• The KillerFrogs

Sewo arrested, controlled substance

talor

The new law for CBD oil just passed the Texas Senate last night. Headed to governor’s desk I believe.
A bill legalizing oil with less than .3% thc concentration is sitting on the governor’s desk right now.

Except "wheels" is a piece of [ Finebaum ] and about as progressive and forward thinking as a caveman or dodo bird. It would not surprise me in the least if the bill died a quick death because of him.

mgsouthpaw

the wonderful war on drugs now has yet another glorious chapter - how immoral and unchristian to throw people in jail because they are putting something unhealthy in their own body! insane. our generation will be looked at and mocked because we are into jailing people for individual choices they make with regard to what they ingest. crazy crazy crazy. lets now jail alcoholics who drink at home every night too! handcuffs for the win!

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
This thread has been all over the place so I’ll chime in. I completely agree that there is institutional racism. I agree that certain cultures may never “catch up” in society because of the lack of rights for generations (voting, land ownership, etc) that were enforced because of whites. Why can’t people also agree that certain cultures are more likely to commit crimes? I know that people will fire back immediately with it is because of targeting by the police. Here in Fort Worth, the likelihood of someone living in Mira Vista committing a crime is so much lower than someone living in a poor neighborhood (whatever color they are).

Yes, I am a white male.

Your last statement makes any and all of your all opinions invalid

Frog-in-law1995

our generation will be looked at and mocked because we are into jailing people for individual choices they make. crazy crazy crazy.

Futurama-Fry.jpg

Billy Clyde

Cite your documentation.

Observational based on personal first hand experience with literally thousands of cases over the last 20 years. The kind of experiences that researchers seek out when they want to create, "documentation."
As a small sample, since you *say* you want documentation, there is one particular offense, a Class C Misdemeanor, which is on its face race-neutral. During a recent two-year period in a large (top-5) Texas city, of which black residents comprised 18% of the population, 66% of the citations written for that offense were issued to black citizens of the city. Of the remaining 34% of the citations written, over half went to other minorities.
I've known hundreds of police officers in my career. Most of them are great people. Most of them also have blind spots, like most of the rest of us do.
You can keep on believing that if you aren't doing anything wrong you'll have no trouble with the police regardless of your skin. Or, you can face the realities of the world we live in. Is it really so hard to believe that racial disparity is a thing, when it's only been a handful of years since racial profiling was generally recognized as a "legitimate" police tactic?

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Observational based on personal first hand experience with literally thousands of cases over the last 20 years. The kind of experiences that researchers seek out when they want to create, "documentation."
As a small sample, since you *say* you want documentation, there is one particular offense, a Class C Misdemeanor, which is on its face race-neutral. During a recent two-year period in a large (top-5) Texas city, of which black residents comprised 18% of the population, 66% of the citations written for that offense were issued to black citizens of the city. Of the remaining 34% of the citations written, over half went to other minorities.
I've known hundreds of police officers in my career. Most of them are great people. Most of them also have blind spots, like most of the rest of us do.
You can keep on believing that if you aren't doing anything wrong you'll have no trouble with the police regardless of your skin. Or, you can face the realities of the world we live in. Is it really so hard to believe that racial disparity is a thing, when it's only been a handful of years since racial profiling was generally recognized as a "legitimate" police tactic?

Your percentages mean nothing unless those figures are proven to be false allegations. Were they? Otherwise it just highlights who is committing the crimes.

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
...Why can’t people also agree that certain cultures are more likely to commit crimes? I know that people will fire back immediately with it is because of targeting by the police. Here in Fort Worth, the likelihood of someone living in Mira Vista committing a crime is so much lower than someone living in a poor neighborhood (whatever color they are).

Yes, I am a white male.
I am making the assumption you are asking a serious question. So I approach this seriously.

The notion that some cultures commit crimes more often is not well quantified, and the difficulty in quantifying it is separating criminal activity rates from the enforcement context. For example, if one demographic is encountered or detained by police more often, it will increase the pure numbers of crimes discovered. Then depending on how that encounter ratio lines up with the population ratio, it can really skew data.

There is also systemic bias in what is considered a crime and how such things are discovered. If I were an officer, I could unknowingly pull over a criminal in many ways. Only some of them will end up with me arresting someone. After all, I can search and find weed but how often would I search and find evidence of fincancial crimes, or previous DWIs they got away with, or assault-on-family behavior? And if something like weed is decriminalized, then that changes things too.

TL;DR = the idea some cultures commit more crimes is probably a data myth and is also affected by what nontraditional behavior is considered a crime.

hometown frog

I’d you want a prime example if inherent system bias please see the national reaction to the crack cocaine epidemic in the 80s/90s with the recent heroin epidemic this decade. One was met w a criminal reaction and the other was met w a support system based reaction. Which one of those hit affluent society more and which one hit lower income society more?

That is the poster child of inherent bias in the system.
{/tangent}

jake102

I am making the assumption you are asking a serious question. So I approach this seriously.

The notion that some cultures commit crimes more often is not well quantified, and the difficulty in quantifying it is separating criminal activity rates from the enforcement context. For example, if one demographic is encountered or detained by police more often, it will increase the pure numbers of crimes discovered. Then depending on how that encounter ratio lines up with the population ratio, it can really skew data.

There is also systemic bias in what is considered a crime and how such things are discovered. If I were an officer, I could unknowingly pull over a criminal in many ways. Only some of them will end up with me arresting someone. After all, I can search and find weed but how often would I search and find evidence of fincancial crimes, or previous DWIs they got away with, or assault-on-family behavior? And if something like weed is decriminalized, then that changes things too.

TL;DR = the idea some cultures commit more crimes is probably a data myth and is also affected by what nontraditional behavior is considered a crime.

You missed the entire point of his post I believe

Well not entire, but I think the idea is that income is much more directly related to crime than anything else.

Frog DJ

It’s amazing how many people get that story wrong.
Being a life-long Southern Baptist I have several Baylor friends who insisted this false narrative was indeed the truth.

It got so bad at one point I kept a copy of the news account of Casey's arrest on my phone, so I could use it immediately.

When some of these ill-informed BU supporters would refuse to hear the facts I'd just bring up the article and show it to them.

Most would back down, but I even had one guy claim that he'd seen a newspaper story that confirmed pot was involved.

Some people just don't want to admit the truth - especially if it doesn't fit their viewpoint.

Go Frogs!

smufrogger

Maybe, maybe not. Although I will say that I am NOT the type who goes around trying to make any type of political or societal "points" based on my own personal experiences. I don't attempt to project what happens to me onto anyone else and don't want anyone projecting their own experiences or experiences of others onto me just because of my skin color, gender, religious beliefs, hometown, etc. I don't care much for political type discussions.

I just think that "guess my race" is a fun game!
Sounds like me in my college days- only I got all
Kinda of frivolous tickets- excessive noise - I had straight through mufflers... excessive acceleration...note- not speeding- I stayed within speed limit. ....license plate not securely fastened to vehicle ( my car didn’t have a front license plate holder so it writes up the front plate to my grill...
Since then I’ve had numerous debates with my friends who tell me they’ve been pulled over for “driving while black” but not one of them have anywhere close to the stops I dealt with.
In short- perceptions create realities. Some cops discriminate for lots of reasons but if you do get pulled over it’s certainly not always based upon skin color. If I was black though, no doubt I would be certain that’s why I was constantly pulled over!