• The KillerFrogs

2023-2024 European Football Thread

Chongo94

Those were 3 really awful goals to give up. That first one was all on Steffen. Just clear the ball if you don't have an outlet. The last place you deposit it is right up the middle 25 yards from your goal. That's worse than a rookie mistake.

The 2nd one was a great shot by Rondon, but he never should have had the shot anyway. Lazy defending and absolutely no desire to close down a lane.

The last one was also a nice individual effort, but again it is an effort that never should have happened.

We were also very careless in transition. They countered quickly and our D was consistently out of position when the counter started. That's why we lost.

Other than those really egregious mistakes I thought we looked pretty good. We have to finish chances, though. We weren't completely subjugated. I felt we dictated most of the match and really showed a fun style to watch. That Steffen brain fart really killed a great start, though, and forced the group to rebuild momentum it shouldn't have had to capture again.

Constantly out of position, constantly. Their counter attack was deadly and precise today. That last goal was offside I thought but not called but no matter, as you said, shouldn’t have happened.

I’m hoping Steffan’s time with Düsseldorf will go a long way to improving him because he’s about it for our upcoming goalies.

I understand these past two matches were sort of test matches but wow, I have a feeling this upcoming Gold Cup May be well below average for us.

Purp

Constantly out of position, constantly. Their counter attack was deadly and precise today. That last goal was offside I thought but not called but no matter, as you said, shouldn’t have happened.

I’m hoping Steffan’s time with Düsseldorf will go a long way to improving him because he’s about it for our upcoming goalies.

I understand these past two matches were sort of test matches but wow, I have a feeling this upcoming Gold Cup May be well below average for us.
I guess what's encouraging about the defensive positioning issue is that it's one of the easiest things to correct. you don't have to be fast or have any great technical abilities; you just have to be in the right spot. A lot of times a single film session can fix that. I'm cautiously optimistic about the Gold Cup, but much more cautious after this last week. I think we have a very talented side with a lot of potential and they get a couple tune up games to start group play (if you'll allow me to call T&T a tune-up still).

Eight

USA down 3-0 to Venezuela by the 36th minute ha. Just getting bossed. Show moments of capability and then just completely fall apart. What a joke!

You don’t continue to test and tweak at this point right before a tourney Berhalter! Ridiculous.

damn embarrassing how a country that at one time could at least defend and had a run of quality keepers looked like a u-14 team w poor effort, poor execution, and a level of game awareness that is mind numbing.

jamaica and venezuela are not goods sides and that last 180 minutes of soccer were bad

Purp

I'm not ready to go down that road yet with Berhalter. I was early on with Boob Bradley and things went well for a spell. I was enthusiastic early on with Jurgen and things went south in a hurry. I'm willing to let this play out well beyond the Gold Cup this summer. It's an important tournament, but not nearly as important as the one next year that will qualify us for the Confederations Cup. And it's not like I have huge expectations of beating Mexico this year since the Gold Cup final isn't in Columbus. If we'd draw them in Columbus or Seattle I'd predict a dos a cero final score. Anywhere else in America and they win by 1-3 goals.

Chongo94

I realize that many on here consider Sally Jenkins some kind of deity given her lineage but I’ve never liked her and her recent article on the women’s team just reminds me again why. Always thought she was a little too quick to interject certain politics into her arguments and articles where none were warranted. I’m not going to link to it but you can find it in the Washington Post online if interested.

Essentially she argues that everything regarding soccer in the USA in the past 20 years or so is due to the women’s national team. She even posits that perhaps FIFA’s growth over the past 20 years is due to them. Ridiculous.

I’m not against fair pay for the women’s team, far from it...I just don’t like any of the arguments made for it because they ignore and assume too much. Plus they consistently tear down the men’s team while making their arguments, which I don’t think is needed....And again, ignores the realities of the women’s game and how the US Women have had a head start of oh about 50 freaking years on every single other country on earth playing the women’s game!

Moose Stuff

I realize that many on here consider Sally Jenkins some kind of deity given her lineage but I’ve never liked her and her recent article on the women’s team just reminds me again why. Always thought she was a little too quick to interject certain politics into her arguments and articles where none were warranted. I’m not going to link to it but you can find it in the Washington Post online if interested.

