• The KillerFrogs

Who has a TCU class ring?

Brog

Wish I could take a picture of mine and include it here, but being it shows I'm in the class of 1951, I obviously don't know how to do stuff like that. But it doesn't have a stone in the middle, all gold (I think gold), has a nice horned frog on the side and the TCU seal in the middle, and says BA 1951 and adds Disciplina est Facultas. I think it cost me about $40 when I got it.

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
Good looking ring, but did they abandon the universal design? Or did you just go custom elsewhere?

Thanks, they do still use the universal design.

I asked the rep if they had any other types of ring designs. She hesitatingly showed me this design and said it's typically for Alumni who didn't buy a ring back in the day but want one now.

I liked it more than the other design so I went with it. I'm fairly certain no other students got one like it.

6Frog6

Man those rings are ugly. Mine is gold with a purple stone surrounded by Texas Christian University. One side has a Horned Frog with a 7 and a 3 on either side of the Frogs head and the other side has a the chapel with BBA at the top. I never take it off.
Got a similar one in '66 but with BA. Wore it everyday in Vietnam 68-69; not sure if it brought good luck but I got back in one piece.

hometown frog

Pleased with how mine turnt out...

That’s exactly how my ring looks but instead of the purple stone in the center I’ve got the arched TCU letters and a diamond under the ‘C.’ I love mine. Like another poster, I’ve worn it every day since I walked the stage back in ‘98

Word of warning tho: Robert Carr roofing puts a serious callous on the inside of your pinky finger as you attend sporting events and clap....

PurplFrawg

Administrator
Collections Fine Jewelry in Saginaw has a mold and can make the traditional class ring with your degree and graduation year on it. They have Carr Chapel on one side and a horned frog on the other side. It is located just north of Loop 820 on Saginaw Blvd, which is a continuation of North Main Street. They make excellent jewelry...ask for Steve Bost. He used my original from 1972 as a pattern.

I have a class ring from 1956 which is considerably larger and heavier than the current rings. Large purple stone

inlaid with gold fraternity letters. I wear it frequently.

Limp Lizard

I have one. 1970, made by Haltom's. I often wear it out, but not always. Like to show where I went to school.

Not as big a deal as an aggi ring, they swoon when they see another aggi.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Have a class of 74 that i wore pretty much every day until about 5 years ago. Got lots of comments and a few interesting experiences. As mentioned earlier while sitting at a Houston Marriott lobby several visiting Reds including Bench, Seaver, Perez, et al were sitting around me waiting to go to the Dome and some kid was autograph hunting looking for World Series rings. I guess when you’re 10 one ring looks like another and this kid comes up to me holding the previous nights program wanting me to sign it. Right across from me was big Ted Kluszewski, then a coach, who [ James'd ] an eye brow to see what I would do, I guess. I just said I’m no one, wrong ring.

Another time I was visiting a friend’s son who was a plebe at Annapolis. My wife and I were honored by being the only two civilians to eat in the mess with entire midshipman corps. You’d think they’d know the difference (especially with a purple stone), but after the commence fire bell (the order to eat and speak) an underclassman asks very formally, “Sir, may I ask when you graduated?” I had to chuckle and replied, “Of course, classof 1974 Texas Christian University.” He looked a bit embarrassed and got some good natured razzing.

Zubaz

The Aggies didn't start the class ring tradition. That tradition was started by the US Military Academy at West Point in 1835, more than 40 years before A&M began operations.
1) Kinda doubting you'll get a response, since you're quoting a 6 year old post from a guy that hasn't been around in more than a year.
2) That's exactly what he said. Hence the "Everyone else is just lame copycats. Find your own tradition. Yeah, I'm talking to you, aggies."

HG73

I was given mine by a girlfriend in 1970. Wore it every day of my life until a few months ago when increasing arthritis made it difficult to take off and on. I've gotten a ton of comments on it over the years, all positive. A bit of ring trivia: If you wear one before graduating, it should be worn so that the inscription (Texas Christian University) is oriented towards the wearer. After graduation it is reversed so that someone with whom you are shaking hands can read it. In the first couple of years, the little horns on the Frog would rub a sore spot on the inside of my middle finger; now is has all rubbed so smooth that it is becoming hard to read. Am thinking seriously about having it recast by a custom jeweler. Now, how many of you still have one of these?

th_beanie002.jpg
th_beanie003.jpg
I do. Somewhere.

WhatTheFrog

Late to the party, but I haven't seen one like mine yet.

Backstory...my folks made a deal with each of us in high school. They would either pay for 14k in high school and do nothing for a college ring, or we could opt for 10k for high school and pay for a 14k college ring. I opted for the 10k high school ring because I KNEW I would go to and graduate college. 11 years later, I basically got a ring in order to make my parents follow through with their commitment. I haven't worn it very often, and it doesn't fit me at the moment, but it's still a reminder of those times.

20190429_155411.jpg 20190429_155428.jpg 20190429_155523.jpg

Atom

I got a high school ring but lost it in the ball pit at the McDonald's in Lamesa. Decided to not get a college ring that I would also lose.