• The KillerFrogs

2019 NCAA Baseball Tournament Thread

hometown frog

That was demonstration number 1 on why the DH should be banned. Let him bump gums like that when he knows he’s gotta step into the box at some point.

It was painful trying to figure out which team I wanted to root against more tonight.

Purp

Michigan is a great story. I missed a couple games last week while out of town, but am I correct in remembering Michigan hasn't used their bullpen yet in Omaha? I'm kinda hoping they keep their starter in here for 2 reasons.

1) That's a cool stat that would be fun to watch continue.
2) Their starter has been outstanding. He's earned a shot at a CG if he throws a clean 8th.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Michigan is a great story. I missed a couple games last week while out of town, but am I correct in remembering Michigan hasn't used their bullpen yet in Omaha? I'm kinda hoping they keep their starter in here for 2 reasons.

1) That's a cool stat that would be fun to watch continue.
2) Their starter has been outstanding. He's earned a shot at a CG if he throws a clean 8th.

They used their closer in both games against tech.

Pharm Frog

I was listening to ESPNU radio way too early this morning on a drive into Dallas and heard something interesting. They were talking about the CWS finals and focusing appropriately on Michigan. The analyst (Mooney I think) made a point that I had not considered. He was asked what was the most important factor in getting Michigan into baseball relevance and the CWS finals. He said that head coaching hire (Bakich) was the most important factor for several reasons but the most important among those was that he immediately started lobbying the school to do more with their need-based aid program to get players like he had learned to do at Vanderbilt as recruiting coordinator with their endowment. This is the first time I had heard anything about UM being among those schools that are using need-based aid to target recruitment. I knew about UVA and Stanford and Vandy of course but not UM.

Here's a Bakich quote I found in the Detroit Press...

“Scour the country for the very best players who also happen to be good students and uncover every lead, turn over every stone to find the very best fit for your program,” he said. “We’re fortunate we have some need-based financial aid at Michigan. Not quite like what a private school has with an endowment, but it’s helpful. We have leveraged that as best we could to target as many players that come from needy families as we can.

“It’s not just the inner cities. It’s out in the middle of the country. It’s all races. It’s not just African-American kids. It’s Latin-American kids. It’s anyone. Doesn’t matter. We don’t care what color. We just want the very best players possible and a lot of times will qualify for more need-based aid than we could ever provide in a partial scholarship"

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Bold move by Michigan, back to back intentional walks to load the bases with 2 outs and a runner on 3rd base. Ground ball to short to get out of the inning.

Vandy up 1-0 going to the bottom of the 5th.

Michigan's lead off hitter is out for the game with a hamstring injury.

Vandy scores on a wild pitch, up 2-0 top of the 6th. That might be all they need, Rocker has only allowed one hit thru 5.

Vandy just scored on another wild pitch, now up 3-0 with 1 out in the 6th. Michigan starting to fall apart.

Rocker out after 6 1/3. Vandy's closer promptly gives up an RBI single and Michigan is on the board, 4-1 in the bottom of the 7th.

Vandy holds on for the 4-1 win. Winner takes all tomorrow night. C'mon Michigan.

Last edited:

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
“It’s not just the inner cities. It’s out in the middle of the country. It’s all races. It’s not just African-American kids. It’s Latin-American kids. It’s anyone. Doesn’t matter. We don’t care what color. We just want the very best players possible and a lot of times will qualify for more need-based aid than we could ever provide in a partial scholarship"

O.K. That brings things into focus. I happened to tune into the foul ESPNU on Sunday afternoon briefly, and true to form, they had some imbecile blathering on about the Mich coach's "commitment to diversity." All the voices purred and cooed at this, then went to point out that the Vandy coach was "committed to diversity, too! Why LGTBQ, and..." I found something else to listen to before I punched the radio.

Mrs. Brewingfrog, who was riding in the car with me, was mystified. "What the hell does that have to do with running a baseball program? Wouldn't he be concerned with finding the best players, as opposed to checking off a box?" I thought, "We found you a transgender shortstop! Couldn't hit Planet Earth if you heaved him/her out of an airplane, but you'd have the only tranny in the infield! Think of the progress that would represent!"

In the few moments of last night's game I had the sound on, the "diversity" nonsense started up again. Why? Why keep beating that annoying drum? Now, it makes sense. These guys are bending the rules and using "diversity" as the excuse to do so. Nobody will question "diversity."

flyfishingfrog

O.K. That brings things into focus. I happened to tune into the foul ESPNU on Sunday afternoon briefly, and true to form, they had some imbecile blathering on about the Mich coach's "commitment to diversity." All the voices purred and cooed at this, then went to point out that the Vandy coach was "committed to diversity, too! Why LGTBQ, and..." I found something else to listen to before I punched the radio.

Mrs. Brewingfrog, who was riding in the car with me, was mystified. "What the hell does that have to do with running a baseball program? Wouldn't he be concerned with finding the best players, as opposed to checking off a box?" I thought, "We found you a transgender shortstop! Couldn't hit Planet Earth if you heaved him/her out of an airplane, but you'd have the only tranny in the infield! Think of the progress that would represent!"

In the few moments of last night's game I had the sound on, the "diversity" nonsense started up again. Why? Why keep beating that annoying drum? Now, it makes sense. These guys are bending the rules and using "diversity" as the excuse to do so. Nobody will question "diversity."
Not sure how much rule bending they are doing

The reality is they are doing something that has been suggested to our staff before to get past the “TCU is too expensive “ excuse

Go recruit players from areas that will increase the chances the kid will qualify for financial aid beyond athletic and academic scholarships

The worst thing for TCU is middle class baseball players - they can’t write a check for tuition without thinking about it and they don’t quality for need based aid

But those kids - the ones that will qualify for economic based financial aid - probably aren’t playing travel or select as often so you have to look