• The KillerFrogs

Baldwin to transfer to TCU

Eight

Anybody find it weird that nobody wants to transfer in to UT? I know they have Mehlinger but after that they are pretty lacking. Seems like they would have been a destination for guys like this.

texas has an established quarterback who is a junior. granted sam has had some injuries, but he is the guy in austin and i don't think baldwin wanted to transfer to a program where they don't have a chance to start.

compare that to tcu where you have:

alex delton with 1 year left and know one is sure if he can throw the ball well enough,
mike collins who we aren't sure if he will be well this fall and he has 4 starts under his belt, justin rogers who we aren't sure if he is fully healthy and he has played a few snaps, and max duggan who no one knows if he is ready to play.

Anybody find it weird that nobody wants to transfer in to UT? I know they have Mehlinger but after that they are pretty lacking. Seems like they would have been a destination for guys like this.

Good thoughts.

The main question today from water cooler talk is "Why bring this kid in and take a scholarship if TCU already has some studs?"

My answer was we went through 3-4 QBs last year. Justin Rogers looks great on Twitter but we really don't know about his drop foot situation if he is 100%. And isn't it great that TCU has some great competition with some pretty great talent. Whomever is going to dethrown Oklahoma is going to have to do it by better QB play and score TDs.

Also for any of our other QBs thinking of transferring. Wherever they go programs will bring in new talent for all positions. It's the way it is. We believe in each person on the roster, go win the starting role. Being the best won't be ignored.

Last edited:

y2kFrog

Good thoughts.

The main question today from water cooler talk is "Why bring this kid in and take a scholarship if TCU already has some studs?"

My answer was we went through 3-4 QBs last year. Justin Rogers looks great on Twitter but we really don't know about his drop foot situation if he is 100%. And isn't it great that TCU has some great competition with some pretty great talent. Whomever is going to dethrown Oklahoma is going to have to do it by better QB play and score TDs.

Also for any of our other QBs thinking of transferring. Wherever they go programs will bring in new talent for all positions. It's the way it is. We believe in each person on the roster, go win the starting role. Being the best won't be ignored.

Honestly, I think we are a good QB away from being a really good team. The more bodies, the better odds on a hit. I don’t care who it is, and I’m sure someone will leave but that’s for another day.

MinFrog

These things will sort themselves out. If JR is healthy, I think he wins the job by the end of the year. Duggan will get his shot in a couple of years. Collins is a solid backup, but he ain't taking us to the playoffs. And Delton is a hired gun for a year.

If I am cumbie/GP, I go to Duggan and Rogers (the future of the program) and tell them that if they can guarantee they will live up to their potential and promise not to get hurt, then they would pass on Baldwin. But since they can't, take all the talented, high upside QBs you can.

The coaches have recruited about as well as you can, now they have to grow them up.

netty2424

Honestly, I think we are a good QB away from being a really good team. The more bodies, the better odds on a hit. I don’t care who it is, and I’m sure someone will leave but that’s for another day.
Not disagreeing with you as I’m right there with you on your point, but it would be nice to bring in a QB recruit and develop them. That’s pretty important to a programs success in landing these high starsie kids long-term. Cumbie is an exceptional recruiter, but imo the jury is still out on landing a kid and shaping him into an elite or even just a really good QB.

Froggish

How do you adequately evaluate with 5 scholarship QBs?...There does seem to be a certain amount of dice rolling going on..The QB situation smells like an open try out

Eight

How do you adequately evaluate with 5 scholarship QBs?...There does seem to be a certain amount of dice rolling going on..The QB situation smells like an open try out

i think to some extent it is an open try out.

we are not sure about the heath of justin and mike, we are not sure about delton's ability to throw the ball effectively, and we are not sure about max making the jump to college football

last year had a number of issues on the offensive side of the ball, but the line showed improvement at the end of the year, there will be better depth at running back, there is talent at receiver you hope develops, which brings you back to quarterback.

ticketfrog123

Well...not all 5 are currently healthy so that narrows it down. One of them appears to be an insurance policy that has 1 yr left.

