• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Can’t wait until the USMNT decides to give Pomykal a chance. Would also bring the end of the Michael Bradley bashing most likely as well.

Yeah, I’ve never quite fully understood the bashing. I’m not a huge fan of his attitude but he’s provided general quality for us for years.

Eight

bradley for me is a guy who just doesn't cover the ground he once did and isn't a great creative presence in the center midfield

at his prime he was solid and i think the biggest thing wrong with him is not anything the has done, but the inability of the us to find a legit successor to him.

he has been stuck trying to fill the hole in the donut that has been the us midfield for quite some time.

Eight

Bradley is one of the five best midfielders we’ve ever produced. His problem is he’s just not as good as he once was.

if you are talking about center mid's then i would rank reyna first, ramos second, and then bradley.

he might not have had the offensive play making ability of reyna or ramos, but there was a simplicity and efficiency to his offensive game and in his prime he was very good box to box on both ends. think his greatest attributes were his ability to cover that ground over the course of the game and his willingness to do the dirty work on both ends.

as he has gotten older he has lost the ability to cover as he once did which is natural and the lack of someone to follow him is far more a short coming of the national team and player development.

Farmfrog

That is why I say Pomykal would be great as a box to box mid. He’s good on the offensive end and a very willing defender. He looks so effortless in his play.

Moose Stuff

Bradley is one of the five best midfielders we’ve ever produced. His problem is he’s just not as good as he once was.

Bradley/Jozy/Zardes annoy the hell out of me. They’re the best we have at the moment at those spots though so I guess my main annoyance is the fact that we can’t produce anyone better. Was really hoping Sargent would feature with this group.

Eight

Bradley/Jozy/Zardes annoy the hell out of me. They’re the best we have at the moment at those spots though so I guess my main annoyance is the fact that we can’t produce anyone better. Was really hoping Sargent would feature with this group.

i agree with your sentiment especially with jozy and zardes.

how is it possible that the us has poured as much money and resources into the youth programs in this country, identifying and developing talent, and these are the two best the country has to offer at this time.

still don't understand why sargent isn't playing somewhere and i really don't want to see a 32-year altidore upfront for the us if they do qualify for the 2022 world cup and there is no way zardes is a better long term option than sargent or weah.

Chongo94

i agree with your sentiment especially with jozy and zardes.

how is it possible that the us has poured as much money and resources into the youth programs in this country, identifying and developing talent, and these are the two best the country has to offer at this time.

still don't understand why sargent isn't playing somewhere and i really don't want to see a 32-year altidore upfront for the us if they do qualify for the 2022 world cup and there is no way zardes is a better long term option than sargent or weah.

I think, at the youth level, we are our own worst enemies and it (probably not much but to a little extent) flows onward as our levels age.

Personally, I feel we over structure and over coach our youth levels and too much of the usual American attitude from other sports affects our soccer coaching approach. IE the biggest and strongest kid is seen as the best and we prioritize strength and size over skill at times.

Just my two cents and what do I know you know?

Eight

I think, at the youth level, we are our own worst enemies and it (probably not much but to a little extent) flows onward as our levels age.

Personally, I feel we over structure and over coach our youth levels and too much of the usual American attitude from other sports affects our soccer coaching approach. IE the biggest and strongest kid is seen as the best and we prioritize strength and size over skill at times.

i agree that is one of the two big problems with the development program in his country.

the other is how talent is found and the best example is taking a look at the mls rosters and noting which teams do a good job of identifying and developing home grown talent. dallas i believe has the most home grown talent on its roster compared to houston who only has 3 home grown players.

i read an interesting interview with either the coach or director of skc and they attitude towards identifying talent. compare that to the two clubs in la who are sitting among how much talent and have a negligible home grown presence on their roster.

Moose Stuff

What was Tyler Boyd’s background? Did he grow up in the US? He plays differently than pretty much everyone we have not named Pulisic.

Chongo94

What was Tyler Boyd’s background? Did he grow up in the US? He plays differently than pretty much everyone we have not named Pulisic.

He was a New Zealander up until this recent switch so I’m not sure. I only know he has been in the Portuguese league for a bit, which is a good place to develop skills according to some, and is now in Turkey.

You and others have actually seen more of him than I have, Moose, since I keep missing the games sadly. No idea as to if he developed more within New Zealand youth levels or due to the Portuguese play time.

Edit: I’m assuming perhaps more the Portuguese and Turkish playtime as that obviously helps, I just have zero idea how New Zealand identities and develops its talent.

Last edited:

Eight

lived in the us until age 10, went back to new zealand, played for the all-whites in a few friendlies but no majors which opened the door to his switch to the us' squad, played for two new zealand pro teams before one in australia, and then was purchased by the portuguese club who still owns his rights.

so basically he has been playing and training at the professional and senior team level for close to 10 years.