• The KillerFrogs

Report on the Houston Coaches Event last night?

Wexahu

IIRC it was an 11am kickoff and was much cooler at 11am than it was at 6pm. Night games are great, but they aren't that much cooler than 11am games the first week of September. Add in that the tailgate from 7am to kickoff is far cooler than the tailgate from 1pm to 6pm, the team gets extra hours to recover while coaches get more time to prepare, and you get home in time to watch the prime time games on TV and it's an immensely better fan experience IMO. I hope all of our weak non-con games are the 11am type.

Agreed. The main draw of the FCS game is the tailgate (that's almost the only draw), and I'd rather tailgate at 7:00 AM than 3:00 PM in early September.

TAINTed frog

Gary himself could help with the butts in the seats by making sure the first game against APB is in the evening and not during the day like the game against Southern last year. It had to be the hottest day of the year when we played our first game last season. He said he wanted the game early so he could spend the remainder of the day watching film and scouting SMU who we played the following Friday. It was miserable!
Perhaps a 50,000 seat stadium is *a bit* too big for the size of the school and number of living alumni? Just spitballing.

/ducks

Froggish

Me too. It's starting to sound a little too much like excuses. Last year our injury situation was embellished IMO. I mean, we had some injuries, quite a few, but the numbers like 30+ players that was being floated around was ridiculous and not close to really being representative of how many injuries we had. Don't see any need for that unless you're just fishing for excuses.

Well GP himself threw out the 30+ stuff a number of times but your right..We started to let that define us after a while which grew tiresome. Injuries aren’t excuse for poor effort and execution..It did look like somewhere in those last 3 games we stopped feeling sorry for ourselves and started competing

jake102

Well GP himself threw out the 30+ stuff a number of times but your right..We started to let that define us after a while which grew tiresome. Injuries aren’t excuse for poor effort and execution..It did look like somewhere in those last 3 games we stopped feeling sorry for ourselves and started competing

Our OC also woke up a little bit (maybe through GP encouragement).

I have an equal problem with the endless public statements on the injuries and how many minor injuries that sideline guys for weeks. I know our saga recently ended with Listenbee, but guys need to play, its football.

Wexahu

Our OC also woke up a little bit (maybe through GP encouragement).

I have an equal problem with the endless public statements on the injuries and how many minor injuries that sideline guys for weeks. I know our saga recently ended with Listenbee, but guys need to play, its football.

The combination of always talking about guys being hurt but being hypersensitive about revealing the nature or severity of the injuries is a bad look IMO. If you don't want anyone to know anything specific about injuries, don't even mention injuries.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
Gary himself could help with the butts in the seats by making sure the first game against APB is in the evening and not during the day like the game against Southern last year. It had to be the hottest day of the year when we played our first game last season. He said he wanted the game early so he could spend the remainder of the day watching film and scouting SMU who we played the following Friday. It was miserable!
Man I totally forgot that Gary sets the game times.

Hell Sent Frog

For the FCS game he typically has some input

Yes, last year Gary claimed he was the one who wanted the early time.
In the second half there was hardly anyone in their seats.

In the years leading up to last year, the FCS game was in the evenings. The crowds in the stadium were much better in those years.

It's not just the heat but being directly in the sun.
Most people don't tailgate. But at least if you are tailgating in the afternoon you might find some tree cover nearby or put up a portable covering to get some relief. Or have a cold beer to help cool you off.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Concur but.....GP has no say on when TV networks schedule us.

Frog Island

Didn't realize Gary was an ESPN or FOX broadcasting exec! Damn you Gary. Schedule a night game.

Ron Swanson

Didn't realize Gary was an ESPN or FOX broadcasting exec! Damn you Gary. Schedule a night game.
The school sets the time for the one annual FCS game when it isn’t picked up by the major networks.

So no, he’s not a broadcasting exec, but he did say last year that he wanted the game at 11 am so that he could get started on film study for the SMU game earlier in the day.

While I appreciate some good sarcastic jabs making fun of someone you think is stupid, this may not have been the best opportunity for that.