• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘Racist motive’ for dress code? TCU coach denied entry at West 7th bar over Air Jordans

HFrog1999

I don’t understand. Air Force 1’s look like old man sneakers.

They probably don’t want grumpy old men in their establishment starting fights

tenor.gif

That dress code is very obviously geared towards black people. Sure, do some white people wear those types of clothing? Of course.

But you are absolutely kidding yourself if you don’t think that’s geared towards black people.
And herein lies the problem...in order to draw this conclusion, don’t you have to make judgments based on racial stereotypes?

jake102

I could never own a business that relies on the general public. I’d do something in complete ignorance and get labeled terrible things

I don’t have a freaking clue what an Air Force one looks like or a Jordan 11. And I sure don’t know the difference between that and “tennis shoes”.

I would also never enter a place with that kind of a dress code, or where people get mad about their “nice” shoes. Sounds awful

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
And herein lies the problem...in order to draw this conclusion, don’t you have to make judgments based on racial stereotypes?
Appears to be more of an observation about clothing choices. I do not agree with that establishment's dress code so I wont be going there.

Ron Swanson

No

In order to draw that conclusion, I have to know what certain races wear more commonly than others. I’m not judging anyone for what they wear, just observing, and black people wear those types of clothing far more white, Mexican or Asian people. It was so blatantly geared towards black people, I’m almost surprised they didn’t list FUBU in there as a banned part of the dress code.

No

In order to draw that conclusion, I have to know what certain races wear more commonly than others. I’m not judging anyone for what they wear, just observing, and black people wear those types of clothing far more white, Mexican or Asian people. It was so blatantly geared towards black people, I’m almost surprised they didn’t list FUBU in there as a banned part of the dress code.
The problem with this is that saying what one race wears, is, in fact, racial stereotyping.

Even if it is an established or documented fact.

Ron Swanson

The problem with this is that saying what one race wears, is, in fact, racial stereotyping.

Even if it is an established or documented fact.
Stereotyping, stating facts, whatever... I’m not worried about people saying that I have done that. If I was a racist, I’d probably be tip-toeing around the issue and worry about pointing things out because I’d be scared people would call me a racist, but I’m very confident in my non-racistism

sentcu

Stereotyping, stating facts, whatever... I’m not worried about people saying that I have done that. If I was a racist, I’d probably be tip-toeing around the issue and worry about pointing things out because I’d be scared people would call me a racist, but I’m very confident in my non-racistism

Yup. At some point people who got tired of black people “whining” about racism figured out that “you’re the real racist for bringing up race, I don’t see color, I thought that’s what you wanted!” was a bonkers enough rebuttal to muddy the waters enough to avoid any kind of realistic conversation about racial bias.

RS is right, of course that super specific list of banned clothing items on one list together is geared toward black men. I mean.. come on.. Bars like this are obsessed with doing anything they can to curate their clientele the way they want. I don’t understand the need to twist yourself into pretzels to defend them on this. Weird hill to die on...

Frog DJ

I don’t know enough about current fashion to even form an opinion on whether this is racist or not, but I sure am tired of the shifting rules about what constitutes racism and what doesn’t.

My generation was on the frontlines for helping to break new ground on civil rights, and I had hoped we’d all be much further down the road toward a more open and accepting society by now - but apparently not.

So here we sit.

Very disappointing...

Go Frogs!

I think I understand where you are coming from and I don't disagree at all. Forgive me, but my comments were more of a birds-eye-view of this issue rather than one being pointed directly at you directly I really don't care about, nor am I offended by stereotypes.

You have to admit, however, that there is a large segment of people who are eager to seize upon the slightest grievance to make a point. This has created an atmosphere that makes it very difficult to have rational conversations about such matters. I was simply pointing out that in many circumstances, there is an inherent level of hypocrisy required to make such points.

I never took your comments to have that trajectory, by the way.

Salfrog

Tier 1
I don't have a problem with a business setting a dress code. If that's what they want to do, or turn away clientele, that's their choice. It's also the public or individuals choice to not spend their money in said establishment.

Ron Swanson

I think I understand where you are coming from and I don't disagree at all. Forgive me, but my comments were more of a birds-eye-view of this issue rather than one being pointed directly at you directly I really don't care about, nor am I offended by stereotypes.

You have to admit, however, that there is a large segment of people who are eager to seize upon the slightest grievance to make a point. This has created an atmosphere that makes it very difficult to have rational conversations about such matters. I was simply pointing out that in many circumstances, there is an inherent level of hypocrisy required to make such points.

I never took your comments to have that trajectory, by the way.
Understood, and I never took your comments in a negative way.

Double V

"Their website says:
Baggy Clothing (half the white guys I grew up with), Non-Military Issued Camouflage (my redneck brother-in-law), Air Jordans (half the white guys I grew up with and several white guys in HASMSP), Air Force Ones (half the white guys I grew up with including me plus several white guys in HASMSP), Polo Boots (half the white guys I grew up with including me), Timberlands (half the white guys I grew up with), Solid Tshirts (half the white guys I grew up with, my redneck brother-in-law, and 20% of the white people I go to church with, Sports Attire & Offensive Clothing (literally covers 80% - 90% of the people I know including me)"

The explanation about Jordans seems more than plausible. I bet the same could be said for Polo boots and Timberlands. I have several guys who have worked for me in the past (white, black, and Mexican) who can attest to certain solid colors meaning certain things that can cause conflict. It's perfectly reasonable, then, to prohibit such a thing if it could pose enough of a threat to the club's patrons. I've been in bars where Tech fans (white) went after Aggy fans (just as white) for wearing #12 jerseys.

Should I go on?

If you see something here it's because you want to see it; not necessarily because it really exists.
I think half the white guys you grew up with are really black dudes...