• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

MTfrog5

There are duty hour restrictions now for interns and residents. They are not supposed to do more than 80 hours a week or the training program's accreditation can be at risk. Many trainees lie about it to stay in compliance and many (especially surgical specialties) work over 100 hours. This was based on a New York case (Libby Zion) where an overworked resident was blamed for a math error that led to a large dosing error of medication on a pediatric patient. The fatigue was likely unrelated to the medical error, but it shined a light on the work hour issue for residents (That is why it is called a residency-because you were there more than your home). So, duty hours restrictions were enacted about 15 years ago. It is a double-edged sword, because now you get residents who graduate with 30-40% less experience based simply on the number of hours they worked. So they are entering practice with fewer hours of experience, having not seen as much pathology as their predecessors did. In addition, there are no duty hours restrictions on physicians in practice, so in some settings, a newly minted physician fresh out of residency is thrown into a practice where they do 26 or 48 hour shifts and they have never had that experience or developed the stamina to withstand it. It can be a real eye opener for a new physician in some cases. The longest shift I did was 72 hours straight in an ICU as a resident. I had to cover for someone who needed off, so I was on in house call for 3 days straight. I routinely covered a VA emergency room for 48 hours in a row on weekends to get extra moonlighting money. Although I was required to be in house for the entire 48 hours, it was typically only working for about half of those hours. These usually occurred following my 12 hours shift on Friday at my daytime job, so it was really 60 hours straight. I don't do those types of hours any longer, thankfully, but there are still some who do.
So, the answer to your question is, physicians typically prefer to get all of their work done and over a weekend or a week at a time so that they are not constantly on call. For instance, a surgeon may take a week of call and it could be a light week and they don't work many nights. However, they could also have a bad week and work 3 or 4 nights in a row doing big surgeries into the night in addition to their normal daytime clinic and OR schedules. Thankfully, these bad weekends or weeks are not that common in most practices. But if your group is small, there are not many people to share call with, so some get stuck if partners are on vacation etc. For example, if you have a group of three persons, most doctors would prefer to work an entire weekend versus a portion of every weekend. That way, you have two completely free weekends out of three. You may get killed on your weekend, but maybe you don't? It is a gamble.
Larger groups tend to split it up so that their call is not so burdensome. Many ER shifts are 12-24 hours in duration. I am not ER, but in my department, we do 12-16 hour shifts. Some of the surgeons do longer, but they typically get breaks in between the demand for OR cases, so they just have to stay available. We cover enough services such that our shifts are typically non stop activity, and we are required to be in-house whereas the others have the freedom to go home or leave the hospital if they are not busy.
I read all of this still waiting for a joke to be thrown in

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Back in my paramedic days, we worked 24 hour shifts, on a three day rotation. We also had mandatory overtime. So, it was a regular practice to work your 24, then an overtime 24, have a day off, and then work your next 24. At some stations, that wasn't too bad, but if you got into the east Austin knife and gun club on a weekend, it could kick your ass. It gave me a lot of perspective when it came to taking call later on in life.

Firemen worked the same schedule, so most of them had side jobs for their 48 hours off. Some complained about having to work 24 hours in a day, so the city obliged by moving their start/stop time to noon. So they worked 12 hours from noon to midnight and another 12 hours from midnight to noon...then 48 hours off. It really screwed up their part time jobs, and there was a heck of a pushback from the firemen. Guess you have to be careful what you wish for.

talor

Frog-in-law1995

Y’all see this story about the alleged serial killer in Dallas? 12 linked victims so far and investigating 750(!) more. Potentially 10x the number of victims of the most prolific serial killer in US history.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
clap.gif

tcudoc

51P-4HYJ8UL.jpg

The chaotic confines of the hospital kept Creed occupied, even as he felt something change within. The embattled physician's dreams were more frequent, and oddities were becoming the norm in an otherwise pedestrian existence. Following a tumultuous turn of events, Creed awakens in another world, one in which he slowly remembers to be his home as the past and present collide. Mürindür has been waiting, and within moments of arriving, he is rescued by his hobgoblin friend, Ojin, as they embark on a perilous journey to protect Creed's bride and their unborn son, a child of prophecy and purpose. Through the help of his long-lost Luxatio friends, Creed discovers his destiny on the path to restoring order and balance as the Child of Mürindür's time draws nigh. "This book has all the makings of an epic fantasy series... Colvin is a master writer who knows how to paint a vivid portrait of the book’s setting as well as how to create captivating characters. I liked the many battle scenes, and I couldn’t help but think of The Lord of the Rings series, as these scenes were just as striking and noteworthy as those written by Tolkien." 4/4 Stars- OnlineBookClub.org

I can't recall if I have mentioned this here before. A good friend of mine is an emergency medicine physician and is a writer as a hobby. He has been crafting a story for many years and finally started to get really serious about writing a book a few years back. He recently self-published his first novel which is the first in a planned trilogy. I finally finished it last week. It is really well written and is in the fantasy genre, which is not typically my preferred genre. But it mixes the real world with the fantasy world in a unique way. It has an undertone of helping those who suffer from mental illness, depression, feelings of helplessness, and suicide. The main character is a physician in the real world.
Anyway, since he self-published, it is tough to get marketing for the book. I have provided edits for him and he has promised that I can be a beta reader for the next one to offer feedback and edits. I am excited for the possibility because I think his story is imaginative and well written. I just wanted to post this here in case anyone had any interest in that genre and was looking for a good book to read. It is only a few bucks on Kindle, or whatever that is the young people use. I prefer the physical copy.
So check it out!

Last edited:

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
51P-4HYJ8UL.jpg

The chaotic confines of the hospital kept Creed occupied, even as he felt something change within. The embattled physician's dreams were more frequent, and oddities were becoming the norm in an otherwise pedestrian existence. Following a tumultuous turn of events, Creed awakens in another world, one in which he slowly remembers to be his home as the past and present collide. Mürindür has been waiting, and within moments of arriving, he is rescued by his hobgoblin friend, Ojin, as they embark on a perilous journey to protect Creed's bride and their unborn son, a child of prophecy and purpose. Through the help of his long-lost Luxatio friends, Creed discovers his destiny on the path to restoring order and balance as the Child of Mürindür's time draws nigh. "This book has all the makings of an epic fantasy series... Colvin is a master writer who knows how to paint a vivid portrait of the book’s setting as well as how to create captivating characters. I liked the many battle scenes, and I couldn’t help but think of The Lord of the Rings series, as these scenes were just as striking and noteworthy as those written by Tolkien." 4/4 Stars- OnlineBookClub.org

I can't recall if I have mentioned this here before. A good friend of mine is an emergency medicine physician and is a writer as a hobby. He has been crafting a story for many years and finally started to get really serious about writing a book a few years back. he recently self-published his first novel which is the first in a planned trilogy. I finally finished it last week. It is really well written and is in the fantasy genre, which is not typically my preferred genre. But it mixes the real world with the fantasy world in a unique way. It has an undertone of helping those who suffer from mental illness, depression, feelings of helplessness, and suicide. The main character is a physician in the real world.
Anyway, since he self-published, it is tough to get marketing for the book. I have provided edits for him and he has promised that I can be a beta reader for the next one to offer feedback and edits. I am excited for the possibility because I think his story is imaginative and well written. I just wanted to post this here in case anyone had any interest in that genre and was looking for a good book to read. It is only a few bucks on Kindle, or whatever the at is the young people use. I prefer the physical copy.
So check it out!
That sounds like a really interesting angle... and a movie I would rather see than Avengers 19 or the 5th post-1990 remake of a classic 1960s film.