• The KillerFrogs

DMN: 'It was ultimately my choice': Jamie Dixon sets the record straight on UCLA offer

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
'It was ultimately my choice': Jamie Dixon sets the record straight on UCLA offer, his commitment to TCU

By Chuck Carlton , Staff Writer
Contact Chuck Carlton on Twitter: @ChuckCarltonDMN

IRVING - Yes, Jamie Dixon acknowledged that he had the chance to be UCLA's basketball coach last month.

He's still at TCU and says he's committed to his alma mater.

"It was ultimately my choice, and I decided to stay at TCU," Dixon said on the second day of Big 12 spring meetings. "And that ... speaks volumes about TCU and my commitment to TCU."

Read more at https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/co...ets-record-straight-ucla-offer-commitment-tcu

tcumaniac

This story is VERY different than the “inside story” from UCLA’s 247 writer who basically said Jamie was dying to go to UCLA but couldn’t bc TCU held him against his will by refusing to budge on the buyout.

netty2424

Not saying I fully believe the UCLA homers... but don’t think I really believe this story either.

Probably somewhere in between.
Truth is definitely somewhere in the middle. Always is in these types of scenarios.

Personally I feel like both sides lost a little credibility in the end.

And wasn’t there another coach behind Dixon talking to UCLA who’s buyout wasn’t being paid? Am I misremembering that? Rick Barnes maybe??

Hell Sent Frog

Not saying I fully believe the UCLA homers... but don’t think I really believe this story either.

Probably somewhere in between.

Dixon never said that TCU agreed to budge on the buyout.

Jaime said that UCLA had the buyout covered in their offer to him. I don't know why UCLA doesn't want to admit this, maybe they can't.
I tend to believe Dixon.
UCLA knew about the buyout all along and why would they come calling if they weren't going to help him with it.

I believe Dixon wanted to go to UCLA if the offer was high enough, but it wasn't.
Jaime was looking for blue blood program type money to justify leaving his job with his alma mater.

UCLA was misleading absolutely everyone out there by putting out false signals that they were willing to pay the same money the blue bloods were paying their head coaches. Many UCLA followers have admitted to this happening.

Last edited:

TCUdirtbag

There is a difference in covering the buyout and covering the buyout plus the tax consequences resulting from it.

The buy out would have had to be reported as income for Dixon. Income tax to the IRS and California Department of revenue on $9 million is several million more

That was certainly one factor among many for Jamie

Salfrog

Tier 1
Not agreeing or disagreeing with JD, but what else is he suppose to say at this point? If he comes out and says he wanted the job, but the buyout was the stumbling block, then it may sound as if he was forced to stay & sound a bit disgruntled. This way he makes it sound that this is what he & his family wanted all along, and quiets some of the rumors that will be put out there on the recruiting trail.