• The KillerFrogs

Who’s your Off and Def breakout player for this upcoming season?

Froggish

Off Season Contemplations

Who’s this years Off and Def players to emerge as TCUs next stars? Who arrives and puts the league on notice?

Last year we knew Reagor/Gaines would be stars but last year they both solidified that sentiment. Even in 6 games, Gaines was a force and was clearly going to be an all conference player had he not been hurt.

Def: Wallow

This year the easy Def choice for me is Wallow. He had moments where he got to ball carriers with as much explosiveness as any TCU LB I’ve ever seen. He had Some tackling issues but he’ll improve there. Especially if he stays at LB all year.

Def Runner Up: Moehrig, Mathis

Offensively ..I’m at a loss outside of Barber..Would love it to be a young QB or Stephens/Hunt..as that would mean we are salty on offense

Thoughts..

Eight

offense - has to be the quarterback positions. frogs basically stole wins in the baylor and cal games and i don't think this team is winning many games with a passing game that averages 5 yards an attempt and less than 10 yards a catch.

whomever is the quarterback doesn't have to put up boykin numbers, but instead pose a legit threat throwing the football, not making mistakes, and moving the chains.

200+ yards a game passing, td/int ration greater than 1.5:1, and a third down conversion rate over 40% and not under 30% would be a break out from the quarterback position to me.

defense - mathis and blackshear. they don't have to produce the numbers frogs got last year from collier and banogu, but for this defense to be the most effective frogs need to get consistent pressure with four and hold the edge against the run.

Last edited:

HG73

Just any old QB that doesn't fumble would be a huge improvement. Any of them. Hit wide open receivers, run if they aren't. Run a little option but give it to the running back almost every time. In other words, almost any QB can do this. That's all we need.

Eight

I guess I should be clearer...is he approved by the NCAA to be eligible?
Edit. Sorry if that is what you were answering.

haven't heard and if he is out of action until september that will make it tough to contribute this year if they do clear him.

not impossible, but tough if he can't go through august camp

Defense: Moehrig looked really good to me in limited action last season so I'll go with him. Best case scenario is he has a great season but we're talking about Mathis as the breakout player. Can't overvalue consistent pressure on the QB.

Offense: Too many uncertainties to say. If it's Justin Rogers or Max Duggan, then we'll be going places. If not, who knows.

Limp Lizard

As far as newcomers, I am intrigued by:
Damarqua Foster. Looked really good at breaking tackles and keeping his feet. Can't recall highlights on incoming backs like his.

Karter Johnson. Really impressive highlight reel. Was it the competition or his really that quick for a 300-pounder? Looks like he has some legitimate athleticism.