• The KillerFrogs

FWST: How an assistant basketball coach turned TCU’s golf program into a powerhouse

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
How an assistant basketball coach turned TCU’s golf program into a powerhouse

By Drew Davison

Bill Montigel had never played golf when he arrived on TCU’s campus in 1979.

He came to Fort Worth as a men’s basketball assistant coach under Jim Killingsworth, and spent eight years in the role. He recruited, among others, Jamie Dixon in his time on the staff.

But when Killingsworth retired, Montigel had a career change and became TCU’s golf coach for the 1987-88 season. In Year 3, he had the Frogs in the NCAA Regional. That has now rung true for 30 straight years.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article230226614.html#storylink=cpy

Limp Lizard

What are our golf practice facilities like? The facilities for the other sports are anywhere from very good to amazing.

When Coach Cross left for Troy, I went to the Troy site to check it out, and came across their golf facilities. Outdoors, of course we have Colonial Country Club, which is better than 99% of the other schools' home courses. Plus a plethora of other excellent local country club courses.
But indoors...here is the description of the Troy facilities. For a small school I was impressed by their clubhouse. Should I have been?
Troy Golf Practice Facility
The Troy golf facility features a new 35-acre multi-use practice course and state-of-the-art clubhouse for both the men's and women's programs.

The 4,400-square foot Troy Golf Clubhouse features men's and women's locker rooms, coaches' locker room, three coach offices, team lounge, two indoor hitting bays, large indoor bay for full shots and putting.

The hitting bays feature FlightScope technology for swing analysis, Sam PuttLab for putting analysis and BodiTrak Monitor to measure a player's weight at address and during the swing.

The practice facility features six mini verde greens that can be played from multiple tees, in addition to three practice tees – two for short game and one for longer shots.

flyfishingfrog

What are our golf practice facilities like? The facilities for the other sports are anywhere from very good to amazing.

When Coach Cross left for Troy, I went to the Troy site to check it out, and came across their golf facilities. Outdoors, of course we have Colonial Country Club, which is better than 99% of the other schools' home courses. Plus a plethora of other excellent local country club courses.
But indoors...here is the description of the Troy facilities. For a small school I was impressed by their clubhouse. Should I have been?
it is definitely one of the things we are lacking.

The reality is - as you say - most of the schools that have their own course have a course that is far inferior to Colonial in design and shot making. Plus the access to other clubs in FtW help our players have a better perspective on the different types of approaches and shots required to score vs playing the same course everyday.

I know a couple of guys involved with the UT golf program and they are a little concerned their team has gotten a bit weaker in execution because they spend so much time on the UT Golf Club and the Russell design doesn't offer the diversity of shots and strategies their players learned when they spent more time at Austin CC, Austin Golf Club, etc.

But those schools have dedicated facilities in addition to the actual course that we don't have.

I have been hoping that TCU might buy the old Nike Oven since it has several practice greens for putting and chipping, hitting bays including a true outdoor range and a ton of technology and practice bays for swing analysis.

And Nike doesn't really have a use for it anymore...

If we could do that and then strengthen our relationship with Colonial - I think we could improve on the foundation that Montigel has built over the last 30 years.

MTfrog5

I've heard from multiple people that are no where close to being college level golfers that the UT club is one of the easier "nice/hard" courses they've played. So it makes sense that some think the team is a little weaker.

flyfishingfrog

I've heard from multiple people that are no where close to being college level golfers that the UT club is one of the easier "nice/hard" courses they've played. So it makes sense that some think the team is a little weaker.
the practice facilities there are pretty great and UT has a dedicated area - which is really nice.

I think that is the main thing we are missing.

When you look at the recent trend of some schools giving up their dedicated on campus courses but trading up for improved practice facilities off campus - I think it gives TCU a roadmap of how to leapfrog to the top tier.

For example - ASU signed a deal with City of Phoenix to trade in their on campus course for rights to managing the muni near campus and building a great new practice facility for the team.

We could do that with the Oven and then the guys could continue on course practice at Colonial, Mira, Ridglea, Shady after the finish their renovation (assuming they live through it) and even the "new" Rockwood . The private clubs in Ft Worth offer a pretty solid diversity of designs given that they are all within 5 miles of each other.

SnoSki

I’ve spent a little bit of time inside the dedicated Aggie golf team facility and it’s pretty incredible. Large locker room for men and women’s teams; big indoor putting green with great lighting; the ability to video putting motion, various types of putters around; indoor hitting bay with video and trackman; private kitchen loaded with snacks, drinks and precooked meals of various kinds; private study hall and team meeting rooms, leather furniture everywhere...

