• The KillerFrogs

OT - best steakhouse in FW?

Dogfrog

Del Frisco and Eddie V’s. One item I’d love to see here is a good mutton chop. I would likely only do it occasionally but would jump on it if available.

BABYFACE

Capital Grille is owned by the same company that owns Olive Garden. That has to be a red flag. They also own Eddie V’s.
I like Eddie V’s.

Actually it is not unusual to have the same company own casual dining chains mixed with upper - luxury concepts.

4 Oaks Frog

Is Bonanza still open? No? How about Steak and Ale? No? The Carriage House was wonderful back in the day. Now, on the higher end, I would go with Del Frisco’s. For a lower price good steak, I like Saltgrass...
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~<and [Baylor asshoe]!!

LeagueCityFrog

Added bonus to this original ask....best steakhouse in Texas right now is either Killen's in Pearland south of H-Town or Killen's STQ over off of Voss Street by the Houston Galleria. Head chef was the runner up to be the chef at the White House under George W and went to the same culinary school in England as Julia Child and Martha Stewart and was something like one of five students there ever to score a perfect score on how to cook all types if food. He also cooked the James A Beard annual Christmas dinner as the invited chef.

I've been coast to coast and fortunately around the globe. I would put the food in Houston up against any city. Solid across the board.

https://www.killenssteakhouse.com/

Dogfrog

Added bonus to this original ask....best steakhouse in Texas right now is either Killen's in Pearland south of H-Town or Killen's STQ over off of Voss Street by the Houston Galleria. Head chef was the runner up to be the chef at the White House under George W and went to the same culinary school in England as Julia Child and Martha Stewart and was something like one of five students there ever to score a perfect score on how to cook all types if food. He also cooked the James A Beard annual Christmas dinner as the invited chef.

I've been coast to coast and fortunately around the globe. I would put the food in Houston up against any city. Solid across the board.

https://www.killenssteakhouse.com/

Houston is a solid 4th or 5th in US, IMO, which is very good. Best thing about Houston restaurants is the very large variety of international cuisine.

FrogAbroad

Del Frisco and Eddie V’s. One item I’d love to see here is a good mutton chop.

holy-mother-of-gaul.jpg

tcumaniac

At the upper price point, I'd say Del Frisco's because I've been many times and feel like I can count on having a great steak and great service. Bob's, Mercury and Ruth's Chris are all good and if someone wanted to go there instead of Del Frisco's, I'd be fine with it. Silver Fox seems inconsistent. It's been very good and just meh. I don't get Capital Grille. It was ok but I expect better than just ok for what it claims to be. Maybe I should try it again because a lot of people really seem to like it.

Cattlemen's is pretty good for the price point if you like old school. Hoffbrau would be my favorite of the moderate priced places. Have never had a bad meal there.
I’ve concluded that the majority of people are just purely ignorant when it comes to knowing the difference between a good steak and an average one.

Capital Grille excels at creating an upscale atmosphere, providing decent service, and making its customers feel as if they’re experiencing an upscale dining experience. Their appetizers, sides, drinks and deserts are on par with other upscale dining establishments. Accomplish all of this and you’ve already convinced the majority of your customers that you’re a phenomenal restaurant.

The unfortunate reality is that their steaks simply aren’t very good. And I’ve eaten there more than a handful of times, always desperately hoping that every previous experience was a fluke, and that they’ll finally live up to the hype. Never. Every time the steak has been insultingly bad.

Don’t get me wrong, everything else about the experience was good. But their steaks are complete garbage. Filets have always been flavorless and poorly cooked. Ribeye (I’ve ordered twice) was tough, chewy, and lacking of flavor. The “dry aged” strip, which I’ve ordered numerous times has always been bleh. And I love a good dry aged steak. I love the richer, beefier flavor, and the more tender and buttery texture of a well dry aged steak. I’m convinced Capital doesn’t actually dry age. Haven’t tasted even a hint of the distinguishing characteristics of a dry aged steak any time I’ve ordered it at Capital. Just so bland and boring every time. They also coincidentally are big proponents of adding one of their sauces to your steak. Makes sense why.

Anyway. It really pisses me off that Capital is the #1 ranked steakhouse on trip advisor for Fort Worth. Complete scam. If you actually care about the quality of your steak, strongly advise avoiding.

tcumaniac

Also. FWIW, I’ve had some absolutely phenomenal experiences at B&B since it opened, but also some meh ones.

I’ve also had a meh or two experience at Dels, but I’ve been there the most of any steakhouse in FW and it’s the most consistently great.

tcumaniac

And since I’ve gone on a steakhouse rant, I figured I’d share my favorite steakhouse experience I’ve ever had:

Hall’s Chophouse in Charleston, SC. All around incredible experience, but the steak was simply on another level.

Will be back Charleston next month for a wedding and can’t wait to go back.

Pharm Frog

Anyone been to that steakhouse in Buffalo Gap? Supposedly it is wonderful. Perrini’s I think?

Perini Ranch. Many many many times and almost always on the corporate dime (but not in the last 15 years or so). It was very good but not in the same elite league with some of the steak houses mentioned on here. I think that some of the allure is in the location and ambience. Same with the old Lowake Steakhouse.

WhatTheFrog

Perini Ranch. Many many many times and almost always on the corporate dime (but not in the last 15 years or so). It was very good but not in the same elite league with some of the steak houses mentioned on here. I think that some of the allure is in the location and ambience. Same with the old Lowake Steakhouse.
I was gonna say the same. It's good for it's price point. The best part of the meal is the drive into town, especially if in a sports car or on a motorcycle.