• The KillerFrogs

TCU Football Releases 2019 Football Depth Chart

netty2424

Go ahead and remove M Wilson and Blackshear from the depth chart and see how you feel.

My top 5 questions:
1) QB. So much this.
2) DE - can Blackshear stay healthy and can Plant or Workman contribute?
3) LB - when M Wilson goes down, who steps up?
4) WR - looks thin.
5) Can the guys assigned with kicking the football do it?
WR was a bit eye opening to me as well. Outside of Reagor and maybe Barber, there’s little to no real experience, or production to speak of.

The book on this offense this year will be to stop Reagor and let dare anyone else on the roster to beat you.

Sewo? Who knows where he’ll be.

DA? It seems like he’s already starting off in the dog house listed as 3 deep.

LeagueCityFrog

WR was a bit eye opening to me as well. Outside of Reagor and maybe Barber, there’s little to no real experience, or production to speak of.

The book on this offense this year will be to stop Reagor and let dare anyone else on the roster to beat you.

Dylan Thomas is a good receiver. Ask coach Patterson about his game against Ohio State.

Eight

i don't put a great deal of stock in a depth chart in may, but do agree there are questions at receivers.

an effective offensive line can make good backs effective and i think the pieces are there for this to be a good offensive line.

force the defense to play the run and that impacts how much the safeties and linebackers can be involved int the pass game which might have a bigger impact that any other receiver.

4th. down

Regardless of depth chart, I'm hoping Gary runs his signature defense with Art Briles' offense. Keep Coach Cumbie up in the skybox and have Coach Loop, Coach Thomsen, and Coach Kelly on the field keeping all those offensive players cool and locked in. In the last decade, there has not been anything more deadly than Coach P's Peach Bowl defense and Art Briles' offense at its peak.

For those of you not familiar with Art Briles' offense, he had only something like 6 plays. But they ran those six plays to perfection and they ran variations to those just six plays and it worked.

The gist of Briles' offense was that only two skill players had dedicated routes per play that the quarterback progressed through. Art kept everyone cool and collected on offense. The remaining offensive skill players were asked to find the open space as a bailout for the quarterback. If all things fail, the quarterback runs and that is how Baylor killed OU and UT and stayed ahead of the chains.

Gary's defense plus this style offense would end OU, Clemson, and Bama and that's what we are about to do with this TCU roster.

Go Frogs!

I like your enthusiasm League.

As much as a lot of us want to, I will believe an offensive scheme change when I see it and not before. In fact it would not surprise me to see whatever QB starts against Ark-Pine Bluff, throw a bubble screen off to the right side on the very first offensive set.

Sure, we all know as League laid it out, a Briles offense and a GP defense plus our new field flipper for punting and we could make a run. Our first offensive play may very well tell us the offensive direction for the season. Cumbie, you need to do it now, next year you lose mucho players with 8 possible draft picks.

Purp

The gist of Briles' offense was that only bad dudes with criminal records were on the roster. Art kept everyone eligible in spite of pending legal matters. The remaining offensive skill players were asked to keep their mouths shut or risk their lives. If all things fail, the DA bails and that is how Baylor killed OU and UT and stayed ahead of the chains.
FIFY

netty2424

Dylan Thomas is a good receiver. Ask coach Patterson about his game against Ohio State.
Great play against tOSU! He’ll always have that as a memory and something to look back and talk about.

If I gave you a number of 15. Would you say that is greater or less than his total career receptions in 3 years of college football?

Wexahu

Regardless of depth chart, I'm hoping Gary runs his signature defense with Art Briles' offense. Keep Coach Cumbie up in the skybox and have Coach Loop, Coach Thomsen, and Coach Kelly on the field keeping all those offensive players cool and locked in. In the last decade, there has not been anything more deadly than Coach P's Peach Bowl defense and Art Briles' offense at its peak.

For those of you not familiar with Art Briles' offense, he had only something like 6 plays. But they ran those six plays to perfection and they ran variations to those just six plays and it worked.

