• The KillerFrogs

TCU Football Releases 2019 Football Depth Chart

LeagueCityFrog

My bet is that Alex Delton gets the starting nod to start the season and TCU football is more run oriented on offense and the passing game will be streamlined to an Art Briles' type of simplicity with high rates of completion and execution efficiency. You watch.

Phil Steele has TCU playing for the Big XII crown this year, I think (Monday is when his magazine comes out), and he's rarely wrong on TCU. Defense will lead the way and could be Gary's best defense ever.

If the chips go our way, I see this Frog team 11-1 and playing OU at Jerry's World again for the Big XII championship. New unis and added Eastside noise being the X-Factors to get us there. ;)

Go Frogs

My bet is that Alex Delton gets the starting nod to start the season and TCU football is more run oriented on offense and the passing game will be streamlined to an Art Briles' type of simplicity with high rates of completion and execution efficiency. You watch.

Phil Steele has TCU playing for the Big XII crown this year, I think (Monday is when his magazine comes out), and he's rarely wrong on TCU. Defense will lead the way and could be Gary's best defense ever.

If the chips go our way, I see this Frog team 11-1 and playing OU at Jerry's World again for the Big XII championship. New unis and added Eastside noise being the X-Factors to get us there. ;)

Go Frogs
From your lips to God's ears.

Froggish

Go Frogs
You are essentially describing the same offense we ran with KHill in 2017....If Delton is the starter we will have to be run oriented. If I know anything, it’s that QBs are just like kickers, they all look like All Americans without a pass rush and the need to make quick check downs..I like Deltons wheels, experience and leadership abilities. I think those instantly make us better but I’m not for a minute believing he’s a thrower. To win 10-11 you are going to have some reasonable success being balanced and efficient

LeagueCityFrog

You are essentially describing the same offense we ran with KHill in 2017....If Delton is the starter we will have to be run oriented. If I know anything, it’s that QBs are just like kickers, they all look like All Americans without a pass rush and the need to make quick check downs..I like Deltons wheels, experience and leadership abilities. I think those instantly make us better but I’m not for a minute believing he’s a thrower. To win 10-11 you are going to have some reasonable success being balanced and efficient

Just get the ball in Reagor and Darius Davis' hands and let them do their thing.

No more than three step drop passes to start games until our QB is in a rhythm. Then bomb the sh t out of them.

Eight

Just get the ball in Reagor and Darius Davis' hands and let them do their thing.

No more than three step drop passes to start games until our QB is in a rhythm. Then bomb the sh t out of them.

you don't think by say game 3 those opposing corners won't be pressing the [ Finebaum ] out of the receivers?

Zubaz

Kenny Hill was / is 10x the passer that Delton has shown to be up until this point. Hill passed for 3,100 yards in 2017. Sure he had some sub-200 yard games in victories (Texas, Arkansas, WVU), but he would also have just about every TCU passing record if the guy before him didn't exist, and had multiple 300-400 yard games during is time at TCU. Delton's BEST passing game last year was against us when he passed for *checks notes*....155 yards. He's never gone over 170 yards n his career.

He could surprise us, hopefully he does if he's named the starter, but...yeah the Hill comparison seems off to me.

Mean Purple

Kenny Hill was / is 10x the passer that Delton has shown to be up until this point. Hill passed for 3,100 yards in 2017. Sure he had some sub-200 yard games in victories (Texas, Arkansas, WVU), but he would also have just about every TCU passing record if the guy before him didn't exist, and had multiple 300-400 yard games during is time at TCU. Delton's BEST passing game last year was against us when he passed for *checks notes*....155 yards. He's never gone over 170 yards n his career.

He could surprise us, hopefully he does if he's named the starter, but...yeah the Hill comparison seems off to me.
KH played way better than folks want to give him credit for in that second season. Had he been here all 4 years ... boom.
You have to consider world Delton was playing in up there. The scheme could have easily been why he was not throwing more.

jake102

KH played way better than folks want to give him credit for in that second season. Had he been here all 4 years ... boom.
You have to consider world Delton was playing in up there. The scheme could have easily been why he was not throwing more.

