• The KillerFrogs

D-Day - thoughts, stories?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
And that’s why a lot of people from that time didnt really care about what the atomic bombs did.

That was the least of their bad tactics. They also would cut off prisoners genitals and stuff them in their mouths. Raped and killed women and children inNanking. Tested various horrendous diseases on Aussie, Dutch and American prisoners. My uncle told me after a while a lot of GIs just didn’t take prisoners after spring atrocities.

MTfrog5

That was the least of their bad tactics. They also would cut off prisoners genitals and stuff them in their mouths. Raped and killed women and children inNanking. Tested various horrendous diseases on Aussie, Dutch and American prisoners. My uncle told me after a while a lot of GIs just didn’t take prisoners after spring atrocities.
Yup like i said earlier in the thread, my grandfather was in Korea but he went to his grave despising pretty much all Asians. Hard to call his racist with what he dealt with first hand and then what he was told during training from WW2

Billy Clyde

Some of the first fighter pilots to sign up after Pearl Harbor had already been fighting the Japanese in China as privateers before we entered the war, because of the atrocities Japan was engaged in there. Flying P-51 Mustangs, the Flying Tigers. If you are interested in that kind of thing, there are some great biographies out there about Claire Chennault, who was the leader of that bunch. Pappy Boyington was one of his guys.

It's hard for me to appreciate how much evil they did back then, because every person of Japanese descent I've ever known or met seems completely incapable of such thought. I guess getting their cities vaporized really humbled their national psyche.

Eight

not a huge fan of bill o'reilly, but his killing the rising sun for me gave as complete an overview for me of the ruthlessness and atrocities of the japanese in the philippines, korea, and chain, the arrogance of macarthur and how his obsession with the philippines resulted in the unneeded deaths of thousands of us soldiers, the multiple military blunders of the us high command in tactics against the japanese, and the savagery with which the americans had to fight to in many cases survive tactics that were incomparable to what american soldiers had faced in any prior conflict, and how the dropping of the two a-bombs was really the only way to end the war.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Some of the first fighter pilots to sign up after Pearl Harbor had already been fighting the Japanese in China as privateers before we entered the war, because of the atrocities Japan was engaged in there. Flying P-51 Mustangs, the Flying Tigers. If you are interested in that kind of thing, there are some great biographies out there about Claire Chennault, who was the leader of that bunch. Pappy Boyington was one of his guys.

It's hard for me to appreciate how much evil they did back then, because every person of Japanese descent I've ever known or met seems completely incapable of such thought. I guess getting their cities vaporized really humbled their national psyche.

Pretty sure what they flew were P40 Warhawks.

Froglaw

Anybody else on here think Monty was a doofus? And don't get me started on the French.

I used to think that.

But then I read more about North Africa and I realized he was actually very very good.

Like Patton, he wanted glory but agreed to labor under Ike.

Market-Garden was a mistake from the beginning. Way too optimistic on the armour drive up a narrow road with swamp land on either side.

French courage proved in Dunkirk, Africa, Normandy, etc. Good troops that were poorly lead is always a recipe for disaster.

Last edited:

ShadowFrog

Moderators
My grandfather was General Chennault’s Intelligence Officer in the Flying Tigers.
Claire Chennault has a house in Commerce, Texas with a state historical plaque out front where I attended HS. Later, after enlisting & later still commissioning I was privileged to serve as Transporter in the 23rd Tactical Fighter Wing (Flying Tigers) as a 2nd Lieutenant. 1 year later DS/DS kicked off and I was in the sand box, the first of 5 tours.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I used to think that.

But then I read more about North Africa and I realized he was actually very very good.

Market-Garden was a mistake from the beginning. Way too optimistic on the armour drive up a narrow road with swamp land on either side.

French courage proved in Dunkirk, Africa, Normandy, etc. Good troops that were poorly lead is always a recipe for disaster.
And the folly of the Maginot Line.

BedfordFrog68

I used to think that.

As soldiers, the French have always been poorly evaluated in WW2....French national politics at the time virtually destroyed the military's ability to challenge the Germans....An American Heroes Channel documentary points out that German soldiers were hopped up on amphetemines which helped grind down the French poilus....