• The KillerFrogs

Rock Bottom...TCU Baseball...

Punter1

Just lost our 5th game outta 6 to some pretty mediocre teams in, lets face it, horrible fashion.

Defense has been a joke, I mean a joke...pitching has been awful (especially the pen) and hitting for the most part hasn't been good either.

I know we have been down 2 projected weekend starters most of the year ( JJ and Big Russ Smith)...and 1 important reliever ( C Sloan)...but this team should be so much better then it is. The talent is still there...I just dont get it and I dont remember our baseball team ever looking this bad since Schloss took over.

I know Schloss has said this is his most frustrating team he's ever coached...so here's hoping someone pushes the right buttons and they go on a 10-2 run the next 3 weeks.

PurpleBlood87

Just lost our 5th game outta 6 to some pretty mediocre teams in, lets face it, horrible fashion.

Defense has been a joke, I mean a joke...pitching has been awful (especially the pen) and hitting for the most part hasn't been good either.

I know we have been down 2 projected weekend starters most of the year ( JJ and Big Russ Smith)...and 1 important reliever ( C Sloan)...but this team should be so much better then it is. The talent is still there...I just dont get it and I dont remember our baseball team ever looking this bad since Schloss took over.

I know Schloss has said this is his most frustrating team he's ever coached...so here's hoping someone pushes the right buttons and they go on a 10-2 run the next 3 weeks.

DBU and UTA are hardly mediocre teams.

Pharm Frog

“You’ve got to play good baseball and ultimately that’s on me. I haven’t coached this team any different and it seems like the things we’re the worst at are the things that we work at the most and the things we talk about the most. The more we do it, the worse we get. I’ve never had a team that doesn’t get an out on a bunt.” Schloss from today's Startlegram

First, since this a completely different team perhaps some degree of coaching differently may have been in order.

Secondly, yes...we have had teams that struggled mightily against small ball. This year's team takes it to a whole new level of futility however.

party frog

Worst team coach has ever had and it’s the first time he has brought in this many JC transfers.

Need to take a couple a seasons and rebuild the right way. I’m ok watching freshman struggle. Watching juniors play this poorly is too much. I stopped watching a few weeks ago.

Punter1

“You’ve got to play good baseball and ultimately that’s on me. I haven’t coached this team any different and it seems like the things we’re the worst at are the things that we work at the most and the things we talk about the most. The more we do it, the worse we get. I’ve never had a team that doesn’t get an out on a bunt.” Schloss from today's Startlegram

First, since this a completely different team perhaps some degree of coaching differently may have been in order.

Secondly, yes...we have had teams that struggled mightily against small ball. This year's team takes it to a whole new level of futility however.

I agree...there probably should be some different coaching tactics going on or maybe lineup moves because what has been taught this year ain't working with these dudes.

I wouldn't mind seeing Adam O at 3rd and Wolfe back at SS...but obviously this team is gripping hard, pressing when they know the bunt is coming. No way to get out of it besides making 3 or 4 put outs in a row to loosen everyone up.

Pharm Frog

I agree...there probably should be some different coaching tactics going on or maybe lineup moves because what has been taught this year ain't working with these dudes.

I wouldn't mind seeing Adam O at 3rd and Wolfe back at SS...but obviously this team is gripping hard, pressing when they know the bunt is coming. No way to get out of it besides making 3 or 4 put outs in a row to loosen everyone up.

You start with Humphreys behind the plate and Isola at DH and go from there IMO.

Eight

Worst team coach has ever had and it’s the first time he has brought in this many JC transfers.

Need to take a couple a seasons and rebuild the right way. I’m ok watching freshman struggle. Watching juniors play this poorly is too much. I stopped watching a few weeks ago.

most of the pitchers who can't throw strikes and when they do get hit have been here since their freshman seasons

believe cook and williamson are the only juco pitchers currently on the roster. 9 pitchers with an era over 4.00, 8 signed out of high school, and 4 have been in the program at least 2 years (janczak makes it 5 but his situation is a bit different)

the transfers are in the field and while i can't defend the play in the field you have two parts of the roster made up of talent brought in different paths and neither one is killing it right now.

flyfishingfrog

You start with Humphreys behind the plate and Isola at DH and go from there IMO.
I think you do both of those, move AO to 3rd, Wolfe back to SS to see if he can click with Henry again like they did before TCU and make both better and keep Keefer in RF.

That leaves Shep out but frankly both he and Isola have lost the midas touch at the plate - so maybe you give both a shot at DH to see if focusing on hitting helps either starting with Isola.

I agree with your comment yesterday that he seems to be wearing out behind the plate given the number of passed balls and WP's that he never got close too lately.

Pharm Frog

Can't recall too far back as things blend together but I think the 2013 team wasn't very strong.

party frog

I see lack of execution in the field, managing at bats, and throwing strikes. All things TCU teams have done well in the past.

Maybe you are right, they are just playing tight. Maybe too many JC players has resulted in them pressing too much under the the pressure to perform now.

re the bullpen. Maybe Eis, King, Feldman etc. pitched in most of the high pressure situations last season, and the younger guys still need a season to figure it out.

Salfrog

Tier 1
A part of me still thinks this is a carry over from JS taking the MSU job last year, then coming back after so much confusion on MSU's side for not making an announcement.

The players aren't focusing, and I believe JS is still trying to refocus after that cluster ****.

Punter1

Yea...forgot to say that. ZH is like a SS behind the plate...much more nimble on bunts and obviously just a better overall defensive catcher.

There.. we solved it. Adam O at 3rd, Wolfe to SS...ZH behind the plate, Isola DHing...and whoever can catch a fly ball in right.

flyfishingfrog

Not even close to rock bottom. You might find out what that looks like next year though.
we haven't played Kansas yet and have the top performing teams in the conference all remaining on our schedule - so I might hold off on that optimism for this year.

Curios what Schloss' perspective on the fact that Baylor has risen from the ashes with their new coach at the same time we have faltered - even though they have exactly the same tuition cost issue we have.