (At 2pm kickoff, it was more damp than cold.)

This snow event was so dramatic that virtually all the plastic trays from the dining hall were taken for mini-sleds over at Worth Hills. Many kids skipped the game to go "sledding."

I stayed for the whole game too!

I do remember Johnny "Lam" Jones ('76 Olympic Gold medalist in track) taking a stroll for six points to the north end zone early in the game. Heisman '77 winner Earl Campbell was on that squad too.

Last edited: