• The KillerFrogs

Baseball v WVU - Game #3

Leap Frog

FWIW -- Frog predicted RPI is #58 which is one spot worse than they were last year when they were left out. This may actually be a decent harbinger however since we'll have to do way better than "predicted" so the upside potential is there if we can win out (or lose one at the most).

Can you, or someone give an up-date on the status of Hunter Wolfe. He hasn't played lately, and looked like a good young addition early on? Also, Frogs will lose a handful of players to graduation, draft or attrition, but may get the injured ones back next year.

Purp

Can you, or someone give an up-date on the status of Hunter Wolfe. He hasn't played lately, and looked like a good young addition early on? Also, Frogs will lose a handful of players to graduation, draft or attrition, but may get the injured ones back next year.
Pretty sure he's out for the year due to injury. Broken ankle making a play at the wall IIRC.

Pharm Frog

I am not the authority on draft-eligible sophomores. As Purp mentioned, all I've heard about Wolfe is that his ankle injury will shelve him for the rest of this season. We'll lose Watson, Lodolo, JJ, and Rizer. If I scan the junior and RS junior list, I could see us losing a lot more including Guenther (almost a certainty), Williamson, King, Wolfe, and Henry. Always tough to say at this point because there's no optic into how some of these view getting their degree now as opposed to later. If Cal and Jake had been as expected I'd imagine we'd have lost them as well. Not so sure that we won't anyway if either has an option. Last year the Frogs had five drafted (including JJ and Watson). I'd say that Lodolo, Williamson, King, and Guenther are obvious selections. The rest of the juniors will have to value their leverage. I figure a few will decide to declare. One thing I keep wondering about is "player/position development" v "leverage" when it comes to position players. For example, where will Wolfe play even if he's back? Same for Shepherd? What about Isola? Can he catch full a season or not?

Moose Stuff

My guess is we are going to have a lot of new names next year- more than even this year

There will be at least two new weekend starters. The lineup will lose Watson, Rizer, and most likely Guenther. Not outrageous to think that Isola/Wolfe/Henry could sign. Our top recruit is gonna have to turn down upwards of 2 million for us to keep him..... on paper next year is worse than this year.

Last edited:

Pharm Frog

There will be at least two new weekend starters. The lineup will lose Watson, Humphreys, Rizer, and most likely Guenther. Not outrageous to think that Isola/Wolfe/Henry could sign. Our top recruit is gonna have to turn down upwards of 2 million for us to keep him..... on paper next year is worse than this year.

Why Hump? Personally I think Henry and Wolfe will sign and Guenther should be as close to a certainty as they come. And, I think we lose all three current weekend starters.

Moose Stuff

Why Hump? Personally I think Henry and Wolfe will sign and Guenther should be as close to a certainty as they come. And, I think we lose all three current weekend starters.

My mistake on Humphreys, in my head he was a SR. Wolfe and Henry just depends on how cheap they’ll sign .

flyfishingfrog

My mistake on Humphreys, in my head he was a SR. Wolfe and Henry just depends on how cheap they’ll sign .
It will be interesting - with Shep being a RS Junior - we could easily go from having 3 of the 4 traditional starters this year gone to having everyone back.

But I don't see how Guenther stays - he has had too solid of a year.

But then with the latest shakeup in the positions - who knows anything anymore about where people "play" really.

I would like to see a SS/2B combo with more range and better teamwork than we currently have - but it might be more reasonable to expect that from AO and Henry getting more time together than bringing in new guys. That is far from my wheelhouse of knowledge. I know that our staff expected a Wolfe/Henry combo to be smooth since they came as a package this year and that didn't work out which is why Wolfe moved to RF before getting hurt.

Last edited: