• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Collier becomes the 13th first-round selection in TCU history

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/4/25/football-collier-a-first-round-pick-of-seattle.aspx

Collier a First-Round Pick of Seattle

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- TCU defensive end L.J. Collier was selected Thursday night in the first round by the Seattle Seahawks with the 29th overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Collier, who earned his TCU degree, is the 13th first-round draft pick in Horned Frogs history and the fifth under head coach Gary Patterson. Four of those first-round draft picks with Patterson have come in the last 10 years.

A first-team All-Big 12 selection in 2018, Collier placed second on TCU with his career-high 6.0 sacks and 11.5 tackles for loss. He also tied for third on the team with four pass breakups, the most by a defensive lineman.

A Munday, Texas, native, Collier closed his TCU career with 2.0 tackles for loss, including a sack, as part of four stops in the 10-7 overtime win versus Cal in the Cheez-It Bowl. He had a career-best eight tackles in the 14-13 victory over Kansas State.

Collier totaled 82 tackles in his TCU career, including 20.5 for a loss with 14.5 sacks.

Collier joins former TCU teammate and center Joey Hunt with the Seahawks. Hunt is entering his fourth season with Seattle after being a sixth-round pick in 2016.

Patterson has now had 46 players drafted with a total of 114 in NFL camps in 19 seasons. ESPN.com has previously ranked TCU No. 1 in the nation for developing NFL talent.

TCU's First-Round NFL Draft Picks
1936 – Jimmy Lawrence, WB, Chicago Cardinals
1937 – Sam Baugh, QB, Washington Redskins
1939 – Ki Aldrich, C, Chicago Cardinals
1939 – Davey O'Brien, QB, Philadelphia Eagles
1958 – Jim Shofner, DB, Cleveland Browns
1960 – Jack Spikes, FB, Denver Broncos
1961 – Bob Lilly, DT, Dallas Cowboys
1970 – Norm Bulaich, RB, Baltimore Colts
2001 – LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego Chargers
2010 – Jerry Hughes, DE, Indianapolis Colts
2014 – Jason Verrett, CB, San Diego Chargers
2016 – Josh Doctson, WR, Washington Redskins
2019 – L.J. Collier, DE, Seattle Seahawks

RufeBruton

I remember when Bulaich was drafted in 1970. While I enjoyed going to Frog games during my Freshman year, hearing Norm was drafted elevated my understanding of TCU football. Our little school was, in fact, BIG TIME.

Boomhauer

https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/4/25/football-collier-a-first-round-pick-of-seattle.aspx

Collier a First-Round Pick of Seattle

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- TCU defensive end L.J. Collier was selected Thursday night in the first round by the Seattle Seahawks with the 29th overall pick in the 2019 NFL Draft.

Collier, who earned his TCU degree, is the 13th first-round draft pick in Horned Frogs history and the fifth under head coach Gary Patterson. Four of those first-round draft picks with Patterson have come in the last 10 years.

A first-team All-Big 12 selection in 2018, Collier placed second on TCU with his career-high 6.0 sacks and 11.5 tackles for loss. He also tied for third on the team with four pass breakups, the most by a defensive lineman.

A Munday, Texas, native, Collier closed his TCU career with 2.0 tackles for loss, including a sack, as part of four stops in the 10-7 overtime win versus Cal in the Cheez-It Bowl. He had a career-best eight tackles in the 14-13 victory over Kansas State.

Collier totaled 82 tackles in his TCU career, including 20.5 for a loss with 14.5 sacks.

Collier joins former TCU teammate and center Joey Hunt with the Seahawks. Hunt is entering his fourth season with Seattle after being a sixth-round pick in 2016.

Patterson has now had 46 players drafted with a total of 114 in NFL camps in 19 seasons. ESPN.com has previously ranked TCU No. 1 in the nation for developing NFL talent.

TCU's First-Round NFL Draft Picks
1936 – Jimmy Lawrence, WB, Chicago Cardinals
1937 – Sam Baugh, QB, Washington Redskins
1939 – Ki Aldrich, C, Chicago Cardinals
1939 – Davey O'Brien, QB, Philadelphia Eagles
1958 – Jim Shofner, DB, Cleveland Browns
1960 – Jack Spikes, FB, Denver Broncos
1961 – Bob Lilly, DT, Dallas Cowboys
1970 – Norm Bulaich, RB, Baltimore Colts
2001 – LaDainian Tomlinson, RB, San Diego Chargers
2010 – Jerry Hughes, DE, Indianapolis Colts
2014 – Jason Verrett, CB, San Diego Chargers
2016 – Josh Doctson, WR, Washington Redskins
2019 – L.J. Collier, DE, Seattle Seahawks

Man, that gap from 1970-2001.

Leap Frog

I remember when Bulaich was drafted in 1970. While I enjoyed going to Frog games during my Freshman year, hearing Norm was drafted elevated my understanding of TCU football. Our little school was, in fact, BIG TIME.
First time I set eyes on Norm was in 1965, when he was on the freshman team. He ran the North Texas frosh ragged in Denton, and I just knew the Frogs would win a NC during his time .Didn't happen (maybe because of all the injuries) but sure had me hoping.
Almost forgot that the lovely Betty Buckley was a cheerleader for TCU that night.

FrogAbroad

do you mean know the name or do mean actually watching them play?
Either/Or. I remember seeing them play via TV of the late '50s before their move to St Louis. Mostly I remember Larry Wilson's ability to knock the slobber out of any receiver unfortunate enough to have the ball in Wilson's hitting range. These Cards were the ones who virtually invented the safety blitz, courtesy of Mr. Wilson.

Eight

Either/Or. I remember seeing them play via TV of the late '50s before their move to St Louis. Mostly I remember Larry Wilson's ability to knock the slobber out of any receiver unfortunate enough to have the ball in Wilson's hitting range. These Cards were the ones who virtually invented the safety blitz, courtesy of Mr. Wilson.

i remember my dad talking about larry wilson playing against the cowboys, but that was playing for the st louis cardinals.

i have heard of the chicago cardinals, but can't say i recall ever seeing them or hearing them on the radio or television

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
First time I set eyes on Norm was in 1965, when he was on the freshman team. He ran the North Texas frosh ragged in Denton, and I just knew the Frogs would win a NC during his time .Didn't happen (maybe because of all the injuries) but sure had me hoping.
Almost forgot that the lovely Betty Buckley was a cheerleader for TCU that night.

Didn’t Bulaich run sprints on the track team too. For some reason I seem to recall he ran a 9.8 when it was 100 yard. Still pretty quick for a large man.