• The KillerFrogs

UT gives free tuition to in-state undergrads from homes of $65K or less

netty2424

how can you hate on this? Extremely cool move by UT and good way to use a fraction of their enormous endowment. Good on the horns (hate to say it)
As someone who paid his own way through TCU through financial aid, there’s no hate. It was an honest question.

I would love to know the real impact. How many students will benefit? Do you know?

EDIT berry noted it.

Frog-in-law1995

As someone who paid his own way through TCU through financial aid, there’s no hate. It was an honest question.

I would love to know the real impact. How many students will benefit? Do you know?

EDIT berry noted it.

plus another 6,000 will receive partial aid. Sliding scale up to $125k (probably agi...that’s what Aggie uses) per year.

Dogfrog

Does the reference to endowment here mean funding from contributions or just a set aside from their public funding?

FrogsMcGee

How can you "stack" athletic aid with a full scholarship?

What I mean is: Kid who qualifies for this program gets offered by Texas' baseball team, but they say "We don't have a scholarship for you". He's not allowed to play baseball? Or walk on?

I'm guessing the tuition/fees thing doesn't include things like room & board, food. Athletic scholarship could provide those, but not in combination with this new non-athletic tuition/fee benefit, as I understand it.

Purp

I'm guessing the tuition/fees thing doesn't include things like room & board, food. Athletic scholarship could provide those, but not in combination with this new non-athletic tuition/fee benefit, as I understand it.
I think Todd's point is (and I think he's right) it seems like this would still be a much more substantial benefit than a 1/4 or 1/3 baseball scholly, though, whether it covers food and living costs or not. If given the choice were I a top baseball player I'd probably take this every time and play as a walk-on. My loans to cover food and living arrangements would be much less than my loans to cover school and everything else.

The residual benefit to the baseball program, if this were permissible, is that larger fractions of full schollies might be available to other players and the rare full scholly may also be more practicable. This type of program would definitely make it much more possible to recruit with the strategy Michigan did.

MAcFroggy

Wonder if this will be a set amount of money no matter what, or if it will "bridge" to the full tuition amount. For instance, if tuition is 10K, and an individual receives a $5K pell grant would the student still get the full tuition scholorship ($10K) or would they just receive what gets them to full tuition payment (additional $5K)?

Either way, this is great for the state. I think Texas has done a great job with its public universities. The requirement that 90% enrollment must come from in-state might rub some elite academics the wrong way, but I think it is a great use of state money. If tax money is being used on the university, then we need to make sure that it is educating people from our state. I know a lot of people hate the top 10% (8%, 7%, 6%, or whatever it is now) rule, but it is a great way to ensure people throughout the state are can get a great education.

The top % rule and the full tuition scholarship together will be a great way for students from all over the state to receive a great education with far less student debt than the past (and many other states).

Purp

The real question is, how many elite baseball players come from families who make less than $65,000 a year combined. I’m guessing it’s not all that common?
Certainly a good question. As expensive as competitive baseball has become you're probably right. Another thing that would keep this from benefiting the baseball program is that the elite baseball player would not only have to come from an extremely low income family, but he'd also have to graduate in the top 5% - 6% of his class or whatever the requirement is these days. That's probably going to be an even rarer bird. Much more likely in rural communities, IMO, where $65K for a family can go much further, you still see multi-sport athlete more prevalent, and it's easier academically to graduate with a high rank in the class.