• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

Eight

Teenagers are emotion filled waffle fries of humans....Their concepts of the future is a net not a container. Today dream school oozes out every 24 hours to be filled with the a new dream school. The blue bloods seem to have figured out how to slow the oozing longer then the rest of us..

i don't think there really is much secret to how the blue blood programs stay front and center of recruits.

they continually are given media attention, all three of his finalist are ranked annually among the very best in the country, all three regularly have players taken in the nfl draft.

pretty easy story to tell when you talk about being continually the best in your conference, uga and ohio state tout the reputation of their conference, and they sell the nfl story.

look no farther than the ability of texas and usc to deflect for years their continual underachievement as a team, but the continued stream of recruits into their program never slows regardless of the results as a team

consider usc. their recruiting classes since 2010 are as follows:

20th, 4th, 4th, 10th, 2nd, 10th, 13th, 8th, 3rd, and 3rd

8 of their classes have been ranked in the top 10. 8 out of 10.

49 players have been drafted during that same time and 7 have been first rounders.

now the team results, over that time period usc is 78-40 overall and 54-27 in conference play. during that ten year period while they have consistently had the highest rated recruiting classes on the west coast they have 1 conference title.

they have finished the season 4 times not ranked and only finished in the top 10 three times.

they continually pull kids out of their backyard regardless of their performance, regardless of the quality of their conference, regardless of their crappy stadium and lacking facilities because they have a brand that is freaking bullet proof in so cal.

compare that with tcu who can't get a damn look from a number of the areas best talent.

froginmn

i don't think there really is much secret to how the blue blood programs stay front and center of recruits.

they continually are given media attention, all three of his finalist are ranked annually among the very best in the country, all three regularly have players taken in the nfl draft.

pretty easy story to tell when you talk about being continually the best in your conference, uga and ohio state tout the reputation of their conference, and they sell the nfl story.

look no farther than the ability of texas and usc to deflect for years their continual underachievement as a team, but the continued stream of recruits into their program never slows regardless of the results as a team

consider usc. their recruiting classes since 2010 are as follows:

20th, 4th, 4th, 10th, 2nd, 10th, 13th, 8th, 3rd, and 3rd

8 of their classes have been ranked in the top 10. 8 out of 10.

49 players have been drafted during that same time and 7 have been first rounders.

now the team results, over that time period usc is 78-40 overall and 54-27 in conference play. during that ten year period while they have consistently had the highest rated recruiting classes on the west coast they have 1 conference title.

they have finished the season 4 times not ranked and only finished in the top 10 three times.

they continually pull kids out of their backyard regardless of their performance, regardless of the quality of their conference, regardless of their crappy stadium and lacking facilities because they have a brand that is freaking bullet proof in so cal.

compare that with tcu who can't get a damn look from a number of the areas best talent.
And when I look at their recruiting results versus our on field results, I wouldn't trade.

Eight

And when I look at their recruiting results versus our on field results, I wouldn't trade.

just to provide some substance tcu during that time has had recruiting classes ranked

47th, 28th, 29th, 35th, 43rd, 39th, 21st, 28th, and 25th. to put that in comparative perspective the worst recruiting class usc has had is a class rated 20th and the highest rated class tcu has had was rated 21st

frogs over that time are 82-35 overall, 50-27 in conference play, won or tied for 3 conference titles, weren't rated 4 times, but were ranked in the top 10 4 times and 3 of those have happened since joining the big 12.

27 frogs have gotten drafted and 4 of those were first round selections.

do we know tcu would have definitively done better that usc if they had recruited at the level of usc? no way to know and i also don't agree with those that gary just needs his 2 and 3 stars to be successful because he and his staff are out recruiting the 5 and 4 stars just as usc.

one program seems to just deflect continually under performing and pulls local talent apparently at will and another despite multiple years of success still can't get a foothold in the top metroplex talent for some reason.

