• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Pharm Frog

The fact that y’all seem to be debating what she is protesting personally or vicariously or in combination is sufficient proof that it is a ridiculous and ineffective protest.

Purp

I was leaving my opinion out of it. I really dont know a ton about rapinoe or the basis of her stance. I was simply saying that she probably feels that she is/was a victim and would argue that her stance is on behalf of other victims.
My point all along is that people playing the victim card when they aren't victims wears me out.

I consider myself pretty well informed on the issues at hand and the women making the claim they're victims bc they don't make as much as the men is just impossible to take seriously. Why don't WNBA players make as much as NBA players? Do any honest people believe it has anything to do with their gender/sexual preferences rather than the quality of the game play? The same issue exists here for the USWNT.

Making the argument wastes my time and distracts from my enjoyment of their games, which I'd have no reason to not enjoy if they'd leave the specious equality/politics garbage to themselves.

Chongo94

giphy.gif

Purp

My favorites on uswmnt are O'Hara, Heath, Lloyd, and Ertz.
Heath is fun to watch. Her motor never stops.

Lloyd still playing as well as she is at her age is impressive. she's ways been one of my favorites. Just a heady player who seldom makes bad decisions and shows up with quality strikes often. You have to defend her from 40 yards in.

I've always like Morgan too. Her finishing ability is rare. A real sniper, but with more ability than just her finishing touch. a complete player.

I'm a big Lavell fan too. Eager to see her continue to develop over the years if she can stay healthy.

Tom Brown

Lloyd still playing as well as she is at her age is impressive. she's ways been one of my favorites. Just a heady player who seldom makes bad decisions and shows up with quality strikes often. You have to defend her from 40 yards in.

I've always like Morgan too. Her finishing ability is rare. A real sniper, but with more ability than just her finishing touch. a complete player.

I'm a big Lavell fan too. Eager to see her continue to develop over the years if she can stay healthy.

I'll offer disagreement there, morgan is not a complete player to me. She squander a lot of good service. She is opportunistic and left footed, but her skill doesn't impress me. Ohara is 100% hustle all game. Ertz prolly 99%

Tom Brown

Lavelle is good but regressed today after Sweden.

She runs like a gazelle.

Purp

I'll offer disagreement there, morgan is not a complete player to me. She squander a lot of good service. She is opportunistic and left footed, but her skill doesn't impress me. Ohara is 100% hustle all game. Ertz prolly 99%
Morgan doesn't get nearly enough credit for what she does defensively bc she scores more goals than anybody else. And there's something to be said for having so many chances to squander and still score as much as she does. Wouldn't you kill for Jozy to have half as many chances at goal? Morgan gets those chances bc she has a skill for getting to the right places.

Purp

Just finished the USWNT game. Really ugly. Give Spain credit for the game plan. They were determined to play physical and I don't think the nats were ready to get punched in the mouth physically. They played timid and soft.

Not sure if they were looking forward to France, but I don't think they had much reason to not be do crisp. Spain gave us space to create, we just missed that final pass all day.

Purp

But both were on PKs and both were controversial IMO. Technically fouls, yes; but I have a hard time awarding either one to a player running laterally 15 yards from goal without the ability to be dangerous even if clear possession of the ball is maintained. The one Heath (I think) drew was a more justifiable decision than the one Lavell drew, but the one Lavell drew was reviewed by VAR and upheld so it's hard to dispute either one with much force. If I were the center ref in my over 30 league, though, I don't think I would have awarded either penalty.

All that said, I didn't feel like the result was unjust. There was at least one other call missed in the box to make up for any that may have been wrong.

Portland Frog

So if Man City is “dumped” from UCL next season because of rules violations, which team takes their place? What are the rules for this? I assume an EPL team takes their spot?

Chongo94

So if Man City is “dumped” from UCL next season because of rules violations, which team takes their place? What are the rules for this? I assume an EPL team takes their spot?

Believe the 5th place team would take the spot (assuming Man City finishes top 5) and it also opens up another spot in the Europa League. That’s how I understand it. Could be wrong though.

Portland Frog

Believe the 5th place team would take the spot (assuming Man City finishes top 5) and it also opens up another spot in the Europa League. That’s how I understand it. Could be wrong though.

One question. I assume the UCL ban would be for the 19/20 season (given we know MC already did qualify for 19/20 based on this year’s results). So the 5th place team from the 18/19 season would get their spot for the 19/20 season, correct?