Texas Tech: $79.1 million

Iowa State: $71.9 million

Big XII third revenue per conference:

Big Ten: $54.0 million per school

SEC: $43.7 million per school

Big 12: $38.8 million per school

ACC: $29.5 million per school

Pac-12: $29.5 million per school

....but then you have to ALSO add in our tier three revenues like The Longhorn Network (UT), Fox Sports Oklahoma (OU), and Fox Sports Southwest (TCU). CDC said he gave away these rights for a bargain last time around and he knew it, but was looking at the big picture. ADJD will squeeze more money out of the new ESPN Sports Southwest for our tier three rights when it's time, or maybe the Big XII conference already did it for him with that digital conference deal they agreed to with ESPN+ last month. UT and OU are laughing all the way to the bank right now and in the future. All the Big XII members really are. Now we need to win championships in football, men's basketball, and baseball.

All figures were posted on the Des Moines Register

ticketfrog123

Do Baylor and TCU actually disclose the numbers here or are these wild guesses?

I thought only the conference payout to all member schools was disclosed.

LeagueCityFrog

My guess would be $115.2 million (tickets, parking, donations, concessions, merchandise, etc.) + $38.2 million (Big XII TV Tier 1 and 2 ABC/ESPN/FOX money, Bowl Game money, NCAA Basketball Tourney money, Big XII football championship ticket money) + maybe an additional $2 million from Fox Sports Southwest if that isn't already folded into TCU's quoted $115.2 million. I bet we get around $5-$6 million a year with the new ESPN Sports Southwest/ESPN + deal coming in 2020 for our tier 3 rights.

My guess... Total TCU athletics income nut is somewhere around $154 to $156 million. And how the desired goal of $100 million in donations for the east side project is rolled into their numbers is unknown to me.

For comparison, I think we made like $2 million a year from the Mountain West Confernece the last year of being a member.

Again these numbers came from the Des Moines Register, not me.

Last edited:

MAcFroggy

The big 12 revenue figure it the projected figure for FY2019 while the other numbers are for FY2018. If we are trying to be consistent it should look like this:

Big XII third revenue per conference:
Big Ten: $54.0 million per school
SEC: $43.7 million per school
Big 12: $38.8 million per school $34.7 million per school
ACC: $29.5 million per school
Pac-12: $29.5 million per school

Another thing to note is that the average Big 10 payout is actually around $48M per school. Maryland and Rutgers still receive smaller shares than the rest of the schools.

The big 12 CCG and ESPN+ deal will give the conference an extra $1M-$2M per season. TCU received around $600K in tier 3 rights the past couple of years.

Edit: A couple of additional points:

Considering the media makes it seem like the Big 12 is constantly falling apart, the big 12 is solidly number 3.

The biggest/best college football package is the tier 1 SEC package. CBS is currently paying around $50M a year for SEC championship, #1 SEC game every week, and a couple of SEC night games. When that gets renegotiated I imagine it will result in at least $10M addition for each SEC program.

I am not under an illusion that the Big12 will ever pass the SEC or B1G, but if we can stay within the ballpark and UT/OU can get their higher payouts for tier 3, then I think the Big 12 can continue to thrive into the future. If we fall too far away from the B1G/SEC, then I could see OU/UT looking for a way out. It may not be what TCU fans want, but if the uneven tier 3 revenues of the Big 12 keep the Big 12 together and the conference money rolling in for TCU, then that is a good thing.

Last edited:

froginaustin

Surprised TTU makes so little, relatively speaking. They sell a butt load of football tickets (or they have a big stadium anyway). TTU basketball plays in an arena that seats what, 14,500?