• The KillerFrogs

KHOU: Aaron Brown charged with hitting his daughter

Purp

It's hard to say one way or the other without more details, but if what's in the story is all there is I have a hard time with this.

I get that we need to protect abused kids from abusive parents, but I'm not comfortable with where we're starting to draw those lines. At what point will we totally abdicate all parenting to the state? When a woman tells you you're wrong for spanking your unruly child in the grocery store aisle I feel we're much closer to that end than the other.

This reminds me of the Adrian Peterson deal. I'd never leave the kind of marks on my kid that he did to his, but a parent has to be able to discipline his kid the best way he knows how within reason. I'd admit AP got close to that line, but I know enough people who endured the same thing growing up who are great people now so I'm less certain he crossed it than most others.

Dogfrog

Yup. I remember a shop class project was to make paddles for the coaches and the principal.

With holes drilled strategically to improve aerodynamics / swing speed. I once saw guys pulled out of the showers for throwing soap at each other and paddled naked in front of the team. You could see the welts swell up immediately. Not much horseplay after that.

Yup. I remember a shop class project was to make paddles for the coaches and the principal.

Heck, I remember a shop teacher(also a coach) putting a kid in a dog house someone had made, putting a scrap piece of plywood over the door and nailing him in until class was over as punishment one time. People are freakin' soft these days. So freakin' soft.

Frog DJ

I came home with a "C" in citizenship (conduct) on my report card one six weeks.

My mother said, "You may not be the smartest kid in your class, but you will be the best behaved."

For the next six weeks (until I got another report card) my mother spanked me with a wooden hair brush every morning before school.

Today, that would be cause to call CPS. Oh, and just for the record - I got an "A" in citizenship the next six weeks (and I never spanked my kids - ever).

My father once said to me, "Boy, that woman is the only thing that stands between you and life in prison. Don't resent her - she's just keeping you on the straight and narrow."

I was taller than both my parents by the time I was 11, but my father never laid a hand on me. He didn't have to - I knew perfectly well that he was completely capable of whipping my butt.

Only children always get the blame for anything that goes wrong, but there was never any doubt in my mind my parents supported me unconditionally. There was just no margin for error.

Go Frogs!

Last edited:

AroundWorldFrog

I came home with a "C" in citizenship (conduct) on my report card one six weeks.

My mother said, "You made not be the smartest kid in your class, but you will be the best behaved."

For the next six weeks (until I got another report card) my mother spanked me with a wooden hair brush every morning before school.

Today, that would be cause to call CPS. Oh, and just for the record - I got an "A" in citizenship the next six weeks (and I never spanked my kids - ever).

Go Frogs!
You never forgot that lesson tho!

tcudoc

Well, it was the second or third time I had done it. So..

Edit. and he was drunk so it was okay. I may not have had the stereotypical TCU upbringing.
I feel like this is that scene from Breakfast Club where Bender describes his typical day.
My childhood was somewhere in the middle. Occasional beatings and shaming from dad. Frequently deserved. Occasional coddling from mom. Rarely deserved. Huge amount of dysfunction in the day to day life due to a bad marriage that was aired out in full view of the kids. My brief adult relationship with my parents was pretty loving and good while it lasted. Unfortunately, my mom died just before I finished TCU. My dad died a couple of years after I finished residency. So I was super busy as an adult while they were alive and I regret that I didn’t spend more time with them. You know, Cats in the Cradle and all that kind of stuff.
My parents gave me lots of great support and opportunities and I have great memories of childhood sprinkled with a bit of baggage that I still carry.
I think spanking is fine if that is the method chosen, but it should be done in a calmer setting if it is used. Spanking in anger leads to abuse. Part of the problem is the logic side of it. You tell your kids not to hit their sibling. Then, when they do, their punishment is that you hit them. It is a blurry line and I think many people cross the line a bit.