The gist of Briles' offense was that only two skill players had dedicated routes per play that the quarterback progressed through. Art kept everyone cool and collected on offense. The remaining offensive skill players were asked to find the open space as a bailout for the quarterback. If all things fail, the quarterback runs and that is how Baylor killed OU and UT and stayed ahead of the chains.

Gary's defense plus this style offense would end OU, Clemson, and Bama and that's what we are about to do with this TCU roster.

Go Frogs!

I don't think a combination of Briles' offense and a shutdown defense on one team is even possible. So a defense that practices against an offense that only runs six plays is going to be prepared to stop really good offenses that actually run multiple routes out of multiple formations? Yeah, in fantasy football I suppose. Briles completely sold out his defense. For all the grief Phil Bennett got (and some of it deserved because he's pretty much a POS in my opinion) his defenses never had a chance to really be good. When you have receivers there finish their career without really even knowing how to run a pretty basic pass route, you also have defensive backs who never really learn how to cover a receiver who runs any route other than a go, a slant, and a WR screen. Apply that same reasoning to other facets of that offense. It was lethal against overmatched teams, not so much against everyone else, at least relative to his defense's performance. The mistake is thinking a coach that wins 56-42 is somehow better than one that wins 30-14.

TRF51

I don't think a combination of Briles' offense and a shutdown defense on one team is even possible. So a defense that practices against an offense that only runs six plays is going to be prepared to stop really good offenses that actually run multiple routes out of multiple formations? Yeah, in fantasy football I suppose. Briles completely sold out his defense. For all the grief Phil Bennett got (and some of it deserved because he's pretty much a POS in my opinion) his defenses never had a chance to really be good. When you have receivers there finish their career without really even knowing how to run a pretty basic pass route, you also have defensive backs who never really learn how to cover a receiver who runs any route other than a go, a slant, and a WR screen. Apply that same reasoning to other facets of that offense. It was lethal against overmatched teams, not so much against everyone else, at least relative to his defense's performance. The mistake is thinking a coach that wins 56-42 is somehow better than one that wins 30-14.

During the week the scout team runs the other teams plays. I agree that if the offense goes to fast the defense will get gassed but that will only happen when we are playing another offense that runs a similar system. I think the Briles offense has a lot of positives but as you stated there are some negatives. I would be happy if we went back to the 2014 offense. We don’t play in the big 10, we need to score points. Either way we just want to win.

Froggish

100% agree..There are reasons that the Briles offense isn’t really being duplicated outside of a few Briles former assistants..It isn’t like its complicated..As you pointed out, it’s an offense that is as successful at destroying its own defense as it is the other teams..

LeagueCityFrog

Briles' offense, at its peak, won a Heismen, Biletnikoff, and almost another Heisman with Petty and was #1 in the US in total offense and it beat OU more than once.

Copy and paste plus Gary's signature defense and we win a bunch of games.

Eight

Briles' offense, at its peak, won a Heismen, Biletnikoff, and almost another Heisman with Petty and was #1 in the US in total offense and it beat OU more than once.

Copy and paste plus Gary's signature defense and we win a bunch of games.

not going to happen because you are not going to see a hunh offense that doesn't look to control the ball with gary as the head coach.

LeagueCityFrog

Here is a reminder of what it took for TCU to beat OU the only time we did as a Big XII member. OU could have won the game on their last possession but the receiver was way out of bounds in the endzone when he caught it.

Last edited:

jake102

I don't want the Briles offense, but I would appreciate some of its cornerstones.

1) Consistently strong OL
2) Balance between running and throwing
3) Going vertical in the passing game

LeagueCityFrog

Here is the Briles style offense is at its height. He beats OU 48-14 in this game in Norman. His offense was literally 'keep it simple stupid' and use those Texas kids to out athlete and out speed the other teams' kids. His problem was that he had Phil Bennett as his defensive coordinator. His offense was always forward leaning, ahead of the chains style. I'm not a Briles supporter by any means, but he found a way to trash OU in football more than once and that's what TCU is up against.

netty2424

You play football growing up?

Weekly game plan isn’t just offensive based. Defense gets look at upcoming schemes just the same. It’s not just film study.