• The KillerFrogs

OT- Pistol Thread

WIN

Ahh, now we're getting into MY area of interest. I like pistols of many calibers and costs, brands and styles. I'm what you would probably call a "shadetree gunsmith". I'm also a Glock certified Advanced Armorer. The first thing I do when I buy a new pistol is detail strip it down to all of its parts, determine what they do and how they interact with each other, then start hand fitting them back together, smoothing out rough spots, etc. You'd be surprised how well a Taurus can be made to feel mechanically, for example. Sometimes I just buy pistols in order to work with something new. Did this with a Taurus 85 that now feels like one of the good old S&Ws. I also build ghost guns of the 1911, Glock, and AR variety.

I own more Glocks than anything because I compete in GSSF matches. I have a match in KS this weekend, actually. Since it is a Glock sponsored event, you can only compete with their brand firearms. It's an easy jumping off point for anyone that is interested in getting into competitive shooting. Very low pressure and everyone is pretty friendly and welcoming to newcomers.

First frame-up build (Series 70).
View attachment 5854

Great stuff! Have you any experience with the Bond Arms Bullpup? Bought one a few months back but have not shot it yet. Very interesting design.

SwissArmyFrog

Nightstand Favorites:

- Glock 19
- CZ P-01
- CZ P-07
- S&W M&P 2
- Taurus G2C - don't rely on it for carry, (don't feel super confident trusting my life w a Taurus, but mine is fantastically
accurate, 12+1 rds in a small package)

Carry Favorites
- Glock 43
- Ruger LCP II

WhatTheFrog

Great stuff! Have you any experience with the Bond Arms Bullpup? Bought one a few months back but have not shot it yet. Very interesting design.
I do not have any experience with it, but it's definitely not your typical semi-auto action. Looks like a double extractor type of design and lack of feed ramps. Looks like one extractor strips the cartridge rearward more than 1.5x the overall length of the cartridge where it then hands off to the actual extractor and pushes the cartridge forward into the chamber. Most semi-autos strip the round forward and chamber using a feed ramp to guide it into place. Looks like a lot of extra parts, but it would need to for packing everything into a more compact space. Gives you the same barrel length in a shorter overall package. Should also help with recoil management.

WhatTheFrog

One of my completed 80% Glock compatible frames. That means the frame is 80% complete, you have to finish the machining work on it to make a functional firearm out of it. Because it's only 80% complete, there is no paperwork required for it. This is what the media likes to call a "ghost gun". Uses mostly Glock parts.
20180727_144306c.jpg

These are a couple of finished out 80% 1911 frames. Had to machine the slide rails, barrel seat, and drill hammer and sear pin holes.
20170314_160636c.jpg

Atomic Frawg

Stoeger Cougar .40 and Walther PK380 are my CCs
Recently sold my Beretta 9mm, Springfield XD .40, and several SW 9mms
Have two Glocks I'm trying to move (17, 27)

Last edited:

frog-hat

X ...........X X X X X ,,,,,,,,,,,,X
.......................................X
....................AD......SO
......................DA

Last edited:

Raw Frog

Kind of excited about my new Sig Sauer P320 X Compact 9....lots of good features right out of the box....
We should also add what holster we prefer too. I ike the stealthgearusa OWB, and the Vedder IWB, appendix carry....

TCU_91

My favorite is the Ruger Redhawk. 44, most don't like the hand cannon but I love the force and violence it unleashes.

PO Frog

Springfield is one I’ve wanted to buy, but always get derailed by others when I get to the gun shop.

Glock 43 is my EDC.
Mine is about 10 years old so I can't speak for their newer stuff - but I have been through thousands of rounds and never had a single FTF and the trigger safety makes the pull so perfect that I feel like some sort of marksman with it.

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
Springfield Armory XD .40 cal is my favorite of many. Never been a fan of glocks for some reason. Have a big beautiful Kimber 1911 but don’t love shooting it.
Israel Arms version of the .45 cal ACP... with Crimson Trace laser sight. Strictly for home defense.

Last edited:

toadallytexan

ToadallyTexan
G23, two G26, one G43. Why have so many? Because I can.

The G43 is a great concealed carry.

A character in a Ken Follett novel was justifying having a wife and a mistress by noting just because he had one French Impressionist painting didn't mean he didn't yearn for another beautiful object.