• The KillerFrogs

You Make The Call - 2019

Question #5
During a punt return, B21 delivers a blind-side block to A30 by attacking his opponent with forcible contact to the chest. The block by B21 was outside the field of vision for A30 and there is no helmet to helmet collision. The punt is returned for a TD.
a. No foul for blind-side block - Touchdown
b. Foul for blind-side block by B21. Fifteen yard penalty from the spot of the foul and B21 is disqualified.
c. Foul for blind-side block by B21. Fifteen yard penalty from the spot of the foul. B21 is not disqualified.
d. Foul for blind-side block by B21. Fifteen yard penalty from the end of the kick. B21 is not disqualified.

Question #5
During a punt return, B21 delivers a blind-side block to A30 by attacking his opponent with forcible contact to the chest. The block by B21 was outside the field of vision for A30 and there is no helmet to helmet collision. The punt is returned for a TD.
b. Foul for blind-side block by B21. Fifteen yard penalty from the spot of the foul and B21 is disqualified.
c. Foul for blind-side block by B21. Fifteen yard penalty from the spot of the foul. B21 is not disqualified.
d. Foul for blind-side block by B21. Fifteen yard penalty from the end of the kick. B21 is not disqualified.

Answer: C

It appears that interest in answering the questions has dropped, and that's ok.

In an effort to continue bringing rules information, from now on every couple of days or so I will post a scenario WITH the ruling that goes along with it. If you no longer want to see information, sent me a PM and request I stop. Trust me, it doesn't make me any difference.

Play Scenario #1
Try at the B-3. Team A's kick is blocked behind the line of scrimmage, but the ball bounces to the B-1 where B66 recovers. B66 returns the ball for a 2-point score. At the snap, B44 was line up offsides. During the return, A33blocks an opponent below the waist directly at the front in the 10/2 region. No score. The fouls for offside and blocking below the waist offset. Replay the Try from the B-3.

Play Scenario #2

Try at the B-3. Team A's kick is blocked behind the line of scrimmage, but the ball bounces to the B-1 where B66 recovers. B66 returns the ball for a 2-point score. During the return, B44 is flagged for holding. Also during the return, A33 blocks an opponent below the waist directly at the front in the 10-2 position. No score. The Try is over. (If both teams foul during the down and Team B had not fouled before the change of possession, the fouls "cancel" and the down is NOT repeated.

Play Scenario #3
Second and 10 at the B-30. The game clock is running in the second half. Team A trails by 2 points and is out of time outs. After the ball is ready for play, lineman A66 commits a false start, and when the officials stop the clock, it reads 13 seconds. Team B accepts the yardage penalty and the clock runoff. Ruling: Five-yard penalty with 10 seconds subtracted from the game clock which is set at 3 seconds. Second and 15 at the B-35. The clock starts on the Referee's signal.

Play Scenario #4
Same scenario as above however at the end of the play the clock reads 8 seconds. Team B accepts the yardage penalty and the clock runoff.
Ruling: The game is over. B wins.

Mean Purple

[QUOTE="Zebra Frog, post: 2734006, member: 184"]It appears that interest in answering the questions has dropped, and that's ok.

In an effort to continue bringing rules information, from now on every couple of days or so I will post a scenario WITH the ruling that goes along with it. If you no longer want to see information, sent me a PM and request I stop. Trust me, it doesn't make me any difference.

Play Scenario #1
Try at the B-3. Team A's kick is blocked behind the line of scrimmage, but the ball bounces to the B-1 where B66 recovers. B66 returns the ball for a 2-point score. At the snap, B44 was line up offsides. During the return, A33blocks an opponent below the waist directly at the front in the 10/2 region. No score. The fouls for offside and blocking below the waist offset. Replay the Try from the B-3.

Play Scenario #2

Try at the B-3. Team A's kick is blocked behind the line of scrimmage, but the ball bounces to the B-1 where B66 recovers. B66 returns the ball for a 2-point score. During the return, B44 is flagged for holding. Also during the return, A33 blocks an opponent below the waist directly at the front in the 10-2 position. No score. The Try is over. (If both teams foul during the down and Team B had not fouled before the change of possession, the fouls "cancel" and the down is NOT repeated.[/QUOTE]

sorry, keep getting crazies taking over my work schedule and never get to these until way to late.

