• The KillerFrogs

TCU Construction Updates

netty2424

TCU is saying by October 25 it will be ready. LOL
Little sheet rock here and there, and this thing is good as open!!
giphy.gif

tcujsauce

Thanks. I bought three seats on the top row under the new east side suites. Just wondered if the sun ever got to that row. I think I am going to have it made in the shade.

You picked well, uncle! We’re about 6 rows from the top in 234 JJ, hoping we get some of that shade too

ShadowFrog

Moderators
I will volunteer to go ahead and ask the completely uninformed question. Is it possible they can go 24 seven on this project and still be done in time? Or is that materially unfeasible or financially un-doable?

Froggish

I will volunteer to go ahead and ask the completely uninformed question. Is it possible they can go 24 seven on this project and still be done in time? Or is that materially unfeasible or financially un-doable?

Labor typically represents a huge portion of the budget. Sometimes as much as 65% ..While most construction contractors build make up hours into the expense, it’s generally not more then 6 weeks...A GC has enough problems working to get subs to buy into a project on the level necessary to keep quality high..I can’t imagine the conversations trying to get them all to double their labor requirements, expenses, and deliveries...

thefrogking

You picked well, uncle! We’re about 6 rows from the top in 234 JJ, hoping we get some of that shade too
Justin, I figured the top row was the safest for being in the shade. After a season of seeing just how many of the rows stay in the shade I might try to get a little closer to mid field. I’m on like the 10 yard line now.

Paint It Purple

Labor typically represents a huge portion of the budget. Sometimes as much as 65% ..While most construction contractors build make up hours into the expense, it’s generally not more then 6 weeks...A GC has enough problems working to get subs to buy into a project on the level necessary to keep quality high..I can’t imagine the conversations trying to get them all to double their labor requirements, expenses, and deliveries...
Your statement sadly seems an indictment of modern construction in so many cases these days. "just throw it up and over charge". It at least sounds like TCU is trying to build something that will stand the test of time. Hope so.

netty2424

What happens to those people who have purchased seats/suites/loge boxes this season? Are they put in temporary seats in the 400 sections?

And the money they paid? Is that parlayed into next season? Or was that part of the gamble of completion?

Froggish

Your statement sadly seems an indictment of modern construction in so many cases these days. "just throw it up and over charge". It at least sounds like TCU is trying to build something that will stand the test of time. Hope so.

Agreed..Unfortunately quality of work has become the first thing sacrificed in many construction projects...I’ve never seen a scenario where sacrificing quality for time is a good thing. If that means we have to wait a year then so be it.

LeagueCityFrog

What happens to those people who have purchased seats/suites/loge boxes this season? Are they put in temporary seats in the 400 sections?

And the money they paid? Is that parlayed into next season? Or was that part of the gamble of completion?

I think they are only going to charge the season ticket portion for the games available, but also offer people an opportunity to buy tickets to the stadium club and other areas of the stadium for the first three home games if they so choose.

In other words, if they get the east side open in time for the UT game, TCU Athletics will charge the east siders for home games 4,5,6. Concurrently for the first three home games, I was told they will offer people an option to be in the Stadium Club, which is the club area under the basketball arena, for hospitality for that game. You can't predict weather in Texas, but last fall was wet and windy. TCU will make sure it is first-class before they open it as they always do.

There is also a capital portion to the East Side. It can be paid all in full last year or over five years. TCU will get that portion of the money in 2019 regardless.

Gary can handle the first three home games just with the talent he has on this team, but he is going to want that home field advantage noise for the UT game.

Last edited:

Big Frog II

I have been by at night and they were working. I don’t know how late they stayed but it was definitely dark. They had temporary lighting.

lowfrog

"Eiffel Tower was started in 1887, and it's still not enclosed."

Just be careful before hiring a French construction company. They were unable to finish the Panama canal too. Teddy had to finish it. We'll see what happens with Notre Dame.

Frogenstein

They have been working at night for quite a while. I recall that during basketball season they were still working after the night games ended.

Putt4Purple

I think they are only going to charge the season ticket portion for the games available, but also offer people an opportunity to buy tickets to the stadium club and other areas of the stadium for the first three home games if they so choose.

In other words, if they get the east side open in time for the UT game, TCU Athletics will charge the east siders for home games 4,5,6. Concurrently for the first three home games, I was told they will offer people an option to be in the Stadium Club, which is the club area under the basketball arena, for hospitality for that game. You can't predict weather in Texas, but last fall was wet and windy. TCU will make sure it is first-class before they open it as they always do.

There is also a capital portion to the East Side. It can be paid all in full last year or over five years. TCU will get that portion of the money in 2019 regardless.

Gary can handle the first three home games just with the talent he has on this team, but he is going to want that home field advantage noise for the UT game.

I will only dispute your comment about "You can't predict weather in Texas, but last fall was wet and windy." Last year in general was wet and windy but for most of our games it was warm and hot on game days. I understand your point about the wet conditions for delaying the construction. Therefore you are correct. You cannot predict. Carry on!

HToady

Walked on the East Campus last night. Fine Arts building is done. Landscaped and lights on. Construction fencing taken down.

Neeley school, lights on and landscaping underway. Construction junk and fencing still there.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
Thanks a lot.... Not all of us live in the Promised Land. If it isn't too much to ask, it would be great if you posted those same angles of pictures here every couple of weeks.

Really excited for the impact of this project.

I'll do what I can. They were working yesterday and the gate into the stadium was open. Can't guarantee that every time.

The Sandage lot has been stripped and is down to dirt, no announcement of an official ground-breaking for the hotel that I know of.

LeagueCityFrog

I wonder what stage 3 entails?

If TCU Athletics was smart, which they are, and they want to really pack The Carter in a couple years after they absorb the east side expansion, they should look at doing a two tier premium area expansion right next to the East Side Expansion that targets 3-4 groups. I would build a two tier walking/standing "socializing area" that is an in-game tailgating space basically that serves craft beer and food from places like Buffalo Brothers. That would be a revenue source for TCU athletics and the "it place" for junior and seniors to hang out during the game. You could sell specified sections of the area that have pre sold bar tables and seats to specificities sororities, fraternities, and student organizations on an annual basis. I can see the bragging rights already for which groups bought the best locations based on how much they paid for that location.

I would put the juniors and seniors on the bottom tier and then sell standing/bar top socializing sections to the grad program students, organizations, and the new medical school students on the top tier of this structure. Maybe also have a couple of section of tables for companies TCU Athletics is wanting to groom to start sponsoring their sports. The back side would also have the same great view overlooking campus and downtown Fort Worth.

TCU people like exclusive experiences and there is a nice chunk of real estate still at The Carter that they could make a bunch of money off of future TCU students and finally move the tailgate scene out in the parking lots into the Carter for the game. All it would need is proven shade and some A/C like they did on the East Side Project. This two deck project would finishing bowling in our stadium and would be a sizzle feature that other stadiums would not have. Royals stadium in KC has something similar in two spots where people are free to walk around and socialize in the game and spend a bunch of money in those spaces and the fans love it.

It is called Craft and Draft.

https://www.mlb.com/royals/tickets/craft-draft