• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Moose Stuff

I get your point, but I thought Reggie Cannon looked really good again and wouldn't mind seeing more of him. I also wouldn't be opposed to Miazga getting more starts, but he has to start turning the corner soon.

And that Jozy goal was nice, but he seemed to be a ghost for large swaths of the game.

Cannon was fine. Thought he was dangerous creating some opportunities on the wing, he just didn’t do anything productive to finish them. I can’t stand Jozy.

Purp

Cannon was fine. Thought he was dangerous creating some opportunities on the wing, he just didn’t do anything productive to finish them. I can’t stand Jozy.
I thought he did a pretty nice job making penetrating runs and making incisive passes. A few missed, but more were dangerous and creative. Hard for me to blame Cannon when someone else didn't finish what he started. I was happy with what I saw from him last night and in reserve against T&T.

You mentioned the snooze fest and that's spot on. I repeatedly dozed off during the game. I'm tired from quarter-end inventory, but it's unusual for me to not be fully engrossed in a USMNT tournament game. I guess the fact that the U.S. could win the group even if nobody scored and the fact that each of the 11 guys on the pitch weren't the selected starters added to the feeling that it was meaningless, but the game was disjointed from the beginning and only had a few spells of attractive soccer throughout the game. All in all, I wasn't very impressed, but I also didn't expect to be when I saw the starting 11.

Moose Stuff

Gotta hand it to Megan Rapinoe.... I don’t really like her, I definitely don’t agree with her, and she certainly stirred up a [ Finebaum ] storm for her team (with a big assist from the POTUS) but she sure as hell showed up today. Hats off to you girl.

Farmfrog

I thought our B team played pretty well considering the lack of minutes played together. Cannon was good and so was Gonzales. The only guys who were really subpar were Lovitz and Roldan, who aren’t international guys IMO.

Farmfrog

The ladies were very solid today. Really feel for France because they’re really good. Still don’t understand why two of the worlds best teams had to meet in the quarterfinals. England is going to be a real challenge.

Moose Stuff

The ladies were very solid today. Really feel for France because they’re really good. Still don’t understand why two of the worlds best teams had to meet in the quarterfinals. England is going to be a real challenge.

Entirely possible the US has to beat the world’s 4, 3, and 2 in succession to win this thing. Plus Sweden was 9 and Spain was 13. Can’t say they won’t have fully earned it if they pull it off.

Purp

I thought our B team played pretty well considering the lack of minutes played together. Cannon was good and so was Gonzales. The only guys who were really subpar were Lovitz and Roldan, who aren’t international guys IMO.
I thought Mahailovic was the worst player on the field. He had a couple bright spots before subbing out, but he was consistently turning the ball over and stifling our build-up. And because he turned it over often was frequently out of position defensively.

Purp

Haven't watched the France game yet. started it around 9, but fell asleep about 10 minutes in. Between the 2 year old and 6 month old after getting back from youth camp last week my sleep pattern is all darned up.

Did see the first goal, though. Quality service from Rapinoe, but dreadful goal keeping. I guess you have to cover your near post and play for a deflection there, but I'd make sure to stay in the lane the ball started in just in case it didn't get touched. Great start, though with a few quality chances. Crazy the goal came on the least likely chance.

Moose Stuff

Haven't watched the France game yet. started it around 9, but fell asleep about 10 minutes in. Between the 2 year old and 6 month old after getting back from youth camp last week my sleep pattern is all darned up.

Did see the first goal, though. Quality service from Rapinoe, but dreadful goal keeping. I guess you have to cover your near post and play for a deflection there, but I'd make sure to stay in the lane the ball started in just in case it didn't get touched. Great start, though with a few quality chances. Crazy the goal came on the least likely chance.

Crystal Dunn was the best player on the field IMO.

Moose Stuff

About to restart it. I do remember her in some physical tussels with that bigger French woman on the wing. Her tenacity and, speed, and use of leverage to recover after getting beaten impressed me. Glad to hear it persisted.

She should have had an assist as well if not for a very questionable offside call in the second half.

Purp

She should have had an assist as well if not for a very questionable offside call in the second half.
Yeah. Very dubious offside. Because of your comments about her I paid extra attention. Maybe that caused me to be overly critical, but she seemed to get beaten a lot. To her credit, she recovered very well bc of her speed and quickness, but that wasn't a technically clean defensive performance. Reminded me a lot of what we've seen from Yedlin on the men's side.

I don't want to sound too critical bc she may have been the best American on the pitch. I just think the vulnerabilities everybody talked about with her coming into the tournament are still there. Hopefully she continues to improve from a positional and patience standpoint bc she has enormous potential with that athleticism.

Moose Stuff

Yeah. Very dubious offside. Because of your comments about her I paid extra attention. Maybe that caused me to be overly critical, but she seemed to get beaten a lot. To her credit, she recovered very well bc of her speed and quickness, but that wasn't a technically clean defensive performance. Reminded me a lot of what we've seen from Yedlin on the men's side.

I don't want to sound too critical bc she may have been the best American on the pitch. I just think the vulnerabilities everybody talked about with her coming into the tournament are still there. Hopefully she continues to improve from a positional and patience standpoint bc she has enormous potential with that athleticism.

The girl she was getting beaten by was also quite good (and very athletic). Perhaps not always pretty, but the end result won them the game IMO.