• The KillerFrogs

Has anyone seen my specialty plates?

tcudoc

At least we’re getting more people involved. The Police Chief has been talking to my wife and I think she’s actually going to speak at this meeting.

Todd Hulsey is our City Councilman. He lives in our neighborhood and has been the most helpful.

You should read his bio. Interesting is an understatement

https://fbiretired.com/agent/hulsey-todd/

From reading his bio, I can tell I would either really think this guy was awesome or I would hate him. I can tell if people are judgmental just by looking at them...

Mean Purple

Liked b/c it made me laugh.

My home warranty let me chose from a few contractor options they had available. Since I didn't know one any better than the other I let them chose the one who would come out most quickly. IIRC, they also had them rated by me and any contractor used who is rated poorly doesn't get called back.

Like I said before, I've heard plenty of bad home warranty stories to justify being leery. I'm just not willing to throw the baby out with the bath water. Like with everything you buy, there are good products and bad ones. It just may not be as easy to discern a bad home warranty as it is to discern a good hamburger (Whataburger) from a bad one (In n Out).
Agreed. The value was not buying a new ac. Although, I probably need to update to a better one.

Purp

That update by Wes is tough to read. I have had the pleasure to meet him a couple of times and share a meal and a nice visit. He is one of the good guys for sure.
Yeah, I've bumped into him enough times at baseball games, football games, State of Frogdom lunches, and Omaha that he recognized me when he saw me and we'd share a quick conversation many times. He's a solid dude and that news is tough to process.

Sand Frog

Yeah, I've bumped into him enough times at baseball games, football games, State of Frogdom lunches, and Omaha that he recognized me when he saw me and we'd share a quick conversation many times. He's a solid dude and that news is tough to process.

Same. Don't know him on a deep personal level, but every time I see his updates here or on Facebook I wish there was something I could do for him other than pray.

Sand Frog

In other news, went to the new Heim location @ 5333 White Settlement today for lunch. BIG MEH on the brisket, turkey, and bacon burnt ends! Nice location, but not impressed. Waaaaaaaaaaaay overpriced. Every since the first few times I went in the one on Magnolia I've thought the quality has keep creeping down. Very disappointed. Now the greens and green chilli mac was spot on, but this is a got dang BBQ joint. Re-up your game Heim!

HFrog1999

From reading his bio, I can tell I would either really think this guy was awesome or I would hate him. I can tell if people are judgmental just by looking at them...

giphy.gif

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Thought about ductless? Europe is well ahead of our HVAC technology in the states.

We built a new house 3 years ago and have no central heat/air, just the mini-splits. Put in 5 smaller (110v) ductless units and 2 larger (220v) ductless units. Energy costs on them are absurdly low. If you don't use some of the rooms, you can shut those off, and if one breaks down, the others will carry on, so that you are never uncomfortable. I wouldn't do it any other way. 4,000 sq ft, and summer electric bills are always under $120, fall and spring are in the $80-$100 range.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
We built a new house 3 years ago and have no central heat/air, just the mini-splits. Put in 5 smaller (110v) ductless units and 2 larger (220v) ductless units. Energy costs on them are absurdly low. If you don't use some of the rooms, you can shut those off, and if one breaks down, the others will carry on, so that you are never uncomfortable. I wouldn't do it any other way. 4,000 sq ft, and summer electric bills are always under $120, fall and spring are in the $80-$100 range.
giphy.gif

netty2424

Good to hear.

We bought an old home farmhouse built in the 40’s and gutted it. We put a brand new Rheem unit in and actually over sized it a little to help during peak heat season. Being an old house and pier and beam, we still a little lose a little through heat transfer when it stays over 100 outside for consecutive weeks like it did last year. The a/c just wasn’t keeping up in the living room that has a vaulted ceiling so I think I’m going to put a mini split just in the living room to help offset. When this system goes in 10-15-20 years, I’ll for sure replace it with ductless throughout.

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Good to hear.

We bought an old home farmhouse built in the 40’s and gutted it. We put a brand new Rheem unit in and actually over sized it a little to help during peak heat season. Being an old house and pier and beam, we still a little lose a little through heat transfer when it stays over 100 outside for consecutive weeks like it did last year. The a/c just wasn’t keeping up in the living room that has a vaulted ceiling so I think I’m going to put a mini split just in the living room to help offset. When this system goes in 10-15-20 years, I’ll for sure replace it with ductless throughout.
you won't be disappointed. I think we paid about $1100 each for the smaller units and $1500 for the larger ones. Installation was another $1000 or so. It was definitely less cost that a central unit (or two) with ducts, etc. The smaller units pull so few amps that they don't even require a dedicated circuit.

netty2424

you won't be disappointed. I think we paid about $1100 each for the smaller units and $1500 for the larger ones. Installation was another $1000 or so. It was definitely less cost that a central unit (or two) with ducts, etc. The smaller units pull so few amps that they don't even require a dedicated circuit.
Yep they quoted me $2,000 for unit and install. It’ll pay for itself in 3-5 years based on the increase in electricity bill during the summer months alone.

Ron Swanson

#1 recommendation for decreasing your house’s energy bills in the summer? Assuming your AC unit is fine.

Get good attic insulation laid down? If so, what’s that cost?

At least we’re getting more people involved. The Police Chief has been talking to my wife and I think she’s actually going to speak at this meeting.

Todd Hulsey is our City Councilman. He lives in our neighborhood and has been the most helpful.

You should read his bio. Interesting is an understatement

https://fbiretired.com/agent/hulsey-todd/

It's like I'm looking into a damned mirror.