• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

Purp

My first job, at 16 years old, was switchboard operator at the local Sears in Connecticut. While at TCU, I had the same job for a while at the Sears at Seminary South.
What was your first job?
I did summer jobs starting at age 16 working in the Mary Kay manufacturing plant. My dad was in IT there so they had a program for kids of employees to work summer jobs and I got rolled up into that. Paid around $10/hr IIRC.

For my first job during the school year I was a trapper at a skeet shooting range in Gladewater, TX around age 17-18. I dated a girl briefly who's parents owned the place. When her mom asked me at dinner if I wanted a job I couldn't say no and expect to retain any respect from them. I had to say yes. Ended up loving it. Worked with a few bumpkins trapping for oil hot shots in the area who wanted to come shoot. I think we were paid $10/hr there too, but the tips is how we really made our money. Guys would cruise in pulling their high speed, NWLA'd out ATVs and pull out a dozen shotguns to use for a 10 station course. It wasn't uncommon for a group of 4 of them to come and tip $50 each. When we weren't trapping we were clearing brush on the other side of the creek setting up a 2nd course.

I grew up playing in the woods every day after school. This job paid me to play in the woods. It was awesome.

Last edited:

GeoFrog

First Job: Plumber/Handyman assistant @ 14
Other Teen Jobs: Baseball/Softball Complex Concessions, Waterslide Lifeguard, Drive/Detail Cars from auctions to dealerships and such.
Really helped me realize what I didn't want to do.

During my Senior year at TCU, there was a point where I was working 3 jobs and taking 16 hours. Library (Work Study), Geologist Tech @ Union Pacific Resources, and carpenter's assistant.

Although my teen jobs never really appealed to me, our sprinkler guy was forced into retirement from United Airlines several years ago. At that time he decided to go back to a simpler time for him from when he worked on sprinklers as a high school summer job. He started his own sprinkler business, and I have never seen someone enjoy his job more. He's grown that thing tremendously also and has several crews now, but he still likes doing a lot of the work himself.

jake102

At that time he decided to go back to a simpler time for him from when he worked on sprinklers as a high school summer job. He started his own sprinkler business, and I have never seen someone enjoy his job more. He's grown that thing tremendously also and has several crews now, but he still likes doing a lot of the work himself.

Over the past five years I've done a lot of work on two homes, some of it myself and a lot of it by hiring contractors. I've learned that you could be very successful in the contractor business if you can communicate, stay organized and have a clue about how long a project is actually going to take. I've yet to find a contractor who can do all three. Plenty of them can generally do the work, but it's everything inbetween (scheduling, communicating issues, billing, timeline) that is a complete nightmare. I would expect someone who is educated and spent years working at a large corporation could be very successful in that line of work, just nobody wants to do it.

Shorty

I worked at Kroger by Mockingbird Station in high school. Good scenery, lots of Lakewood and HP milfs and chicks from SMU.

There was another dude that was a sophomore or junior at Bryan Adams. He was having his first kid and asked if I had any kids yet. I said no and he said "Why not? You grown."

netty2424

Over the past five years I've done a lot of work on two homes, some of it myself and a lot of it by hiring contractors. I've learned that you could be very successful in the contractor business if you can communicate, stay organized and have a clue about how long a project is actually going to take. I've yet to find a contractor who can do all three. Plenty of them can generally do the work, but it's everything inbetween (scheduling, communicating issues, billing, timeline) that is a complete nightmare. I would expect someone who is educated and spent years working at a large corporation could be very successful in that line of work, just nobody wants to do it.
Those that can’t do all three are called handy men in my book. The ones that can, fit the contractor bill.

I’m in a similar situation with work on an old home, have done a lot myself, and also hired a lot out.

We’re about to put in a French drain around the house with a flower bed across the front, and brick cascading stairs off the front porch. Guy that comes highly recommended, stood me up first meeting. I’m usually done with guys like that, but he called late that night after he realized he missed it and said he’d be there the following morning, which was Saturday. Second meeting he was late by 20 minutes. Third meeting he was late by 45 minutes, and said he would have a proposal by the end of the weekend. Month later, never heard a word from the guy. Too many red flags and too much money to chase these guys down for work.

tcudoc

Summer of 89 I ran the Guess your Age/Weight booth next to the Spindletop at Six Flags.
tumblr_okhs99p2P21qmob6ro1_400.gif

TCUBetterThanYou

I worked at Kroger by Mockingbird Station in high school. Good scenery, lots of Lakewood and HP milfs and chicks from SMU.

There was another dude that was a sophomore or junior at Bryan Adams. He was having his first kid and asked if I had any kids yet. I said no and he said "Why not? You grown."
You go to Woodrow or Hillcrest?