Go watch the games. The scheme is certainly part of it, but man.....

jake102

Spot on. Hill was actually pretty darn good in 2017 and was an underrated runner his entire time here.

LeagueCityFrog

I think this season will define Sonny Cumbie. He has plenty of toys on his side of the ball. Defense will cause turnovers to feed his offense. I hope he has the magic to juice one of our QBs up as a mini Patrick Mahomes.

In other news, why can't TCU do like Georgia did a couple of years with Nick Chubb and Sony Michel and put two running backs back in the NFL. Hopefully, Jet fixes whatever the issue is this summer and Sewo runs like a man like he did in the Cheez-it Bowl.

Froggish

No Hill comparison from me..I was referring to Offensive scheme we ran with Kenny at the helm

JockO de Frog

I remember Jalen Hurts freshman and sophomore years in which he managed Alabama’s run heavy offense, had few turnovers, and passed occasionally—for the most part successfully. He was replaced by a QB that would have replaced almost every QB in the country. However, last year Hurts showed that he had improved substantially in the passing game and I doubt Riley would have grabbed him unless he was confident Hurts was good. Which brings me to Delton. Similar run heavy game manager who has on occasion proved he can throw the ball. Perhaps he too has improved his passing game under Cumbie similarly. No, he’s not a Hurts but I’ve got my hopes up.

LeagueCityFrog

Gary must know something about Alex Delton to offer him a shot at QB at TCU. Going back and looking at his stats at K-State. Last year, 2018 season, he rushed for 2 TDs, threw for 2 TDs, and threw 2 interceptions. 55% completion rate.

In 2017, Delton rushed for 8 TDs, threw for 3 TDs, and threw 2 interceptions. 57% completion ratio.

Hopefully he's fast, but I would definitely expect to see some form of a running play more than passing plays when he is in there.

Maybe they have morphed him into Boykin 2.0 from 2014 during this past off season. Who knows but Gary.

ticketfrog123

Spot on. Hill was actually pretty darn good in 2017 and was an underrated runner his entire time here.

He was an underrated runner because he never ran the ball for some reason and pretended to be a pocket passer.

Deep ball was never there for him, either.

Regardless, hard to not be excited about the next few years with our QB room as it’s an improvement from 2016/2017.

Poor taste to bash Delton, who is a current player and by all accounts a well-spoken and level headed leader. Happy to call him a Frog.

Froggish

I watched a few KState games recently (TCU, UT, Kansas) and it was painful. Just the entire offense. In the UT game they were losing 19-0 at halftime when Delton got benched because he didn't have the ability to throw the ball and lead a comeback.

If I’m not mistaken that team also returned 4 OL starters and had a pretty good RB Alex Barnes....Delton will most likely have to lead us with his athleticism as I’m not counting on much down field ability.

Mike Leach has the smartest take on finding a QB..He always says he’s looking for one thing...the guy that “elevates the huddle”. He has a pretty good track record with QBs..

Is Delton the guy that can elevate the huddle? I hope so..

McFroggin

If I’m not mistaken that team also returned 4 OL starters and had a pretty good RB Alex Barnes....Delton will most likely have to lead us with his athleticism as I’m not counting on much down field ability.

Mike Leach has the smartest take on finding a QB..He always says he’s looking for one thing...the guy that “elevates the huddle”. He has a pretty good track record with QBs..

Is Delton the guy that can elevate the huddle? I hope so..

If he doesn’t, Baldwin will snatch the starting job before the season starts.

HFrog12

I think when Darius is healthy and holds onto the football he is one of the best talents we have seen in the backfield in a long time. Until then give me a heavy dose of Sewo, assuming his legal situation is fine. That Cheez-it bowl by Sewo was a thing of beauty.