• The KillerFrogs

2020 Recruiting Thread

netty2424

Sonny did not have a QB last season and we were a butt fumble and a Robinson interception vs TT late in the game from being 9-3 - we need to chew on that for awhile.

Someone will emerge by our first conference game. The rest of the team except field goals is set. If we do employ the Veer & Shoot offensive scheme, the QB running the ball is not all that important but what is important is can he pass and not turn the ball over. Much to do about Delton in the Spring but going forward with this new offensive scheme, we now see that he may slide down the depth chart.

Duggan probably does a RS, so it's Rogers or Collins as Baldwin's future on playing this year is still undecided. Personally, I'm going with the thoroughbred, Rogers.
Respectfully SR was Cumbie’s guy. He recruited him, he offered him, and he started him. He had his QB last year.

The SR stories that he didn’t put in the work still drive me nuts. I find it hard to believe in all of the years recruiting him and coaching him, Cumbie never uncovered that the kid didn’t go to work in the film room.

Froggish

Respectfully SR was Cumbie’s guy. He recruited him, he offered him, and he started him. He had his QB last year.

The SR stories that he didn’t put in the work still drive me nuts. I find it hard to believe in all of the years recruiting him and coaching him, Cumbie never uncovered that the kid didn’t go to work in the film room.

I think 9-3 Stuff also is shakey as well..You can project us winning the close ones without the assumption we loose games like ISU and K-State

What Up Toad

Could easily be the case that his parents were the primary motivating factor for him actually putting the work in.

Wexahu

I think our fan base overrated the kid from the start. Remember everyone freaking out when he dropped from a 4-star to a 3-star late in the recruiting process, saying that had to be an anti TCU bias? I’m guessing he probably dropped because the guys watching him play in the camps weren’t all that impressed and didn’t think he was a legit 4-star prospect.

Ron Swanson

Being a large bodied high school QB that can run like a deer and throw a football a quarter mile will get a college coach to overlook a potential work-ethic issue.

It’s also very possible he faked like he was a hard worker and it finally caught up to him.

Who knows, I’m not in the film room or behind the scenes, but what I saw on the field certainly jibes with the story of a talented kid who didn’t have much mental command of the offensive system or defenses he was playing against, which would make sense given what we heard about his lack of film study.

Last edited:

netty2424

Being a large bodied high school QB that can run like a deer and throw a football a quarter mile will get a college coach to overlook a potential work-ethic issue.

It’s also very possible he faked like he was a hard worker and it finally caught up to him.

Who knows, I’m not in the film room or behind the scenes, but what I saw on the field certainly jibes the story of a talented kid who didn’t have much mental command of the offensive system or defenses he was playing against, which would make sense given what we heard about his lack of film study.
I agree with that for the most part. I guess I still take exception to how many games he started/played here while supposedly not putting in the work. Can’t fake that. The coaches know who’s studying and who’s not.

I guess that was indicative of what the coaches felt like we had behind him.

4 Oaks Frog

I think our fan base overrated the kid from the start. Remember everyone freaking out when he dropped from a 4-star to a 3-star late in the recruiting process, saying that had to be an anti TCU bias? I’m guessing he probably dropped because the guys watching him play in the camps weren’t all that impressed and didn’t think he was a legit 4-star prospect.
That may well be the case. But the kid was a freak in high school. He was always the best athlete on the field. Consequently, he could get by with bad techniques and bad habits. Through his superior high school athleticism, he could find a way to get the ball down the field. He was faster than the high school game. But when he reached the next level where the field is full of great athletes, he couldn’t get by on the seat of his pants any longer. His bad techniques and habits caught up with him, and the college game was much to fast for him. He couldn’t adjust without a lot of work, and he refused to put in the work. So, he’s moved on and I wish him well. Hopefully, in the crop of QBs we have on the roster, Cumby and crew will find one that will shine. IMHO I think it is Dugan. .
GO FROGS!
BEAT EVERYBODY!
Spit Blood ~~<~< and [Baylor asshoe]!!

Froggish

Who knows, I’m not in the film room or behind the scenes, but what I saw on the field certainly jibes the story of a talented kid who didn’t have much mental command of the offensive system or defenses he was playing against, which would make sense given what we heard about his lack of film study.

Case study is performed by Donghorns every year

Moose Stuff

I think our fan base overrated the kid from the start. Remember everyone freaking out when he dropped from a 4-star to a 3-star late in the recruiting process.

He dropped from a 5 star to a 4 star.
For perspective he was a .9222 which would make him the second highest rated QB we’ve ever signed and close to one of the top 10 best we ever signed at any position. If fans overrated him it was only because the services did as well.

Froggish

For perspective he was a .9222 which would make him the second highest rated QB we’ve ever signed and close to one of the top 10 best we ever signed at any position. If fans overrated him it was only because the services did as well.

I still think SR will have success at the college level...Sometimes you have to be kicked around a little bit to have a frame of reference on how much work it takes to be successful. I think he’ll work harder the next time he gets a chance..

MTfrog5

I still think SR will have success at the college level...Sometimes you have to be kicked around a little bit to have a frame of reference on how much work it takes to be successful. I think he’ll work harder the next time he gets a chance..
My concern would be that if he got out of shape as a back up QB (watch the Tech game) what’s going to happen when he has to sit out a year and has no chance of playing outside of scout team?

froginmn

Stop parading on Wex's rain

Punter1

+1,000,000

And I guarantee SR was told repeatedly since he was a 9th grader to NOT throw off his back foot, NOT throw late over the middle into triple coverage and to protect the ball when running.

He obviously had a hard time with the little things that every QB coach preaches and 99% of D1 QBs do and don't do....

netty2424

Just looking at the 2020 recruiting rankings.

Clemson on top right now with 15 recruits.
four of those 5*, ten are 4*, and one 3*.

Rounding out top 5.
LSU
Bama
Miami
Fl St

Froggish

Clem has been nipping at Bama heels for a while. After rolling them in the title game this past year, I have a feeling they beat Bama back to the pack. I think Bama dominance is done