• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Wexahu

This. Alabama doesn’t put DTs in the league. They recruit guys who would end up in the league if they played at Midwestern State.

Very true. That isn't to say though that Alabama (or LSU) doesn't develop their players too. I think the original point was that these kids who go to these schools aren't going to develop like they would playing for GP. Maybe so, but that's probably not fair, because obviously some do develop into great players.

asleep003

CGP has only put one DT in the NFL as HC and he only played in 4 games and that is used against TCU in recruiting. Hard to argue though and hopefully Bethley and Blacklock will change the story. However no way can you compare TCU DT development to LSU right now.

CGP has in the past used the position to create gaps for the LBers. He is changing that a little each year lately and he needs some talent to fit the new roles but is battling his past. Again that could change soon though.

The point of the thread was... does a 3* DT at 6'2 270 lbs(who may get to 300 lbs) have much of a shot at playing time(never mind the Pros) against the 4/5*s in the classes before him/ in his class/ and those classes coming in behind him. About HS to College, not necessarily College to Pros.

Do believe Blacklock is a lock to the pros, if he stays healthy this year. It appears Bethley has found his best playing wt. at 290lbs and that will probably not work in the NFL … though feel he could be all Big 12 before leaving school.

Last edited:

Atomic Frawg

It’s a movement by HS coaches to redirect recruiting back towards HS coaches and away from handlers/specialized training organizations.
How does having a trainer or handler inhibit head coaches from assisting players? Serious question. If I'm a parent don't I want as much exposure for my kid as possible? Again, I'm serious. Where have the big issues arose?

Chico Dusty

Who? The coaches? They get paid already. The trainers get paid for the extra/offseason camps and workouts. Beyond that I would think any other money would be a violation. Where's the beef?

Yeah..well I don’t think violation side of it stops anything. Big money is being exchanged on these top players. I don’t know the football side as much, and I know that is what we are talking about here - but on the b-ball side - it’s rife with AAU coaches and organizations trying to get money action on players signing, etc. Tons of corruption.

Froggish

Who? The coaches? They get paid already. The trainers get paid for the extra/offseason camps and workouts. Beyond that I would think any other money would be a violation. Where's the beef?

The trainer/handler/AAU problem that has plagued hoops for years has invaded football. Many of these organizations and individuals that operate within them do not have the best interest of the athlete in mind. They are attempting to “sale” the athlete to the highest bidders. Profiteering off the athletes potential. While not every HS school coach is on the up and up, most have more oversight and more to lose by trying to profit off their athletes by cutting under the table deals.

Trainers and para organizations aren’t going away as they do serve a purpose in building up athletes. However it’s widely believed that College coaches should be working with schools to protect the game

Atomic Frawg

Yeah..well I don’t think violation side of it stops anything. Big money is being exchanged on these top players. I don’t know the football side as much, and I know that is what we are talking about here - but on the b-ball side - it’s rife with AAU coaches and organizations trying to get money action on players signing, etc. Tons of corruption.
The trainer/handler/AAU problem that has plagued hoops for years has invaded football. Many of these organizations and individuals that operate within them do not have the best interest of the athlete in mind. They are attempting to “sale” the athlete to the highest bidders. Profiteering off the athletes potential. While not every HS school coach is on the up and up, most have more oversight and more to lose by trying to profit off their athletes by cutting under the table deals.

Trainers and para organizations aren’t going away as they do serve a purpose in building up athletes. However it’s widely believed that College coaches should be working with schools to protect the game
Thanks to you both.

asleep003

small point. LSU runs a 3-4 base defense, according to LSU board he is being recruited as a defensive end in that alignment
Interesting … Considering he would be the shortest DE they've recruited in years and the Tigers have already recruited 3 other DEs, 2 of which are 4 *s / a 5.8 and a 5.9. Their DEs are normally Large/Wiry/and incredibly athletic … not Short and Stumpy. And either way ... he is still in the same predicament, with Staff that is less motivated to do the development at TCU's level.

Last edited:

Froggish

He's from New Orleans; LSU wanted him; end of story in those situations
This....We don’t see it in TX because of how much D1 volume is present, but a state like LA is only going to produce maybe 30 D1 players every year and from that possibly 10 that could truly physically compete at LSU. There is a lot pressure by locals to keep them in state. That means occasionally buttoning down a few questionable guys just to keep the locals happy. No matter where your at, conventional wisdom says you have to lock down your local talent because locals love cheering for their brothers, nephews, neighbors son down the road.

TX and CA are very different because they each have a ton of D1 schools in them which erodes and defy regionalism but LA, OK, MS, Ark,..(.List goes on)..CFB world revolves around the local team.

Eight

This....We don’t see it in TX because of how much D1 volume is present, but a state like LA is only going to produce maybe 30 D1 players every year and from that possibly 10 that could truly physically compete at LSU. There is a lot pressure by locals to keep them in state. That means occasionally buttoning down a few questionable guys just to keep the locals happy. No matter where your at, conventional wisdom says you have to lock down your local talent because locals love cheering for their brothers, nephews, neighbors son down the road.

TX and CA are very different because they each have a ton of D1 schools in them which erodes and defy regionalism but LA, OK, MS, Ark,..(.List goes on)..CFB world revolves around the local team.

it is more than just the number of recruits produced by the state.

lsu is THE school in that state and one could argue that outside of nola the tigers are more popular than the saints.

you have a great deal of pride in that area that focuses on one school playing a sport that is a huge deal.

thing is, they don't lock down every kid and if they falter even a bit people have pulled talent out of the state.

consider that last year was considered a great year in the boot. lsu did sign 8 of the top 10, but only 1 of the next 10 and if you look at 11-20 last year there was some great talent coming out of the state.

2018 they only pulled 5 of the top 10 in state and 1 went to tcu and 2 to kansas.

2017 they only pulled 3 of the top 10 in state and 5 of the top 20 which set off the cry to keep their kids in state.

miles had runs his course at lsu. the tigers were 19-13 in the sec his last 4 years, had some ugly losses, and weren't keeping pace with bama.

funny how even a school with a huge stadium, rabid fan base, talent close at hand, tradition, players in the nfl, and a fairly recent national title can lose its bearings

Froggish

Looks like LA speedster Cory Wren will choose tomorrow and just about everyone knows it’s going to be GA..Another swing and miss..Looks like the momentum we had rolling has grinder to a stop...Hoping we get it cranked soon..