Mean Purple

@Zebra Frog , thought this is as good a thread as any to get your opinion on what the SEC is doing with the refs/twitter? (If it causes you any problems to answer such a question, don't respond to this)
I can appreciate their desire to keep the public informed, but fans are nuts.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/bars...all-their-missed-calls-and-being-paid-by-bama

https://www.al.com/alabama/2019/07/welcome-to-hell-sec-officiating-joins-twitter.html

"The account gained nearly 8,000 followers in its first hour, and, in the parlance of our times, oh, the ratio. It’s like every insane caller in the history of The Paul Finebaum Show suddenly converged in one place on the Internet and threw a parade."

Purp

I gathered from discussion on previous question blind side block is now a penalty. But didn’t know if it was a dq or not.

Reminds me of a certain play from the cotton bowl when Sparty
Played Baylor
Thankfully ex post facto laws are unconstitutional. Unfortunately the U.S. Constitution doesn't apply to the NCAA yet. There may be a very legitimate concern that one of the greatest plays in NY6 bowl history will be nullified by this rule change. As such I'm not a fan.

Purp

It appears that interest in answering the questions has dropped, and that's ok.

Play Scenario #1

Play Scenario #2

Try at the B-3. Team A's kick is blocked behind the line of scrimmage, but the ball bounces to the B-1 where B66 recovers. B66 returns the ball for a 2-point score. During the return, B44 is flagged for holding. Also during the return, A33 blocks an opponent below the waist directly at the front in the 10-2 position. No score. The Try is over. (If both teams foul during the down and Team B had not fouled before the change of possession, the fouls "cancel" and the down is NOT repeated.
Can you clear up some confusion about what 10-2 is? I thought the new rule change allowed a block below the waist for both sides of the ball as long as it was delivered from the front. But 10-2 in the front is illegal? Why?

Zebra, is this a new rule?
Yes. Last year it was a penalty "only" if targeting was involved. It can still have targeting, however, just a blindside block is just a 15 yard penalty with no DQ. If the blocker extends his arms/hands, it might not be called for the personal foul. They want the blocker to screen if possible. This is legal. Minor contact is not a foul.

Can you clear up some confusion about what 10-2 is? I thought the new rule change allowed a block below the waist for both sides of the ball as long as it was delivered from the front. But 10-2 in the front is illegal? Why?
It normally is legal unless it's more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. The Scenario #2, there was a block below the waist on a change of possession, which is never legal, no matter where on the field it occurs. Tricky, huh?

@Zebra Frog , thought this is as good a thread as any to get your opinion on what the SEC is doing with the refs/twitter? (If it causes you any problems to answer such a question, don't respond to this)
I can appreciate their desire to keep the public informed, but fans are nuts.

https://www.barstoolsports.com/bars...all-their-missed-calls-and-being-paid-by-bama

https://www.al.com/alabama/2019/07/welcome-to-hell-sec-officiating-joins-twitter.html

"The account gained nearly 8,000 followers in its first hour, and, in the parlance of our times, oh, the ratio. It’s like every insane caller in the history of The Paul Finebaum Show suddenly converged in one place on the Internet and threw a parade."
Well, I think they are trying to be more transparent regarding the calls. I think that site will get a lot of traffic. :)

Mean Purple

It normally is legal unless it's more than 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage. The Scenario #2, there was a block below the waist on a change of possession, which is never legal, no matter where on the field it occurs. Tricky, huh?
All of this shows why refs may need to conference together on the field to get to a final ruling.

Eight

Question #5

at any point or time does B21 turn to the student section and deliver the dreaded horns down sign?

Purp

So 10-2 is the correct place to block when the situation permits it? Can you define 10-2 for us? Admittedly every time I see this I think of a damned steering wheel.

The definition in the Rule Book says, “Directed from the front” is defined as within the clock face region between “10 o’clock and 2 o’clock” forward of the area of concentration of the player being blocked. Clear as mud, right?

In a couple of years there won’t be any blocking below the waist except immediately after the snap on the line of scrimmage.

If the runner plays for the Longhorns and the play is important for a UT win then the call is either a first down if on their own end of the field or a touchdown if on their opponent’s side of the field, regardless of where or when the runner stepped out of bounds. And also a 15 yard personal foul penalty on the opposing team.
we have a winner