• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Fort Worth is getting a new Hyatt Place hotel — on TCU’s campus

HFrog1999

I heard that several wealthy season ticket holders already booked the hotel for the entire season and are subletting the rooms to opposing fans.

giphy.gif

ShadowFrog

Moderators
It’s a mediocre design. It’s also on the very corner of campus, and the least-nice corner at that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Just imagine if we had built The Music Village as originally planned there — woulda made an Awesome Fine Arts anchor for our East end by UMC and Paschal and (I think) would have accelerated existing Berry Street initiatives more than now so we could class up Berry Street. Yes, I used a few We’s there. No, I don’t write checks to TCU with lotsa zero’s on the end. I do like to think bigger, reach higher for TCU, hence the We’s.

WhatTheFrog

Just imagine if we had built The Music Village as originally planned there — woulda made an Awesome Fine Arts anchor for our East end by UMC and Paschal and (I think) would have accelerated existing Berry Street initiatives more than now so we could class up Berry Street. Yes, I used a few We’s there. No, I don’t write checks to TCU with lotsa zero’s on the end. I do like to think bigger, reach higher for TCU, hence the We’s.
Fine Arts don't TYPICALLY pay the bills. Isn't that a large part of the #occupy movement? My understanding, anyway. That, and the stupid escalation of higher education costs.

This is one of those instances where I'm not a huge fan of the free market. Problem is that banks will loan almost any amount of money to students for school loans, especially if the parents are co-signing. The school bears no risk, while the government-backed loans and parents bear all risk. Schools continue to get richer at no consequence. I propose that the schools finance the students' loans and take the risk. Schools will be less likely to take in borderline students, prices will go up, demand will fall, and tuition will likely fall back in line with a true free market.

Just my opinion.

ShadowFrog

Moderators
Fine Arts don't TYPICALLY pay the bills. Isn't that a large part of the #occupy movement? My understanding, anyway. That, and the stupid escalation of higher education costs.

This is one of those instances where I'm not a huge fan of the free market. Problem is that banks will loan almost any amount of money to students for school loans, especially if the parents are co-signing. The school bears no risk, while the government-backed loans and parents bear all risk. Schools continue to get richer at no consequence. I propose that the schools finance the students' loans and take the risk. Schools will be less likely to take in borderline students, prices will go up, demand will fall, and tuition will likely fall back in line with a true free market.

Just my opinion.
Maybe it’s because I’ve been hand-holding my mother for 3 (or is it 4 now?) daze of Delirium while sitting in a hospital chair but somehow that all makes sense to me. Or is it the lack of sleep??

Purp

Just my opinion.
I just read a Freakonomics Radio podcast transcript today of an interview with Mitch Daniels. He's most famous for his time as Governor of Indiana before Mike Pence. He mulled a run for president in 2012, but opted to exit public life to become president at Purdue.

He's started a program there very similar to your proposal. They're about 3 years into it, but private investors fund the tuition cost on the front end for students and the students pay 2.5% - 5% (percentage depends on major course of study and salary potential) of their salaries after graduation for 7 years as long as their salary exceeds a certain dollar amount. It's also capped for students who earn unusually large salaries early in their careers.

This way, if the university doesn't produce a student with higher earning potential then they share the cost of the failure with the investor group. Investors get to hire these kids, but they don't get prioritized or preferential treatment to cherry pick the best. This also helps place kids in good jobs.

Purdue hasn't raised tuition, fees, or room and board since 2012.

Last edited:

ticketfrog123

Just my opinion.

How does both price go up and tuition falls?

If the schools finance the loans they’ll shut down the fine arts program and expand nursing /business schools.

ticketfrog123

I just read a Freakonomics Radio podcast transcript today of an interview with Mitch Daniels. He's most famous for his time as Governor of Indiana before Mike Pence. He mulled a run for president in 2012, but opted to exit public life to become president at Purdue.

He's started a program there very similar to your proposal. They're about 3 years into it, but private investors find the tuition cost on the front end for students and the students pay 2.5% - 5% (percentage depends on major course of study and salary potential) of their salaries after graduation for 7 years as long as their salary exceeds a certain dollar amount. It's also capped for students who earn unusually large salaries early in their careers.

