• The KillerFrogs

TCU Football Releases 2019 Football Depth Chart

Froggish

If he doesn’t, Baldwin will snatch the starting job before the season starts.

Perhaps...I bet it’s an all out open competition until the week 5 road game at ISU. Something tells me that If Baldwin gets cleared for immediate eligibility, either JR or MC won’t make it to campus this fall. My bet is on MC

asleep003

Perhaps...I bet it’s an all out open competition until the week 5 road game at ISU. Something tells me that If Baldwin gets cleared for immediate eligibility, either JR or MC won’t make it to campus this fall. My bet is on MC
Disagree Froggish … personally feel if MC is healthy, he is in the drivers seat. If he's earned his degree already, then that could open up more options to MC.

With JR's eligibility left(as 2018 possibly considered injury year vs RS year), he may have more motivation to move on, as the competition seems to keep piling up here. And for MC to leave, it would have to probably be a high academic move, plus only 1 year to play 2. Hope they both do stay with us and see what JR can provide to this program in a backup role or possibly as a starter...

Last edited:

Eight

Not sure there’s a corner in college football that really wants to press JR.

so you mean actually have him run real pass routes that allow him to exploit his quickness out of breaks?

a different concept than leaguefrog's idea of using the baylor passing tree

Wexahu

There are plenty of guys on here who would prefer to never see it again, ever.

I personally don’t have a problem with wildfrog. I think it needs to be more dynamic though and less predictable.

The problem with us running the wildfrog is that, even when it "works" (which I will concede it does work more often than not, but it should when you only need to gain 1 yard), it just looks so damn hard too often. It's never a case where you're saying, "we're gonna do this and how are they gonna stop it?", it's more like "we're gonna do this, and there's gonna be a big scrum at the line of scrimmage, and hopefully Sewo can find a little tiny crease so he can barely get the first down". We aren't very good at it, that's the biggest issue. It's almost as if we're contractually bound to run it sometimes, and run it to the same side no less. If you have a QB that is a threat running the ball it makes it doubly stupid to force the wildfrog into the game plan IMO.

netty2424

The problem with us running the wildfrog is that, even when it "works" (which I will concede it does work more often than not, but it should when you only need to gain 1 yard), it just looks so damn hard too often. It's never a case where you're saying, "we're gonna do this and how are they gonna stop it?", it's more like "we're gonna do this, and there's gonna be a big scrum at the line of scrimmage, and hopefully Sewo can find a little tiny crease so he can barely get the first down". We aren't very good at it, that's the biggest issue. It's almost as if we're contractually bound to run it sometimes, and run it to the same side no less. If you have a QB that is a threat running the ball it makes it doubly stupid to force the wildfrog into the game plan IMO.
It’s pretty messy for sure. I think part of it is sometimes we just don’t execute it well, but also we’re(fans) so used to this offense being spread out, when the offense gets into that formation and the box is packed with essentially every player on the field, it slows down and bodies fly. It’s just tough one on one punch you in the mouth battles that everyone on offense has to win, or you have potential for the play to get blown up.

Froggish

Disagree Froggish … personally feel if MC is healthy, he is in the drivers seat. If he's earned his degree already, then that could open up more options to MC.

With JR's eligibility left(as 2018 possibly considered injury year vs RS year), he may have more motivation to move on, as the competition seems to keep piling up here. And for MC to leave, it would have to probably be a high academic move, plus only 1 year to play 2. Hope they both do stay with us and see what JR can provide to this program in a backup role or possibly as a starter...

I get your point but the fact remains that both MC and JR are in the positions of most vulnerability on the depth chart. Until JR can actually perform the “R” part of RPO we can’t count on him and MC only has 10-12 Quarters of mediocre football film to go on. IMO, while a second transfer doesn’t make since for MC, his performance last year hardly puts MC in any drivers of anything. If the staff had confidence in either JR or MC I can promise you Baldwin and Delton wouldn’t be here..

Wexahu

It’s pretty messy for sure. I think part of it is sometimes we just don’t execute it well, but also we’re(fans) so used to this offense being spread out, when the offense gets into that formation and the box is packed with essentially every player on the field, it slows down and bodies fly. It’s just tough one on one punch you in the mouth battles that everyone on offense has to win, or you have potential for the play to get blown up.

And we aren't built for that. No offense with primarily Air Raid principles has been, which is the crux of the issue. It'd be like the Golden State Warriors insisting on pounding it inside to the post when they really, really need a 2-point bucket. Or Army going to the spread on 3rd and 5. I know we have to have a power running game at times and I hope we don't run shotgun out of the spread on 3rd and 4th and 1, but there's no need to go to such extremes where literally your only options are 1) run the ball to one side of the line or 2) a trick play.

Put it this way, if we were ever to play a team like Alabama or Clemson and in a critical situation we ran the Sewo wildfrog thing to the strong side of the alignment, what do think our chances would be of making it? Versus just running a normal play out of normal formation with the QB taking the snap.

HG73

This year all our QB needs to do is protect the ball, run a little option, hit wide open receivers and move around a little when they are not wide open. And protect the ball. Unlike last year. Did I mention protect the ball?

McFroggin

This year all our QB needs to do is protect the ball, run a little option, hit wide open receivers and move around a little when they are not wide open. And protect the ball. Unlike last year. Did I mention protect the ball?

If you want a mediocre year, that IS how you get there.

Froggish

Every successful Off scheme in today’s game is essentially trying to accomplish 2 things..

1. Disguise intention (run/pass,how/where..)
2. Create 1 on 1s..(aka space for the ball holder)

That’s football...Does it still require you to be physical? Sure..Does it still require your players to win their one on one matchups? Absolutely...

Knowing that the sport of football today really operates with those two caveman basic principles in mind, and that modern rules actually favor the offense accomplishing these principles. You can watch TCU football since Cumbie has been OC and see his schemes are really weak.

To over simplify..We rarely disguise our intentions well and we just don’t get guys in space often. Every pass downfield is a contested ball to a guy fight his arse off to get any space or run after catch.

For those who say it’s the players fault for not winning 1 on 1s, I ask why has been a problem for 3 years now? Our across the board talent is off the charts better then its ever been and we presumably have coaches that are smart and motivate well. The only real answer is that our scheme sucks.

We don’t disguise well...We don’t create 1 on 1s well...

Go watch a go a good offense and you’ll see space to work in..Riley does this better then almost anyone in college..Space everywhere. Defenses don’t know what coming and can’t adjust in time..

4th. down

I get your point but the fact remains that both MC and JR are in the positions of most vulnerability on the depth chart. Until JR can actually perform the “R” part of RPO we can’t count on him and MC only has 10-12 Quarters of mediocre football film to go on. IMO, while a second transfer doesn’t make since for MC, his performance last year hardly puts MC in any drivers of anything. If the staff had confidence in either JR or MC I can promise you Baldwin and Delton wouldn’t be here..

THIS cannot be overlooked. To me it's obvious. We bring in 2 QB's in the offseason for a reason. I fear the primary reason is the coaches don't think Justin ever returns to 100%, Duggan is a true freshman, and that only leaves Collins and Delton. If Justin ever returned to 100%, don't believe we have anyone who could beat him this year.

Last edited:

Latest posts