• The KillerFrogs

The Herald-Dispatch: Bowlsby: Big 12 is not interested in expansion

Eight

I don't think there's any reason for a team to leave the Big 12 even if that doesn't happen. The idea that you have to have a team in the CFP is a media driven myth. The Big 10 hasn't had a team in the CFP for two straight years now and nobody is saying they need to change a thing. Not sure why the Big 12 is any different.

The only reason for anyone to leave the conference is if they are chasing after a few extra $$$s, and the only teams that would ever leave anyway already bring in plenty.

i agree there is no tangible reason to leave the big 12 and the only reason why i mention the auto bid is that it removes the specter of possibly being left out.

truthfully, i very much believe the rumblings of certain segments of the texas and ou fan base goes to the idea they deserve "better" because they bring more to the table so to speak.

thing is the strongest conferences going are the ones who split the revenues from the start, but haven't tried to curtail the power programs and those power programs have been smart enough to realize money isn't an issue so the stronger the conference the stronger their brand.

perfect example is the sec brand which has gone through a period where the "it" school have fluxed some, but the brand of the conference has stayed strong because they focused on all the members trying to be strong.

i really do like some of the steps taken by teams that have struggled in the big 12

LeagueCityFrog

If OU moves there third tier content over to the new Big XII Now Network on ESPN+ before 2024, then we are good to go. I have a feeling that question has already been asked to OU and that's why ESPN offered to do this "Network."

HG73

UT isn't going anywhere, they still have the best TV deal in college football. And OU isn't going anywhere with the second best deal, and they have been in the CFP the last how many years.

HFrog1999

I’m not interested in expanding either

But I keep doing it

tenor.gif

asleep003

The revenue is pretty stable......so far.
In 2024, when our viewership numbers are reviewed, then that #3 payout status could change. Even though our viewership may not be limited to Texas, plus 4 modestly populated states, it is still the smallest of P5 viewerships, by far.

Bringing in 2 of the 3 academies before 2024 with their large nationwide viewership and recent proof that they can be competitive(which could increase as a P5 member) should bring real stability to the league.

Big Frog II

Texas is much happier now since their football team is winning. Having only 10 members I believe is not a negative. We certainly have less dead wood than a lot of conferences. I think in 2025, the Big 12 will remain the same.

Froggish

the health of the conference will always lay squarely in the hands of UT and OU. As long as pettiness and jealousy exists between the two schools the future will always be in question and seem unstable. The reality is both schools could use a few larger schools to keep them in check. UT needs A&M and OU needs Nebraska...Neither will ever be back. I think we are rolling towards UT taking TT with them and separating with OU/OSU ...The rest of us will hope there are options elsewhere. If we were smart at all we would be growing our relationship with OU not UT. OU will always want a piece of the metroplex and we can offer them that.

Big Frog II

People forget how close Del Conte and Donati are. I think that will benefit us IF something happens. I still don't think it will because I think the playoffs expand to 8 in 2025. No need to expand or leave.

Klaw

The only college network less successful than the 1 school Longhorn network is the Pac 12 network.

I disagree 100%. Texas and OU are used to having power and they will not have it in either of these conferences. Also, the PAC 12 is a train wreck and this movie bad for UT’s non-football sports due time zone issues and most UT alums would rather play local and historical Rivals.