A large outdoor space about the size of a large driving that has various types of greens and hazards that allow you to practice literally any type of approach shot from about 250 yards or less. And obviously a huge putting and chipping area outside. Their driving range is the back end of the Traditions course in CS.

At the very least, having the indoor facilities on campus that a&m has would help our team immensely. Build it in that unused field next to the track stadium. It would easily fit.

Pharm Frog

Would be cool to see if the Neeley School would go for one of the PGA Golf Management programs. I worked with the curriculum for one of those programs and it was awesome. Doubt it would help recruit much but it did give that school a leg up on establishing relationships with some of the premier golf venues around.

JogginFrog

it is definitely one of the things we are lacking.
I have been hoping that TCU might buy the old Nike Oven since it has several practice greens for putting and chipping, hitting bays including a true outdoor range and a ton of technology and practice bays for swing analysis.

And Nike doesn't really have a use for it anymore...

If we could do that and then strengthen our relationship with Colonial - I think we could improve on the foundation that Montigel has built over the last 30 years.

That would be great. For those wondering about the Nike Oven, the Nike website has a page dedicated to it which is mostly history of Nike golf equipment development. But you get a better feel for the facility itself from pics on its now-inactive Facebook page. Wonder how much it has deteriorated since 2016.

If I were a student, having a dedicated indoor facility on campus would be big, even if it was just a short-game facility plus a few bays and swing analyzers. But purchasing something like the Oven would probably be the better investment.

Limp Lizard

Be nice to have a few Trackman (or equivalent)bays. Instant feedback on many parameters. Plus several outdoor monitors for the range. That would have to help. Plus a short game facility and putting green. No need to go off campus. That is especially important when you have an urban campus like TCU. Going out to the far west just to practice would be a grind, IMO.

froggolf65

Having your own facility is more about getting top recruits than it is about player development. It is the same way for football... you have to have the wow factor for visits and getting kids to campus. FW country clubs are nice but nothing above average compared to other top programs.
Montigel has done well with the hand he has been dealt. It would take a serious investment from the athletic department but probably not something that is a huge priority.

flyfishingfrog

Be nice to have a few Trackman (or equivalent)bays. Instant feedback on many parameters. Plus several outdoor monitors for the range. That would have to help. Plus a short game facility and putting green. No need to go off campus. That is especially important when you have an urban campus like TCU. Going out to the far west just to practice would be a grind, IMO.
the Oven is 10 mins from campus.

I think the big reality is there is no way we are coming up with the on campus space for a golf practice facility beyond maybe a couple of virtual bays and a locker room at best. Trackman is nice to understand the fundamental basis of why something is happening with your ball flight - but not sure I would expect a player to really get much better hitting into a screen and looking at launch numbers off a computer.

Somewhere they have to get outside and work - and the other real option is to do nothing different and most likely have the same result - a solid but nothing spectacular program.

Horned Toad

I played a few of the last holes on the front nine at Mira Vista on Friday with a couple of TCU golfers. They were a freshman named Alejandro and a junior named Stefano. Both were great players. Out drove me by at least 100 yards and I smashed one (for an old). We have a lot of TCU players on the course during the week. We have some exceptional CCs in Fort Worth with Colonial, Shady, and Mira Vista for them to choose from.

flyfishingfrog

Is Rivercrest ever used by frogs’ golfers? Just wondering.
not sure anymore but a couple of years ago the team basically had a different day per week they used each of area clubs and I am pretty sure Rivercrest was one of them -

Ridglea is the only one open on Mondays I think, so it was something like Ridglea Monday, Mira Tuesday, Colonial Wed, Shady Thurs, Rivercrest Friday type deal.

Not sure the exact days or clubs but you get the concept.

Portland Frog

I played a few of the last holes on the front nine at Mira Vista on Friday with a couple of TCU golfers. They were a freshman named Alejandro and a junior named Stefano. Both were great players. Out drove me by at least 100 yards and I smashed one (for an old). We have a lot of TCU players on the course during the week. We have some exceptional CCs in Fort Worth with Colonial, Shady, and Mira Vista for them to choose from.

Horned Toad given your avatar (sorry not trying to derail thread), but I recently learned that Animal House was filmed on the University of Oregon’s campus. I never knew this.

tcudoc

tenor.gif

Latest posts