Nah, it makes sense. This is the biggest decision of his young life - need to be more than sentimental. He might love TCU and TCU might be the best place for him, but he owes it to himself to fully explore his options and not just go with his heart. Same with any recruit.
I don’t think he’s ever seen the campus. I doubt he’d commit sight unseen.

netty2424

just to provide some substance tcu during that time has had recruiting classes ranked

47th, 28th, 29th, 35th, 43rd, 39th, 21st, 28th, and 25th. to put that in comparative perspective the worst recruiting class usc has had is a class rated 20th and the highest rated class tcu has had was rated 21st

frogs over that time are 82-35 overall, 50-27 in conference play, won or tied for 3 conference titles, weren't rated 4 times, but were ranked in the top 10 4 times and 3 of those have happened since joining the big 12.

27 frogs have gotten drafted and 4 of those were first round selections.

do we know tcu would have definitively done better that usc if they had recruited at the level of usc? no way to know and i also don't agree with those that gary just needs his 2 and 3 stars to be successful because he and his staff are out recruiting the 5 and 4 stars just as usc.

one program seems to just deflect continually under performing and pulls local talent apparently at will and another despite multiple years of success still can't get a foothold in the top metroplex talent for some reason.
Need a bigger stadium with brighter lights. Seems to be that simple.

Froggish

Most Blue bloods are located in places where the only thing to obsess about is the local football team..Bama, Michigan, OU, Ohio St, now Clemson....Is say USC and TX are a little different being in destination spots. In Oklahoma at 6am in the morning I can turn on 3-4 Radio stations and several TV channels and listen to commentary on a 4th string lineman. Kids get made into celebrity in those places and that will never be the case at TCU..We don’t have the bandwidth and ecosystem for that. To get into the thought process of 4-5 star kids we have to kick down the CFP door and force our way into that thought process. All things considered the staff has done an exceptional job taking up their recruiting game over the last 2-3 years..

LeagueCityFrog

I keep seeing these top kids putting TCU in their Top 5 with OU, Alabama, LSU, and Clemson. We are doing something right and these 4 other schools can't take them all. I was reading in one of the preseason magazines, one of our opposing coaches said of TCU, if they get solid play out of their quarterback this season plus how we have completely elevated our recruiting process then watch out for TCU.

Eight

always going to be a group of kids that seek the biggest, no different than the academics who run off to ivy league schools because they believe that will be a better opportunity and never consider the cultural fit.

frogs will never win that battle simply due to math. we just don't have that many living alums and since the cowboys came to dallas college football has been an afterthought to most who live and cover sports in the metroplex.

what is frustrating is the lack of credibility tcu has gotten in the metroplex among the best recruits for 20 years of success and schools who continue to pull talent out of the start simply because they are perceived a bigger brand.

parents, teachers, coaches, family, media influence these kids and for whatever reason tcu has struggled to make inroads despite the success. some of these issues have been self-inflicted, but a great deal is just long term perceptions of the school which is nothing but arrogance and ignorance.

the big 10 and sec schools salting the recruiting fields is to be expected, but it doesn't help when the biggest school in the conference pulls the same [ Finebaum ].

i agree with froggish the staff has done a great job expanding their field of vision for recruits and i would love to see the frogs work so cal.

asleep003

We have grown from the 2/3 * recruit destination to a 3/4* stop. CGP has done more with fewer *s than any other coach in football. Curious what Saban's record would be at Bama(since 2007) with the same # of *s recruits as the frogs.

So does Nick actually have anywhere close to his 141-20 record at Bama with 1/4 the 4/5* recruits.?. Does he have 6 top 10 finishes in the last 11 years... including 2 being top 5 rankings. Plus, is Nick 7-3 in his last 10 bowl appearances as the Frogs were?

Last edited:

Froggish

We have grown from the 2/3 * recruit destination to a 3/4* stop. CGP has done more with fewer *s than any other coach in football. Curious what Saban's record would be at Bama(since 2007) with the same # of *s recruits as the frogs.

So does Nick actually have anywhere close to his 141-20 record at Bama with 1/4 the 4/5* recruits.?. Does he have 6 top 10 finishes in the last 11 years... including 2 were top 5 rankings. Plus, is Nick 7-3 in his last 10 bowl appearances as the Frogs were?

According to 247..Nick has finished with the #1 ranked recruiting class in the country 8 out of the last 9 years.....So your question is valid...I think he’s a very good coach but I believe there are probably 20-30 coaches in the country that could win at Bamas level with those recruits. Again he is a great coach but he’s not in a league of his own..I refuse to believe that