• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Froggish

I’m kinda surprised more JUCO kids don’t commit early and redshirt their second year like this kid. I’m guessing the JUCO coaches don’t love it.
Most JUCO kids don’t have the offer sheet they want so they assume they can improve their stock by playing a second year..

CryptoMiner

TE recruiting is getting tricky for this staff and getting in the top 10 for Blake Smith was finally some welcome news. Jalin Conyers (Gruver) has released his top 6 which omitted TCU (and Texas). Still bit of a longshot on Smith though he has been strong on the coaching staff and developing offense.

Another name to follow is a JUCO TE:

Luke Stillwell TE 6-4/225 Kilgore College (formarly QB and Denton Guyer, biggest offer to-date is Colorado but TCU may jump into the mix soon.

Stillwell gets the offer

asleep003

That was over quickly though no surprise

If he only realized he'll be fighting up hill against primarily 4 and 5 *s in front of him and coming in behind him... plus those schools don't bother developing players because they just let the best 4/5* players fight it out. They coach, but feel no need to develop.

TCU puts the effort in development on their kids... reaching the top 10 six of the last 11 seasons. And on top of that advantage, if even the kid had the opportunity to notice what a dumpy environment Baton Rouge is compared to Cowtown … only 2nd to Austin in the Big 12.

Last edited:

CryptoMiner

If he only realized he'll be fighting up hill against primarily 4 and 5 *s in front of him and coming in behind him... plus those schools don't bother developing players because they just let the best 4/5* players fight it out. They coach, but feel no need to develop.

TCU puts the effort in development on their kids... reaching the top 10 six of the last 11 seasons. And on top of that advantage, if even the kid had the opportunity to notice what a dumpy environment Baton Rouge is compared to Cowtown … only 2nd to Austin in the Big 12.

CGP has only put one DT in the NFL as HC and he only played in 4 games and that is used against TCU in recruiting. Hard to argue though and hopefully Bethley and Blacklock will change the story. However no way can you compare TCU DT development to LSU right now.

CGP has in the past used the position to create gaps for the LBers. He is changing that a little each year lately and he needs some talent to fit the new roles but is battling his past. Again that could change soon though.

CryptoMiner

TE and DT are the two positions under CGP that have lacked NFL caliber players and they are trying hard to change both. A little more success at DT the last few year but still struggling this round.

Both positions currently have talent that can change the perception if they can stay healthy. TE is more of a stretch but Lynn is extremely athletic and Wells if healthy can be a difference maker.

However 2020 recruiting class so far is lacking big time at both spots. Maybe John Lanz can convince his former QB to fill the TE spot.

Froggish

TE and DT are the two positions under CGP that have lacked NFL caliber players and they are trying hard to change both. A little more success at DT the last few year but still struggling this round.

Both positions currently have talent that can change the perception if they can stay healthy. TE is more of a stretch but Lynn is extremely athletic and Wells if healthy can be a difference maker.

However 2020 recruiting class so far is lacking big time at both spots. Maybe John Lanz can convince his former QB to fill the TE spot.

A lot of truth here...As you’ve pointed out, we have made great strides at DT with Blaclock and Bethley. I also like the potential of Ellis III and incoming Johnson. Ultimately we aren’t in the same neighborhood as LSU. We would need to find 2-3 big DTs every year for GP to consider any real scheme change from the interior.

GPs scheme is remarkable because of how consistently effective it’s been without much NFL talent, size, and athleticism. While we are worlds better in size and athleticism then we used to be, the combination of the two is where we still haven’t consistently won on the recruiting trail. The good news is we are in on the right kids and that’s where it starts.

Ron Swanson

Does anyone honestly think that LSU, Bama, Clemson, etc... put more DT’s into the league because of how they developed them while in school?

Or is it because there are very few 6’3” 320 lb high school seniors who can move, and the entire country is after the same guys but only the blue blood type programs land them?

I realize there’s a perception vs reality issue and the NFL players only help the blue bloods case even more.

Froggish

Does anyone honestly think that LSU, Bama, Clemson, etc... put more DT’s into the league because of how they developed them while in school?

Or is it because there are very few 6’3” 320 lb high school seniors who can move, and the entire country is after the same guys but only the blue blood type programs land them?

I realize there’s a perception vs reality issue and the NFL players only help the blue bloods case even more.

No....I don’t think it’s about development...It’s about size, Strength, and speed and how that translates to what the NFL requires...A good coach like GP can make an undersized player effective in his scheme...That doesn’t work at the NFL level

Eight

recruiting great d-tackles and putting them in the nfl in my mind is a great deal like cooking a great steak.

you buy quality meat, prepare it properly, and more times than not you get a great steak.

guys like christian wilkins, ashawn robinson, casey hampton, sean rodgers, big ross etc... are elite in large part due to genetics. being that big, fast, strong, etc....

there are a few who might have grown into the position, but the majority of the elite had the tools when they stepped on the college campus

Frog-in-law1995

This. Alabama doesn’t put DTs in the league. They recruit guys who would end up in the league if they played at Midwestern State.

CryptoMiner

Maybe not development per se but the schemes they use are more likely to get the ready for the next level. Of course the can use those schemes because of the players they recruit, however TCU is changing its scheme up front which should help.

Froggish

Maybe not development per se but the schemes they use are more likely to get the ready for the next level. Of course the can use those schemes because of the players they recruit, however TCU is changing its scheme up front which should help.

I know we played some 3 stack last year which was a mixed bag, but I’m not sure changing our schemes all that smart given how effective they’ve been..How do you see the scheme up front changing?

Eight

i have heard the comments before about how tcu's utilizes (or has utilized) their defensive tackles has hurt them in recruiting, but what i find interesting is other programs seem to skirt the problem.

the down 3 in the texas front are basically catching blockers and freeing up the linebackers to make plays. if you are a defensive end for texas you are playing head up or even an inside shade instead of setting up on the outside shoulder.