It’s a 2 or 3 man competition depending on Rogers health.

CardFrog

Well...not all 5 are currently healthy so that narrows it down. One of them appears to be an insurance policy that has 1 yr left.

It’s a 2 or 3 man competition depending on Rogers health.
Any chance some of these could play elsewhere on the field. I am with whoever said earlier that after last year we cant have too many QB's initially.

ticketfrog123

Any chance some of these could play elsewhere on the field. I am with whoever said earlier that after last year we cant have too many QB's initially.

I haven’t heard of much interest re: current QBs willing or able to play elsewhere on the field. Certainly no room for them to convert at RB / WR and see meaningful time.

Billy Clyde

I haven’t heard of much interest re: current QBs willing or able to play elsewhere on the field. Certainly no room for them to convert at RB / WR and see meaningful time.

Where the heck have you been? You really think Gary would have wasted a scholarship on Duggan if he couldn't grow him up into a D-end???

Froggish

Interesting that we keep hearing that we don’t want QBs who are pro style and then we bring in Baldwin...The fact that our uncertainty at the position has caused a change to our fundamental stance on that can only mean that the staff is in love with Baldwin’s potential AKA arm...Or we have so many question marks in the room we are reaching for anyone who can help..

Both are probably a little bit true

Bob Sugar

Is this Alec or Billy? I'm not sure which would be better, or worse.

I also didn't know we had a "quarterback room."
Stephen...

Live footage from the quarterback room:
tenor.gif

Billy Clyde

Interesting that we keep hearing that we don’t want QBs who are pro style and then we bring in Baldwin...The fact that our uncertainty at the position has caused a change to our fundamental stance on that can only mean that the staff is in love with Baldwin’s potential AKA arm...Or we have so many question marks in the room we are reaching for anyone who can help..

Both are probably a little bit true

I don't know who said we "don't want" pro-style QBs. Any of the HUNH offenses en vogue now, including ours, are most effective with pro-quality passers who can run to extend plays, and *occasionally* run for positive yardage to pressure a defense.
That's how I'd define both TB2 and Dalton- Accurate passers first, runners as a means to open up passing opportunities. Inaccurate passing is devastating to our offense.
All the TTU/OU high-powered offenses of the last decade or so have featured the same- Guys who were really accurate passers- Some could run, some couldn't.
I'd love to see us migrate back to looking something more like we did in Dalton's time here, the track-meet stuff scares me, because of how quickly things can go horribly wrong with a few bad passes or dropped balls by receivers.

Eight

I don't know who said we "don't want" pro-style QBs. Any of the HUNH offenses en vogue now, including ours, are most effective with pro-quality passers who can run to extend plays, and *occasionally* run for positive yardage to pressure a defense.
That's how I'd define both TB2 and Dalton- Accurate passers first, runners as a means to open up passing opportunities. Inaccurate passing is devastating to our offense.
All the TTU/OU high-powered offenses of the last decade or so have featured the same- Guys who were really accurate passers- Some could run, some couldn't.
I'd love to see us migrate back to looking something more like we did in Dalton's time here, the track-meet stuff scares me, because of how quickly things can go horribly wrong with a few bad passes or dropped balls by receivers.

i think we will continue to see the trend that we have seen the past two years with the frogs running the ball more than throwing the ball regardless if delton is the starting quarterback or one of the other candidates.

both senior backs should be healthy, their is quality depth at the position, and i think the line play will be improved this year.

i think tempo will be used when the frogs have a defense on their heels and i think gary likes the idea of tiring out a defense with tempo. he also likes the idea of keeping his offense off the field and while he can't get frustrated if the offense breaks a long play i think he doesn't want to go back to the offense of 2016.

that is why to me the key for the quarterback in 2019 is who can execute in the offense. heck, if robinson can simply make the basic throws in the offense at texas and against tech the frogs win both those games.