• The KillerFrogs

OT: Favorite Professor at TCU

frogs9497

Lovett - Cooky guy but a good teacher. I took more classes from him than anyone else at TCU.

Michael Butler - The answer to the extra credit is “Elvis”

Ingram - Astronomy teacher, not at all major related, just really enjoyed the class and clicked with his teaching style. Also seeing him get visibly frustrated that 90% of the class didn’t know what a Death Star was is still something I remember.

Who was the somewhat eccentric Accounting professor? She had big glasses, would say "Iiiii know it!" when making a point?

Dominiak or Hensley, probably.

Planks

Ingram - Astronomy teacher, not at all major related, just really enjoyed the class and clicked with his teaching style. Also seeing him get visibly frustrated that 90% of the class didn’t know what a Death Star was is still something I remember.

Ingram was great, he did an incredible job of explaining astronomy concepts to non science majors.

frogs9497

Yeah. He helped me understand the implications of me being a Sagittarius.

giphy.gif

froginmn

Tucker - History of the Vietnam War
Forgot his name - Bowling

Not making the list:

Every grad student teaching assistant that was trying to prove their worth and did so with an iron fist

Any professor with attendance requirements in order to pass the class (I’m looking at you Spanish 2 lady)

And pretty much any professor that just taught straight from the textbook

Edit: Frank Locker was professor emeritus of bowling. He changed a skinny kid out of the Midwest that couldn’t roll worth a crap into a powerhouse on the hardwoods that once, just for fun, rolled left handed for a 180. Because Frank Locker doesn’t care what hand you bowl with he just knows you have to shake hands with lane and shake and shake until you can do it in your sleep. And watch out for micro-trauma. It will shorten a career.
Can't remember who my bowling teacher was but as a kid I had gone to the lanes for moonlight bowling promos and had taught myself to throw with my thumb out, cupping the ball and throwing a wicked spin.

I asked if I could throw that way in class. Teacher said, "you can, but you won't score very well. " Ended up with about a 170 average...

Was a great class but I regretted not taking golf when I learned that the class played at Colonial on the last day.

Biggest regret of my life.

ftwfrog

The bad memories:

Critical Reasoning. I won’t mention the guys name because I believe he is deceased. Could’ve been an interesting course but the dude taught straight from the book.

Business school. Management. 20 years ago? I can’t remember the guys name? Eikhorn? Elkman? He didn’t teach straight from the book, he took roll every day and then READ poorly straight from the book. My roommate would make sure to say “here” and sneak out the back 75% of the time.

Mean Purple

Ron Shirey - Demanding, but did not belittle to get the best out of folks.
Richard Estes - Man flat out knew his stuff.
Cant remember the name - whoever the lady was who taught world religions in 94 ish time frame.
Can't remember his name - Taught german and gave us credit for class when we went to a local bar with him and ordered and spoke in german. He also held up the Daily Skiff and mentioned it may mean we are all a ship of fools. (Was good with puns.)

frogs9497

The bad memories:

Critical Reasoning. I won’t mention the guys name because I believe he is deceased. Could’ve been an interesting course but the dude taught straight from the book.

Business school. Management. 20 years ago? I can’t remember the guys name? Eikhorn? Elkman? He didn’t teach straight from the book, he took roll every day and then READ poorly straight from the book. My roommate would make sure to say “here” and sneak out the back 75% of the time.

Anyone else have the recurring dream where you skipped classes all semester, then FINALS came and [ hundin]-slapped you in the face?

(and I realize for some, this was reality)

82 Frog Fever

.....and whoever the guy was that taught B-Law. He was a chain smoker that never had an ash tray, so during lectures, when he was done with his cigarette, he would stand it up on its butt, on the desk, and the smoke would just spiral up towards the ceiling. At least a couple of still burning butts at all times.
Strange dude, one of a kind.

froginmn

I had a few.

Liked my Buyer Behavior professor but can't remember her name.

Liked Shannon Shipp, Roger Pfaffenberger, and Sanoa Hensley as well as Geraldine Dominiak (although I didn't really like Accounting).

frogs9497

.....and whoever the guy was that taught B-Law. He was a chain smoker that never had an ash tray, so during lectures, when he was done with his cigarette, he would stand it up on its butt, on the desk, and the smoke would just spiral up towards the ceiling. At least a couple of still burning butts at all times.
Strange dude, one of a kind.

Hard to imagine smoking being allowed in the classroom.

Hard to imagine it was ever allowed on airplanes.

WhatTheFrog

Anyone else have the recurring dream where you skipped classes all semester, then FINALS came and [ hundin]-slapped you in the face?

(and I realize for some, this was reality)
Had that dream within the last year, and I've been out for 18 years. Couldn't find my way around campus and couldn't remember what buildings/rooms my classes were in.