Essentially she argues that everything regarding soccer in the USA in the past 20 years or so is due to the women’s national team. She even posits that perhaps FIFA’s growth over the past 20 years is due to them. Ridiculous.

I’m not against fair pay for the women’s team, far from it...I just don’t like any of the arguments made for it because they ignore and assume too much. Plus they consistently tear down the men’s team while making their arguments, which I don’t think is needed....And again, ignores the realities of the women’s game and how the US Women have had a head start of oh about 50 freaking years on every single other country on earth playing the women’s game!

I think there’s some truth in there.

Purp

I've never noticed a political angle to her writing before, but I admittedly only read her when she's linked here. I do think she's a great sports writer compared to most you can find nationally, but any sports writer littering politics into their sports opinions turns me off. It's the main reason I avoid everything Richie Whitt writes. That smug little twerp can't go two paragraphs without a political jab thrown in. Whether I agree with his political point (usually don't) or not is irrelevant. The dude writes like a political commentator dabbling into sports.

Rose Bowl

Juventus agrees to 5MM for Maurizio Sarri. Chelsea looking once again for a manager. I hope it isn’t Lampard because the situation in west London with the transfer ban isn’t going to be easy for any manager. He’s a club legend and he doesn’t need the aggravation.

Purp

Juventus agrees to 5MM for Maurizio Sarri. Chelsea looking once again for a manager. I hope it isn’t Lampard because the situation in west London with the transfer ban isn’t going to be easy for any manager. He’s a club legend and he doesn’t need the aggravation.
I hope it's Mourinho.

Chongo94

From what I understand, he’s the betting favorite. Seems crazy to me but epl clubs can be crazy at times when it comes to their manager appointments.

Purp

Saw a tweet from Abby Wambach in response to the criticism of the excessive celebrations during 13-0 where she asked, "Would you be asking the men to stop celebrating?" This is a perfect example of the kind of tone deaf, agenda driven drivel that is souring me on the women's team.

Yes, if the men were winning 10-0 in the final 10 minutes of a group play game I'd probably be a little turned off by goal celebrations in the same way. Truth be told, I didn't think any of them were really uncalled for except for maybe Rapinoe's sliding karate kick thing and the team huddle sideline dance. That said, I understand why people are/were turned off by it and it has nothing to do with what's between the players' legs. The most vocal criticisms I saw on FB were all female.

I just don't understand why the most prolific female scorer in the history of the world has to act like a victim b/c of her gender and sexual preference when she spent her entire career without the slightest criticism due to her abilities. It drives me nuts.

tcujsauce

Saw a tweet from Abby Wambach in response to the criticism of the excessive celebrations during 13-0 where she asked, "Would you be asking the men to stop celebrating?" This is a perfect example of the kind of tone deaf, agenda driven drivel that is souring me on the women's team.

Yes, if the men were winning 10-0 in the final 10 minutes of a group play game I'd probably be a little turned off by goal celebrations in the same way. Truth be told, I didn't think any of them were really uncalled for except for maybe Rapinoe's sliding karate kick thing and the team huddle sideline dance. That said, I understand why people are/were turned off by it and it has nothing to do with what's between the players' legs. The most vocal criticisms I saw on FB were all female.

I just don't understand why the most prolific female scorer in the history of the world has to act like a victim b/c of her gender and sexual preference when she spent her entire career without the slightest criticism due to her abilities. It drives me nuts.

Time to root for Die Frauen-Nationalmannschaft!

Eight

my first reaction to the idea of the us men scoring 13 goals in a world cup match?

1mero0.jpg

agree completely with purp and if the women's team and it's supporters want to turn people off continue to act the way you are acting in response to complaints about your excessive celebrations.

wambach and alex morgan were off base with their comments and this isn't about you being a women's team, but supposedly a team that is familiar with playing and succeeding at this level.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA

Yeah that was a terrible hypothetical for her to make.

Moose Stuff

The gender angle is absurd and the 3 female studio hosts on Fox all said as much. That being said.... if the men were ahead 10-0 in a World Cup game..... LMAO, that ain’t ever happening!!!