• The KillerFrogs

OT - best steakhouse in FW?

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
League City Frog is correct: Killen's Steakhouse is magnificent. I have not dined at STQ yet, so I cannot deliver an opinion there. The BBQ joint is open for dinner and serves a mighty fine steak cooked on a custom-made wood-fired grill.

It heartens me a little to see Hoffbrau listed by some as a good spot. Last couple of times I dined there the meat was downright bad: stringy, overcooked, and thin. Hopefully they have righted the ship. I always loved that place...

A good steak joint is the product of good meat selection, and a GM that keeps their meat vendor honest. A bonehead chef can ruin a good piece of meat, but even the best chef cannot make a lousy piece of gristle a good steak. Ronnie Killen gets a good portion of his meats through Allen Bros. and this is reflected in the quality of his finished product. He is also purchasing some meats directly from some of the larger ranching operations that have begun their own slaughter and processing operations. He thus has consistently fabulous meats that make the finished products simply outstanding.

One of the funny things is that (if memory serves) 44 Farms contracts for all of the Saint Arnold Brewery's spent grains as prime cattle fodder. Killen's buys the meats produced by 44 Farms. A cold Saint Arnold pairs quite well with a pre-seasoned steak!

Chongo94

@Chongo94 Do you have a story too?

Sadly, I do not. But I wouldn’t mind seeing the French news anchor, Melissa Theuriau, in that outfit.

miss-melissa-theuriau.jpg

nJcOPpegyGgAuzIO4_2wi_FWio1_ZuKqdquBpVMERrTqMzN7j1CgJJ1BXuXEKvvM0M98MH7Oj-fGk9_uFWOyLXNL3WLyRQ3o1q5bEagtIkz_0PJz

20f57fcedf8920a6bf9c077efbc2aa8d.jpg

Chongo94

Benbrook is an interesting place. Can’t tell if I’d want to live there or not

What I like about it is I’m out of the city in 5 minutes nor am I surrounded like one is in the mid-cities. I like to be able to hit the highways and get out of town quick.

East Coast

Tier 1
I always look for the good independent steak houses; there are quite of few in New York City and I know of 2 in NJ. One's specialty is lower end cuts that they somehow grill up delicious. Nothing wrong with chains, but really?

In the US, I’d go with NYC, Vegas and San Fran/Napa/Yountville. DC is also good if you include northern virginia. My family in Oregon swear by Portland (and to a lesser extent, Seattle), both of which I’ll be checking out later this year. My personal favorites are Santa Fe and New Orleans, though both are slipping, and kinda fast.

Now cue TCUownstheBig12 to discuss Chicago.
As someone who lives in the DC/NOVA area, I have to disagree with your ranking, at least in terms of steaks. I have yet to have a steak here that is better than one I can cook on my own grill. In Texas, there are at least 7-8 steak houses that can, and likely many more.

Frog-in-law1995

As someone who lives in the DC/NOVA area, I have to disagree with your ranking, at least in terms of steaks. I have yet to have a steak here that is better than one I can cook on my own grill. In Texas, there are at least 7-8 steak houses that can, and likely many more.

Oh, I wasn’t talking about steaks at all.

Frog-in-law1995

But speaking of that, when was the last time you went to Tony & Joe’s on the river in Georgetown? In a past life when I basically lived out of the Crystal City Marriott, that was my go-to place for surf & turf. Not great steaks, but not bad. Haven’t been there in probably 15 years now, though.

Double V

At what temp? Do you cover the pit while cooking? How close are the coals to the steak? All mistakes I seem to make.

Hotter than hell, no, and doesnt matter

I am with for an affordable steak. I also like Texas Roadhouse for an affordable steak, the one pick at the meat counter for them to cook.

But, I don’t eat steak out that much because I grill prime cuts at home over hardwood at a fraction of the cost that will stand up to most high end steakhouses. When I typically eat at a steakhouse, it is because I am being treated by a friend or business function.
This x a million