This way, if the university doesn't produce a student with higher earning potential then they share the cost of the failure with the investor group. Investors get to hire these kids, but they don't get prioritized or preferential treatment to cherry pick the best. This also helps place kids in good jobs.

Purdue hasn't raised tuition, fees, or room and board since 2012.

This is partially incorrect. The loans do not have a cap for students who have larger salaries. Hence why they help you get higher paying jobs and careers. The loans also do not count as traditional education loans with standard terms and interest rates.

The loans specifically do not allow early payoff and are more likely to charge higher interest than traditional loans.

It’s a total scam where private investors make a killing.

Will edit with article soon.

Purp

This is partially incorrect. The loans do not have a cap for students who have larger salaries. Hence why they help you get higher paying jobs and careers. The loans also do not count as traditional education loans with standard terms and interest rates.

The loans specifically do not allow early payoff and are more likely to charge higher interest than traditional loans.

It’s a total scam where private investors make a killing.

Will edit with article soon.
It's capped at 2.5 times the cost of the student's education. It was stated very clearly. Daniels is either a liar or you're misinformed.

ticketfrog123

It's capped at 2.5 times the cost of the student's education. It was stated very clearly. Daniels is either a liar or you're misinformed.

That is not a cap for students with higher salaries. It’s a cap on the total payment over the life of the loan that applies to all salary ranges.

If you receive a $30,000 loan you can ultimately pay $75,000 over 10 years. That’s a bad deal vs. the federal loan rates...it implies a 20% APR vs. federal loans under 9%

Purp

That is not a cap for students with higher salaries. It’s a cap on the total payment over the life of the loan that applies to all salary ranges.

If you receive a $30,000 loan you can ultimately pay $75,000 over 10 years. That’s a bad deal vs. the federal loan rates...it implies a 20% APR vs. federal loans under 9%
Theoretically that's possible except it would be over 7 years instead of 10. Also, since you're only paying 2.5% of your salary each year you would have to earn about $430K/year starting your first year after graduation to pay back $75K.

By contrast, a kid graduating with $100K in debt at federally subsidized interest rates is paying well over $1K/month regardless of ability to pay. Now that's a bad deal. It's more than $12K/year and very unlikely that it's aided by a $430K/year salary.

ticketfrog123

Theoretically that's possible except it would be over 7 years instead of 10. Also, since you're only paying 2.5% of your salary each year you would have to earn about $430K/year starting your first year after graduation to pay back $75K.

By contrast, a kid graduating with $100K in debt at federally subsidized interest rates is paying well over $1K/month regardless of ability to pay. Now that's a bad deal.

You do not pay a flat 2.5%. It varies based on your major and other items.

There’s an example below of a student who took out 10k and ended up pay 17k over the term of her loan. That’s a 13% rate, which is higher than the federal loan.

Your comment about someone with 100k debt that is federally subsidized is odd. Federally subsidized loans are the cheapest APR out there, as private loans are always higher. The student also has the ability to opt for an income based payment plan...with the ability to pay off the loan early.

Federal loan rate is 5-6% I believe.

My point is: students are paying higher with this plan. There are certain rare instances where they may come out ahead, but very unlikely.

Read this.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...rads-sell-stakes-in-themselves-to-wall-street

Last edited:

WhatTheFrog

How does both price go up and tuition falls?

If the schools finance the loans they’ll shut down the fine arts program and expand nursing /business schools.
Follow the commas.

That's the point. There are some degrees worth more in the real world than others. Not saying that fine arts are totally worthless, but those skills can likely be obtained without a $250k degree. An artist doesn't need to know algebra or biology, necessarily.

ticketfrog123

Follow the commas.

That's the point. There are some degrees worth more in the real world than others. Not saying that fine arts are totally worthless, but those skills can likely be obtained without a $250k degree. An artist doesn't need to know algebra or biology, necessarily.

I followed...but wouldn’t private college just become solely an option for the upper class? The demand for “luxury” and “status” seems to be inelastic...Tiffany’s, Rolex are certainly affected by the economy but that target market won’t disappear.

I think your point stands for public colleges as more people may see the salaries for in-demand blue collar jobs that don’t require a degree.