• The KillerFrogs

247 Sports: TCU's Patterson excited about DE transfer Shameik Blackshear

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU's Patterson excited about DE transfer Shameik Blackshear

By Jeremy Clark

Despite injuries last season to key players including Ross Blacklock and Innis Gaines, TCU’s defense still managed to finish at the top of the Big 12 in total defense. Injuries aren’t a topic for concern at the moment but the Frogs do have some big shoes to fill.

Gone are the top two defensive ends from a year ago; L.J. Collier and Ben Banogu. Both players were selected high in the 2019 NFL Draft, Collier in the first round and Banogu in the second. Their loss leaves a ton of inexperience behind.

However, there is a bright spot that TCU fans are still learning more about; defensive end Shameik Blackshear. The grad transfer out of South Carolina is not only looking to add experience to the position, he’s looking to make an impact.

Read more at https://247sports.com/college/tcu/A...bout-DE-transfer-Shameik-Blackshear-133692229

ThisIsOurTime

I think we are going to be fine on the DL. We are strong at DT and that should help with the learning curve of the DEs. If we avoid the injury bug, I think by mid-season this may be the strongest part of the defense.

McFroggin

I’m not sure I ever recall a player who has gotten more GP hype then Mathis...

Historically that is a bad sign. While CGP is fairly honest about injuries, his comments regarding talent are often the opposite.

GCP historically criticizes our top talent, maybe as a way to motivate them to push harder.

CGP usually compliments our less talented players that put in the most effort/lead by example like Michael Downing Jr. There were so many times that CGP complimented Downing, and while he had heart, he was never NFL material. From the stands, I felt like I yelled at Downing more than anyone else.

Froggish

Historically that is a bad sign. While CGP is fairly honest about injuries, his comments regarding talent are often the opposite.

GCP historically criticizes our top talent, maybe as a way to motivate them to push harder.

CGP usually compliments our less talented players that put in the most effort/lead by example like Michael Downing Jr. There were so many times that CGP complimented Downing, and while he had heart, he was never NFL material. From the stands, I felt like I yelled at Downing more than anyone else.

Your comment makes since but I believe one of the most flattering comments on Mathis actually came from Banogu..Would that change your perspective?

I’ll add that GPs love for Downing was always centered around his effort, smarts, and attitude. It was easy to see he was using Downing as a wake up call to others..With Mathis he is already calling him a starter and throwing out his measurables which is highly unusual if you are playing possum.

McFroggin

Your comment makes since but I believe one of the most flattering comments on Mathis actually came from Banogu..Would that change your perspective?

I’ll add that GPs love for Downing was always centered around his effort, smarts, and attitude. It was easy to see he was using Downing as a wake up call to others..With Mathis he is already calling him a starter and throwing out his measurables which is highly unusual if you are playing possum.

I don’t have enough history on Banogu comments to make any generalizations.

I don’t recall CGP ever coming out and saying that Dalton, Boykin, Banogu, or whomever is going to dominate and impress the world. Instead he talked about how there was always a competition and that each QB/DE had gifts to demonstrate. Everyone on the planet could know the starter and GP would point out that Joeckel or LJ was up and coming. The lower talent gets the most compliments while he constantly pushes the best.

According to GP, Downing was a gift from heaven and a likely starter. I get that he was asked to join the staff after, but as a player, he lacked raw talent.

I only see compliments of Mathis as a bad sign, but maybe they will become the next Bench Cron opposite that throws the rule into a tailspin.

y2kFrog

I think we are going to be fine on the DL. We are strong at DT and that should help with the learning curve of the DEs. If we avoid the injury bug, I think by mid-season this may be the strongest part of the defense.

I think DE is the easiest position to play in the GP defense. There responsibility seems to be 90% speed rush the passer.

Frog DJ

I think all of us (me included) try to read between the lines too much.

I’m sure CGP uses his comments to the press as a motivational tool, but sometimes he just means what he says.

We all can’t get enough info about how this team is going perform, and the season simply can’t start soon enough.

But that’s what kf.c is for, I guess...

Go Frogs!