• The KillerFrogs

Random: When and How did Sports Hate enter your heart?

Pharm Frog

Seventh grade when we were warming up before a basketball game and the other team had a kid that could dunk. In.seventh.grade.

This is funny. Similar incident. My junior high basketball team was 1-0 after beating Conroe's Washington JH B team in the first round of a tournament. We were warming up to play Cleveland JH when they came out chanting something like "Who be talkin' bout beatin' dem Injuns, who day? who day?" and the first four kids dunked in their layup line. Coach saqw us gawking and pulled us back to the locker room and we didn't come out again until moments before tip off. Got beat 77-7.

G

Ghost of Tobys Business College

I dislike most a whole heck of a lot of teams, but most of those are just because they beat my team at some point or another. And then there are the teams that used to be teams I rooted for that slowly turned me off (notably the Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers, Dallas Stars, and the University of Louisville).
My raging hate is saved for two entities and two only: Texas A&M and Baylor.

I hate Baylor largely because my mom hated Baylor and then grew up listening to Baylor propaganda spouted by my grandmother who was a die-hard Baylor alum (my dad and grandfather were also alum, but not that into sports so they really didn't care. My uncle is also an alum and he barely ever mentions Baylor athletics, well, except for a few years around 2014 when he talked smack).
Mom swears up and down that when Coach Pittman died on the sidelines during the '71 game in Waco, that the Baylor band started playing their fight song after his death was announced to the stadium. She wasn't even a TCU fan at the time but that was enough to make her hate Baylor.

The Aggies were another team mom hated but I had my own run-ins with the agholes. First was when I was 10. Aggies at TCU, the craptacular 1985 edition at AGC. I hadn't yet realized just how awful humans could be and so my night was ruined, not so much because of the score (although that didn't help) but because of the two agholes sitting directly behind us that had smuggled in booze, got drunk, and then shouted obscenities about Coach Wacker. For a 10 year old that had met Coach Wacker and gotten his autograph, this was painful.

Second time was when I was parking cars for University Christian Church to help raise money for some of the youth groups. Traffic was atrocious (I believe it was the 1991 game) and so I was trying to direct traffic. Standing in the street and having cars take their turns to get to the parking lot, one aghole in his Suburban just didn't want to wait his turn and kept driving (slowly) until his bumper hit my leg. Literally ran into me. If I hadn't been a scrawny teenager, I might have pulled him out of the car. Still kinda wish I had.

Frog-in-law1995

This is funny. Similar incident. My junior high basketball team was 1-0 after beating Conroe's Washington JH B team in the first round of a tournament. We were warming up to play Cleveland JH when they came out chanting something like "Who be talkin' bout beatin' dem Injuns, who day? who day?" and the first four kids dunked in their layup line. Coach saqw us gawking and pulled us back to the locker room and we didn't come out again until moments before tip off. Got beat 77-7.

Similar story for my 8th grade team playing Morningside (feeder to FW Dunbar). We were down 30-1 at the half, and the 1 was from a phantom technical foul called on them with about 5 seconds left in the half so we wouldn’t go to the locker room with a bagel on the board. And of course I missed the first free throw. Still friends with a couple of guys on that team and catch [ Finebaum ] occasionally on facebook.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
New York Yankees from birth.
The Dallas Cowboys when we moved to Texas, 1967.
Texas A&M, University of Texas, University of Arkansas, when I came to TCU in 1976.
Manchester United, Real Madrid, and Brazil, when I became interested in soccer.

chee

1951, home game against the Aggies. They were nationally ranked That was my and we had lost to Tech. Frogs scored three times in the fourth quarter to win. I’m 17, at the game with a bunch of ww2 veterans. After the game, some fights were going on, in the stands. Someone asked “wondered what was that about?” One of my buddies offered, “someone may have got called an Aggie.” This guy walked up and said “it’s an honor to be called an Aggie, and my buddy said “I rather be called a a son of a be-ach”. The Aggies wife handed him their baby and dragged him away. That was my introduction.

Ron Swanson

My dad raised me to hate...

The Dallas Cowboys
UT
A&M
Yankees
Lakers
Bulls
Steelers
All the Florida schools

The only team on that list that I have come to respect over the years is the Steelers.

I started hating Baylor on my own in the 90’s, before TCU was even a twinkle in my eye. I just hate that dorky holier-than-thou backwards cesspool. They remain #1 on my hate list.

I’ve never had an issue with teams that beat my team, just because they beat my team. I’m not gonna hold it against a team for winning their game. If they’re [ Craig James]s about it while they beat my team (the players or the fans) then that’s a different story.

Frog-in-law1995

My dad raised me to hate...

The Dallas Cowboys
UT
A&M
Yankees
Lakers
Bulls
Steelers
All the Florida schools

The only team on that list that I have come to respect over the years is the Steelers.

I started hating Baylor on my own in the 90’s, before TCU was even a twinkle in my eye. I just hate that dorky holier-than-thou backwards cesspool. They remain #1 on my hate list.

I’ve never had an issue with teams that beat my team, just because they beat my team. I’m not gonna hold it against a team for winning their game. If they’re [ Craig James]s about it while they beat my team (the players or the fans) then that’s a different story.

Good list, with one exception.

Boomhauer

When my daughter was going through orientation in '98, there were things for the parents. The head of on-campus living was there and quickly announced she was a proud aggy. Later when it was mentioned that Riff Ram was the oldest cheer in the SWC, she interrupted and said that could not be true that it was probably an aggy yell: "Rooool ARMY", performing all the hand gestures with great enthusiasm.. Remember at this time she was an employee of TCU, paid by TCU, talking to parents who were forking over a lot of money for their kid to come to TCU

That lady should’ve been fired. What an embarrassment. I too did orientation in 1998 but I’ve forgotten it all so maybe I didn’t get that idiot.