• The KillerFrogs

FWST: ‘Racist motive’ for dress code? TCU coach denied entry at West 7th bar over Air Jordans

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

‘Racist motive’ for dress code? TCU coach denied entry at West 7th bar over Air Jordans

By Stefan Stevenson

For some, there’s hardly a dressier pair of shoes than Nike’s Air Jordan.

But they’re not good enough for Texas Republic, a bar, nightclub and restaurant just south of West 7th Street in Fort Worth.

TCU athletics assistant life and character coach Coleman Maxwell was denied entry Saturday night because he was wearing Jordan 11’s, which are prohibited by the club’s dress code.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article229792649.html#storylink=cpy

What Up Toad

haha there are some mental gymnastics going on to honestly believe this policy isn't racially motivated.

What if the club had a policy that didn't allow pleated slacks, New Balances, or reading glasses? And then said they had an issue with people falling asleep at the club and it's a real mood killer. Would you say, "Guess that's their policy," or wonder if they were targeting old people?

Air Force 1s and Jordans are typically worn by black guys. People starting fights because their shoes got stepped on is almost uniquely a black issue. Basketball shorts aren't solely worn by black people, but I'd say they're pretty popular. Baggy pants are the same way.

Practically every bar on West 7th is worried about not being popular with white girls. Since my days at TCU, I've heard numerous girls veto various bars on 7th because "there's always a bunch of black guys there now." They're not worried about the TCU football players; they're worried about the guys who dropped out of high school.

The policy might have a valid reasoning behind it, but it still seems pretty racially motivated.

mgsouthpaw

nothing racist about this. if a restaurant owner wants to turn away people willing to pay for his good and services then more power to him - owners should be able to refuse service for fair and unfair reasons - and if there are racist owners the public outcry in the form of prospective customers not patronizing the establishment will be punishment enough in the form of lost business. people count on central planners and not everyday customers when it comes to enforcement, but everyday citizens should be and are more powerful. If u dont like what this owner did send a message by never going there - that will get his attention.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
It's on their website under Dress Code.

One of my pet peeves are people who come to a nice restaurant and wear ball caps, shorts, etc.

I don't consider Texas Republic a Nice Restaurant.

That said it can set its own parameters on dress.

Went to Morton’s Steakhouse here downtown and these people come in with Caterpillar hats on and jeans, flip flops and a girl in, cutoffs, halter and wet hair. I asked if there wasn’t a dress code and the waiter shook his head and said, “We did, but this is Indiana and we had to turn a profit”. Every time I see this I just hear my Texas mom say, “Bless their little hearts, they must have been raised by wolves.”

BABYFACE

I am only 53 and I remember when some restaurants required a jacket in addition to slacks. Even back in the early 90’s, some cruise lines required semi formal dress for some of the dinner services.

I am for wearing my shorts and golf shirt out to dinner. But, I also appreciated when I had to wear slacks to a high end restaurant and I appreciated it because it made that occasion more special.

Bob

Maybe Ty should have had his draft party at the Western Bar in Cloudcroft. They don't even care if you wear shoes, much less what kind.

Purp

haha there are some mental gymnastics going on to honestly believe this policy isn't racially motivated.

What if the club had a policy that didn't allow pleated slacks, New Balances, or reading glasses? And then said they had an issue with people falling asleep at the club and it's a real mood killer. Would you say, "Guess that's their policy," or wonder if they were targeting old people?

Air Force 1s and Jordans are typically worn by black guys. People starting fights because their shoes got stepped on is almost uniquely a black issue. Basketball shorts aren't solely worn by black people, but I'd say they're pretty popular. Baggy pants are the same way.

Practically every bar on West 7th is worried about not being popular with white girls. Since my days at TCU, I've heard numerous girls veto various bars on 7th because "there's always a bunch of black guys there now." They're not worried about the TCU football players; they're worried about the guys who dropped out of high school.

The policy might have a valid reasoning behind it, but it still seems pretty racially motivated.
I see far more racism in this post than i do in that dress code. I also know as many white people who collect Jordans as black people. There isn't anything "typically worn by black guys" about them. Similarly, I'm pretty sure fights being started because Jordans got stepped on is not "almost uniquely a black issue" either.

The dress code is the dress code and I see nothing racially motivated about it. I can't say the same for your post, however. That said, I fully support your right to post it on the interwebs for all to see.

Zubaz

Shocking that a legitimate business establishment should be allowed to formulate a dress code in order

to foster some sense of civility.
You're suggesting that brand new $200-$300 shoes are not "civil"? Or maybe just the people that wear are not "civil"?

TCUdirtbag

As usual, a lot of people don’t get it. The article doesn’t do a good job, but the point is:

There is a trend that many bars etc. maintain but inconsistently enforce dress codes. The inconsistent enforcement heavily trends toward light enforcement for white folks and heavy enforcement for black folks.

The allegation is that the policy itself is crafted to restrict style/dress typically popular in black culture and that the enforcement trend shows that the whole point is to be able to have a papered excuse for racial discrimination.

As usual, a lot of people don’t get it. The article doesn’t do a good job, but the point is:

There is a trend that many bars etc. maintain but inconsistently enforce dress codes. The inconsistent enforcement heavily trends toward light enforcement for white folks and heavy enforcement for black folks.

The allegation is that the policy itself is crafted to restrict style/dress typically popular in black culture and that the enforcement trend shows that the whole point is to be able to have a papered excuse for racial discrimination.
Do you have any data to back this assertion up, or are you just making it up? Because this sure sounds a lot like race baiting/race hustling that Jesse Jackson would applaud.

Frog Island

As a couple posters said earlier, yes a restaurant or establishment can enforce a dress code. But the question here is, WHO is this dress code meant for? I've grown up around a multiracial and multicultural environment. I have many friend and family members from different backgrounds and races. So not overt, there is some sense here on who they are trying to limit.

Their website says:
Baggy Clothing, Non-Military Issued Camouflage, Air Jordans, Air Force Ones, Polo Boots, Timberlands, Solid Tshirts, Sports Attire & Offensive Clothing

Those are very specific. It does not say sneakers. It specificlaly lists out Jordans and Air Force Ones. Dons't say boots, but specifically says Timberland's boots and Polo Boots. Dosn't say tshirts, but Solid Tshirts (meaning White Ts). Should I go on?

Come one man. If you still can't see it, it's because you don't want to.